Does Geddy Lee still think Neil is strange?

HereAgain

After watching the excellent documentary, do you guys think that Geddy still thinks that Neil is a bit strange. I know he respects him as a fellow bandmate and musician, but something tells me that these two just don't click personality-wise. What do you guys think?

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 11 2010, 02:53 PM)
I'm sure they get along, but they are different in personality I think.

+1

Plus, If they didn't get along, Rush probably wouldn't have lasted long. They seemed to be hamming it up just fine in the 'Dinner at the Hunting Lodge' documentary extra.

Watch the documentary again. Pay attention to the part where Geddy is talking about the first show back, how they all had a "group hug," how he took it upon himself to make sure Neil was enjoying himself. Watch as Geddy starts to get emotional when speaking about it...

He loves the guy, no question. I think where people think that Geddy and Neil (or Alex and Neil, for that matter) don't "mesh" is from Neil being such a solitary person. I think he is that way with most people. I think he and Geddy get along just fine. yes.gif

Well hell, my wife is a little strange, and she thinks the same of me sometimes. Aren't we all in one way or another? Strange != bad.

These guys have been friends for ~40 years, a little less for Neil, but still, well over 3.5 decades. You don't last that long in a band without being friends first, musicians second.

QUOTE (Ted Barchetta @ Sep 11 2010, 03:58 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Sep 11 2010, 02:53 PM)
I'm sure they get along, but they are different in personality I think.

+1

Plus, If they didn't get along, Rush probably wouldn't have lasted long.

+2

Yep, it's how most friendships are really. They all have different personalities, and they all are great friends.

I think they get along just fine. Sometimes in a friendship or relationship it's not always a bad thing that the two people may be different personality wise. You do want similar interests but if you're too much alike and it's too much of the same thing you can get bored with it. When you're different from each other each person brings something special to it and can open the other one up to new experiences, ideas etc.

Geddy's friendly and a goofball. While Neil is mostly solitary and serious. They balance each other out and give the friendship some variety.

QUOTE (HereAgain @ Sep 11 2010, 05:50 PM)
After watching the excellent documentary, do you guys think that Geddy still thinks that Neil is a bit strange. I know he respects him as a fellow bandmate and musician, but something tells me that these two just don't click personality-wise. What do you guys think?

I would bet that ged feels pretty ostracized by Neil's disappearing act over the past 10+ years. Neil has no excuse for blowing off all recent Rush non-concert get togethers

Neil IS a strange dude......obviously.....

Geddy and Alex have always documented and appreciated the difference he has brought to the band...

And yes, Geddy still does think that Neil is an introvert (strange nerd) and if you saw the doc, it has nothing to do with his success, fame or his tragedies, he has always been that way, ever since his teens. Neil is a strange bird......

Neil is a nerd genius.....

Alex is a joker genius....

Geddy is a super cool dude genius......

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 11 2010, 08:19 PM)
I would bet that ged feels pretty ostracized by Neil's disappearing act over the past 10+ years. 

I think you would lose that bet.

Neil has no excuse for blowing off all recent Rush non-concert get togethers.

Neil Peart does not need an "excuse" to do anything. He is a free man, and he is not obligated to hang out with Alex and Geddy 24/7. He doesn't have to live, act, or behave as we fans want.

Alex and Geddy have been best friends since childhood. That is a unique relationship, so it's impossible to bring in a 3rd guy and have them be the Three Amigos - of the same mind and personality.

I have NEVER seen any evidence of the guys not getting along. They're professionals as well as good friends. If Neil is more cerebral and private, then so what? It means absolutely nothing to the success and harmony of the band.

QUOTE (WIDE-ANGLE WATCHER @ Sep 11 2010, 08:59 PM)

It's not obvious to me at all.

What is so strange about Neil Peart? He values his privacy, he avoids the limelight, he's humble, he likes his books and motorcycle, he has a wife and child and lots of friends, he's extremely professional at his job, and he's really smart.

What is so "strange" about that?

QUOTE (Neil Peart @ Fireworks, The making of Hold Your Fire)

On a free day Geddy and I made an overnight trip up to London, treating ourselves to a stay at the prestigious Savoy hotel. We each had our own plans for the afternoon and evening, but met up in the venerable "American Bar" at the hotel for a drink in the late afternoon. We were both so stimulated by being out on the streets of London (and away from work), that our conversation was rich and various - about ourselves, our families, art, movies, our hopes for the future - and not a word about the work in progress! It was really nice how two people who work together every day, and had for so many years, could find fresh areas of stimulating conversation.

This sounds, to me, like someone talking about a friend

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 12 2010, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (Neil Peart @  Fireworks, The making of Hold Your Fire)

On a free day Geddy and I made an overnight trip up to London, treating ourselves to a stay at the prestigious Savoy hotel. We each had our own plans for the afternoon and evening, but met up in the venerable "American Bar" at the hotel for a drink in the late afternoon. We were both so stimulated by being out on the streets of London (and away from work), that our conversation was rich and various - about ourselves, our families, art, movies, our hopes for the future - and not a word about the work in progress! It was really nice how two people who work together every day, and had for so many years, could find fresh areas of stimulating conversation.

It's the ultimate in friendship, I believe.

You've been friends forever, and yet you can still go do and explore NEW things and have NEW conversations. How many of us would kill to have a friendship or relationship like that?

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 12 2010, 03:00 AM)

What is so strange about Neil Peart? He values his privacy, he avoids the limelight, he's humble, he likes his books and motorcycle, he has a wife and child and lots of friends, he's extremely professional at his job, and he's really smart.

+1

I don't think Neil's strange at all. Very smart, yet down to earth. Watch the hunting lodge bit, they all get along great.

QUOTE (Nathan @ Sep 12 2010, 12:59 PM)
QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 12 2010, 03:00 AM)

+1

I don't think Neil's strange at all. Very smart, yet down to earth. Watch the hunting lodge bit, they all get along great.

I think his lyricism, as a complete body of work, qualifies him as being a bit strange.

I think that his being a famous rock star who DOESN'T embrace the fame or the limelight, qualifies him as being a bit strange.

I think his position has one of the best, if not the best percussionist in the history of music qualifies him as being a bit strange.

I think his ability to rebound so eloquently after such overwhelming tragic events qualifies him as being a bit strange.

Maybe it is my definition of strange: unusual, extraordinary, ,uncommon, different, reserved, distant...

I think Neil Peart has all of these qualities.....

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Sep 12 2010, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Sep 12 2010, 02:40 AM)
QUOTE (Neil Peart @  Fireworks, The making of Hold Your Fire)

It's the ultimate in friendship, I believe.

You've been friends forever, and yet you can still go do and explore NEW things and have NEW conversations. How many of us would kill to have a friendship or relationship like that?

trink39.gif trink39.gif trink39.gif

Completely agree with this. It's obvious those 3 guys love and respect each other.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Sep 12 2010, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Sep 12 2010, 09:32 PM)
No shortage of white-knighting ass-suckery on this site. Who are you to make excuses for the guy?  Are u his self-appointed guardian angel?

Who peed in your Cheerios?

I've asked him the exact same question. laugh.gif

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed, all right.

Archived