Why more women at Rush Shows

losingit2k

You know, I took my sister to see them on the Counterparts tour which was her first Rush show. She laughed when she looked around and said that she now fully understood what the word minority meant. I had never noticed at the previous tours but in hindsight I knew she was right. When I went to see them support VT there were a lot more women than before. I figured that it was wives/girlfriends. It was not until I started hanging out here that I noticed that there were so many female fans.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rushchick10 @ Nov 24 2010, 08:24 PM)
QUOTE (garbo @ Nov 20 2010, 10:27 AM)
OMGZ, a man got me into RUSH!!!  I fail at life!!!  wink.gif 

No, I just sometimes get tired of the stereotype. Almost like, women aren't smart enough to find them on their own. I was a young musician at the time, and I fell in love with their unique sound, their amazing songwriting, and Geddy's voice. wub.gif wub.gif

To be honest, there are very few bands and artists I've just found completely on my own. Usually I hear them somewhere else, or on the radio or something, and then I look up aaaaalllll their music. Or a friend will tell me about them, or I'll be browsing through my folks' albums.. Kinda weird, yeah, but that's how it's always worked for me.

I started listening in 1994, and it was my sister and brother who got me into them. I've been going to shows religiously, every tour, since Counterparts in 1994, and am pretty bummed that I'll be missing out on seeing them this tour - lack of funds to travel to a show, cause for the first time they won't be coming to the Massachusetts/New Hampshire area.

Due to age, I never got to go to older Rush shows, but I've noticed an increase in women since S&A tour. I wonder if more went to this tour because it was promoted as playing Moving Pictures so they were guaranteed a lot of the hits. I noticed that most of the women around me knew the Moving Pictures songs pretty well. Maybe Moving Pictures had some commercial success with women that attracted them to this tour.

honestly (prepares to duck) Moving Pictures is one of my lesser favorite albums (keep in mind that I still love it - I love ALL Rush, no lie). I try not to listen to Tom Sawyer, because it's the only song you really ever hear played on Radio here in New Hampshire.

Although I graduated from high school the year 2112 came out, Rush was totally off of my radar until I married a Rush fan. I was already in my 30's and fell immediately in love with Geddy's voice. I also loved Neil's rhyming lyrics in "The Enemy Within." I gradually came to appreciate Alex's guitar as well. I'm not a musician, so had a hard time distinguishing the different instruments at first! Don't laugh, it's not easy being a non-musician and a Rush fan. These boards are filled with musicians!

Partly because of finances and partly because we live out in the sticks, my first concert was Snakes & Arrows. Their stage presence is so amazing - I became a true addict at that point. Last year I attended my first pre-concert get-together with fans, and was still disappointed that none of the women were avid fans. They all just seemed to be along for the ride, whereas, I'm probably a bigger fan than my husband now. We'll be travelling to Portland this summer for my 3rd Rush concert. Would love to meet some more female fans.

Welcome to the board! I too am a (very) recent Rush initiate - my first show was last year. I'm going to the Toledo and Hershey shows this year, and it looks like I'll be the only girl at the Toledo meetup (and I'm bringing my boyfriend, who only sorta likes Rush)! Oh well, guys are fun to hang with, but there are times I wish I lived closer to the other "Rush chicks"! I know there's plenty going to Portland, so be sure and check the Time Machine Hot Tub in the Time Machine section - I think there's a meetup in the works!

Edit: Just popped over there and there's nothing in the thread about it - I'm hoping some of those going to Portland can comment.

Edited by 1 of the 7

QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 3 2011, 10:10 AM)
Although I graduated from high school the year 2112 came out, Rush was totally off of my radar until I married a Rush fan. I was already in my 30's and fell immediately in love with Geddy's voice. I also loved Neil's rhyming lyrics in "The Enemy Within." I gradually came to appreciate Alex's guitar as well. I'm not a musician, so had a hard time distinguishing the different instruments at first! Don't laugh, it's not easy being a non-musician and a Rush fan. These boards are filled with musicians!

Partly because of finances and partly because we live out in the sticks, my first concert was Snakes & Arrows. Their stage presence is so amazing - I became a true addict at that point. Last year I attended my first pre-concert get-together with fans, and was still disappointed that none of the women were avid fans. They all just seemed to be along for the ride, whereas, I'm probably a bigger fan than my husband now. We'll be travelling to Portland this summer for my 3rd Rush concert. Would love to meet some more female fans.

Welcome to TRF trink39.gif

I notice you are in BC. Not going to the Vancouver show? I'm going to be there and at the Gorge in WA. But I know several Rush gals will be at the Portland show. Keep checking the meet-up threads....

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 3 2011, 10:14 PM)
QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 3 2011, 10:10 AM)
Although I graduated from high school the year 2112 came out, Rush was totally off of my radar until I married a Rush fan.  I was already in my 30's and fell immediately in love with Geddy's voice.  I also loved Neil's rhyming lyrics in "The Enemy Within."  I gradually came to appreciate Alex's guitar as well. I'm not a musician, so had a hard time distinguishing the different instruments at first!  Don't laugh, it's not easy being a non-musician and a Rush fan.  These boards are filled with musicians! 

Partly because of finances and partly because we live out in the sticks, my first concert was Snakes & Arrows.  Their stage presence is so amazing - I became a true addict at that point.  Last year I attended my first pre-concert get-together with fans, and was still disappointed that none of the women were avid fans. They all just seemed to be along for the ride, whereas, I'm probably a bigger fan than my husband now.  We'll be travelling to Portland this summer for my 3rd Rush concert.  Would love to meet some more female fans.

Welcome to TRF trink39.gif

I notice you are in BC. Not going to the Vancouver show? I'm going to be there and at the Gorge in WA. But I know several Rush gals will be at the Portland show. Keep checking the meet-up threads....

We had hoped to attend the Vancouver show, but the Rush Tour Management folks hadn't nailed down a date by the time the Portland tickets went on sale. My husband and I fell in love with Washington and Oregon last year when we vacationed there. The Rush concert at White River was one of the highlights of our trip, but our entire time in the U.S. was great, so we decided to go to the Portland show. Of course, they announced the Vancouver date the day after I bought the tickets. The shows are too close together to attend both.

Thanks for the welcome note. I spend a lot of time at the rushisaband site too; I only recently discovered this board with the New World Women section.

QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 3 2011, 09:44 PM)

We had hoped to attend the Vancouver show, but the Rush Tour Management folks hadn't nailed down a date by the time the Portland tickets went on sale. My husband and I fell in love with Washington and Oregon last year when we vacationed there. The Rush concert at White River was one of the highlights of our trip, but our entire time in the U.S. was great, so we decided to go to the Portland show. Of course, they announced the Vancouver date the day after I bought the tickets. The shows are too close together to attend both.

Thanks for the welcome note. I spend a lot of time at the rushisaband site too; I only recently discovered this board with the New World Women section.

Yeah, they waffled with that date, didn't they? I was guessing at June 30 because of the dates around it. Thankfully, I was right.

We have friends in Vancouver, too, meaning we have somewhere to stay. So it won out over the Portland show for that reason.

We NWW are a nice bunch. We sometimes get a bit carried away, though. Our boys sometimes make us crazy with teh hawt wink.gif

QUOTE (HowItIs @ Mar 4 2011, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 3 2011, 09:44 PM)

We had hoped to attend the Vancouver show, but the Rush Tour Management folks hadn't nailed down a date by the time the Portland tickets went on sale.  My husband and I fell in love with Washington and Oregon last year when we vacationed there.  The Rush concert at White River was one of the highlights of our trip, but our entire time in the U.S. was great, so we decided to go to the Portland show.  Of course, they announced the Vancouver date the day after I bought the tickets.  The shows are too close together to attend both.

Yeah, they waffled with that date, didn't they? I was guessing at June 30 because of the dates around it. Thankfully, I was right.

We have friends in Vancouver, too, meaning we have somewhere to stay. So it won out over the Portland show for that reason.

We NWW are a nice bunch. We sometimes get a bit carried away, though. Our boys sometimes make us crazy with teh hawt wink.gif

I had hoped the Vancouver date would be after the Gorge. I find it strange that they are crossing the border, and then back again, especially on a long weekend for both countries. But I guess they have connections - border crossings are no hassle for them.

How do you add those dates at the bottom of your posts?

QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 4 2011, 11:18 AM)

You can just go to My Controls > Personal Profile (a dropdown menu will appear) > Edit Signature. (:

And just type whatever you like right in that box!

Hope that helps.

And, of course, welcome to TRF!

QUOTE (CMWriter @ Mar 4 2011, 05:28 PM)
QUOTE (On TheRoad To Adventure @ Mar 4 2011, 11:18 AM)

You can just go to My Controls > Personal Profile (a dropdown menu will appear) > Edit Signature. (:

And just type whatever you like right in that box!

Hope that helps.

And, of course, welcome to TRF!

Thanks, and thanks for the welcome. This is a nice place. cool.gif

Hi girls!! My husband got me into Rush about 2 years and tomorrow night in Birmingham I'm gonna see them for the first time. Really excited!!

in reply to original post. im 31 this year (groan!!!) iv been a fan of rush since i can remember. my parents (mom and dad) are fans. so, i grew up listening to 80's rush...and 70's. but for me, this band induced my love of electronic music. from an early age, i was fasinated with their story telling in their songs. 2112 is my favorite song of all time, the consept of this song is fasinating to me. im a lot of a sci-fi geek! this was one of the first songs i heared when i was about 6 or 7 years old and when my father explained the story to me it sparked my imagination and it hasnt left me since! i actualy dont have many friends who know of this music, which i do find strange. i am just glad to have known their music in my life time. as an artist myself (of the visual kind) i am glad to have their influence. and i am glad that i will see them perform tomorrow night at the LG arena in birmingham. biggrin.gif

btw...i am very dyslexic, so sorry for spelling and stuff!!!

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ May 21 2011, 03:53 PM)
Hi girls!! My husband got me into Rush about 2 years and tomorrow night in Birmingham I'm gonna see them for the first time. Really excited!!

I haven't welcomed you yet, so bekloppt.gif ! Hope you enjoy it here and come back with lots to tell about your first show! I went to mine last September, and it was life-changing...so glad to see others about to experience the high I'm still on!

I got myself into Rush when I was 18 almost 30 years ago now, been a fan ever since, musically nothing else compares, lyrically nothing else resonates with me like Neil's lyrics do.

Tonight I'm wearing my 1988 Hold Your Fire tour shirt, despite the holes, that was the first time I saw them live. I shall revisit and read the rest of the posts later, off to finish getting ready for Brum.... Neil I'm on my way..... cheer.gif

GRC tongue.gif

I'm a fairly "new" Rush girl- I've been into them since September 2006, when I was 18. My boyfriend at the time introduced me to the Holy Triumvirate (he was older than me so he was a fan of Rush when Hold Your Fire came out- he was in high school). However, I quickly surpassed him in my fanaticism (common theme, I guess)!

Thanks to rushisaband.com and Facebook, I have discovered this whole network of Rush Rats! Incredible!

I was browsing through Omaha World Herald archives (couldn't find any concerning their first or second gigs in Omaha though! :C) and I guess that at the.. I believe it was Presto tour in '90 there were quite a few women at the show. I believe the writer said something along the lines of a "surprising" amount of women there.

So maybe the trend started then or something? Could be demographics, could be some other reason.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 30 2011, 10:43 AM)
I don't know why but it sure has changed. I remember in the 80's you could count the females on one hand.
Let's hear it for Women and Rush!!!! cheer.gif

I'll join in with that! cheer.gif

One of the things I noticed was that the queue for the ladies just didn't exist! I walked straight in! It was a new one on me.

QUOTE (LyndseyG @ Jun 30 2011, 05:05 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 30 2011, 10:43 AM)
I don't know why but it sure has changed. I remember in the 80's you could count the females on one hand.
Let's hear it for Women and Rush!!!!  cheer.gif

I'll join in with that! cheer.gif

One of the things I noticed was that the queue for the ladies just didn't exist! I walked straight in! It was a new one on me.

A propos: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parent...?entry_id=91856

I did the same thing at my first Rush show laugh.gif

Gilby just told me a story about when he went to an Iron Maiden concert and actually went into and used the ladies coz didn't want to queue!