The Last Exorcism (Stephen King's IT)

Mr. Not

The Last exorcism:

All horror movies coming out today are either remakes or in a POV/documentary form. It's stupid. Discuss.

Stephen King:

What happened to all the Stephen King films? The last one was The Mist and that seems so old now.. 2007..

I heard a new version of IT is going to be released in 2011, can't wait for that. It's basically the first film since the 1990 version was actually a tv series.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Aug 28 2010, 11:44 PM)
All new horror movies are shit!!! f**k all these remakes and newer films! I miss the good old days when all the gore and effects were done by talented people- now it's all this fake looking cgi bullshit!!! 062802puke_prv.gif

ah yes, the cgi too.. The Mist had terrible cgi and I hated it, 1408 was great however. 1408 was probably the last good horror movie released.

I like a good horror movie that is based on script moreso than gore. That was certainly John Carpenter's way of doing it until people started wanting more guts and gore in the films.

Sometimes what you don't see is scarier than what you do see. Jaws is a good example.

QUOTE (Enemy Within 77 @ Aug 29 2010, 06:44 AM)
All new horror movies are shit!!! f**k all these remakes and newer films! I miss the good old days when all the gore and effects were done by talented people- now it's all this fake looking cgi bullshit!!! 062802puke_prv.gif

I say forget the gore altogether and go back to the days when filmakers used atmospere and the audience theri imagination

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Aug 29 2010, 06:43 AM)
I like a good horror movie that is based on script moreso than gore. That was certainly John Carpenter's way of doing it until people started wanting more guts and gore in the films.

Sometimes what you don't see is scarier than what you do see. Jaws is a good example.

Jaws vs. Piranha 3d supports what you just said fully.

Which leads to another topic, the 3d trend... It's more annoying than the POV trend. Most of what is released is just showy entertainment, not a story like you said. The writing of the film is more important than the scare themselves. if the film just comes off as "look at this - isn't it scary? This ugly critter just popped up, did you jump?" it's as stupid as hell. The trailers I see for chick flicks are starting to look more appealing than the horror ones.

Storyline, acting, and suspense.. These are all more important in horror movies than gore, pop up scares, and POV/false documentaries..

Edited by Kenneth

QUOTE (MusicHead @ Aug 29 2010, 04:18 AM)
1408 was pretty good. I'd never read the story, so I wasn't jaded beforehand by how the movie messed up the tale.

1408 rocked! Great horror movie! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 29 2010, 09:54 AM)

I say forget the gore altogether and go back to the days when filmakers used atmospere and the audience theri imagination

Halloween & Psycho are two examples of great movies that relied on mood & tension to crank up the fright meter.

I heard nothing but good reviews of The Last Exorcism, I enjoy the faux documentary style adds more realism and suspense build up and at least doesn't rely on shock gore. Yep, liked Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity(be forewarned second installment coming in October!! rage.gif tongue.gif ) Sorta liked Cloverfield except the MTV glamor teen cast eyesre4.gif District Nine had elements of this style and was decent. One exception according to my wife who seen it with her girlfriends was The Fourth Kind which she said was terrible.... But I still have to see it and judge for myself! wink.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 29 2010, 03:45 PM)

Halloween & Psycho are two examples of great movies that relied on mood & tension to crank up the fright meter.

I hope you are referring to the original films, not the horrid remakes.

I have a documentary on "The Fog" DVD I have. Debra Hill said they had to go back in to add some more "gore" scenes to make it scarier. She referenced the movie "Scanners" which, at the time, was the first film to start using more guts.

I will say though that made for TV movie "Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (1981) is a damn good movie with regards to mood and not seeing the killer. Plus the music score is indeed creepy. It makes me feel uneasy.

Edited by circumstantial tree

My teenaged niece and nephew laughed at me when I told them that Poltergeist would freak them out. They're "experts" in horror movies, ya know.

They then came over and watched Poltergeist on my wide screen....with the room lights off.

They were freaked out........ laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 29 2010, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE (MusicHead @ Aug 29 2010, 04:18 AM)
1408 was pretty good.  I'd never read the story, so I wasn't jaded beforehand by how the movie messed up the tale.

1408 rocked! Great horror movie! 1022.gif

Loved 1408, and I had already read the story! The way I saw it, some liberties had to be taken with King's tale. On its own, it just wouldn't have been movie material - too short, for one.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 29 2010, 02:45 PM)

Same goes for The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. So many people consider it one of the first gore films, but if they actually watched it they'd see there's hardly any blood in it at all. It's all about the mood and characters. The "soundtrack" adds to the creepy factor too. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Workaholic Man @ Aug 29 2010, 06:57 PM)
My teenaged niece and nephew laughed at me when I told them that Poltergeist would freak them out. They're "experts" in horror movies, ya know.

They then came over and watched Poltergeist on my wide screen....with the room lights off.

They were freaked out........ laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I loved that movie, the clown was as scary as hell...

Looking forward to a proper screen version of IT. I loved the book, but John Boy Walton....ehhh.

King's books made into films by proper filmmakers usually bring the goods. When they're not, they're often horrible adaptations. That might be a bit of the obvious, but most of King's best films have come at the hands of established (or at least talented) directors....(Kubrick, Carpenter, Darabont, DePalma, Reiner, etc).

Edited by Presto-digitation

Saw Last Exorcism yesterday....not by any means a masterpiece but I enjoyed it....sort of a hybrid of The Exorcist and Blair Witch Project. The ending wasn't too original but was still cool. No real gore and no special effects that overtakes a movie like it does in so many flicks nowadays; especially in horror. More of a suspenseful psychological thriller.

I personally think it is way better than Paranormal Activity.

I'll give it a 6/10.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 30 2010, 04:45 AM)

Psycho will always be the best horror movie that really isn't a horror movie

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Sep 3 2010, 01:34 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Aug 30 2010, 04:45 AM)

Psycho will always be the best horror movie that really isn't a horror movie

Not a horror flick but one of the best GHOST story movies has to be 1980 release" The Changeling" starring George C Scott. scared.gif Creepy!!!

(Latest movie with same title not a remake of 80 original) tongue.gif

I haven't seen The Last Exorcism. I probably won't.

But I've seen the original Exorcist, a remake of The Exorcist, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, and Constantine.

In other words, I doubt I've missed anything.

I saw The Last Exorcism last night and didn't really feel very strongly about it either way. It felt like some things had been left out, and I can't help but wonder if they originally had an R rating.

I love the original Exorcist and thought the Exorcism of Emily Rose was pretty well done, Jennifer Carpenter did a wonderful job in her role as Emily.

And a remake of IT might be interesting, but I can't see anyone else but Tim Curry playing Pennywise.

I love horror movies and good ones have been hard to find lately. I've had better luck with foreign horror movies recently. Like [Rec], a Spanish horror movie from 2007 that I would highly recommend. The last 20 minutes of that film will always stick with me.

Also, Let the Right One In (Swedish), The Descent (UK- and the UK version/ending is the best, IMO) The Host (South Korea) and Oldboy (South Korea), to name a few.

QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Sep 9 2010, 03:47 PM)
I love horror movies and good ones have been hard to find lately.

I actually enjoyed Drag me to Hell recently. Not exactly true horror, but a fun film nonetheless.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Sep 9 2010, 09:48 PM)
QUOTE (VampireBiscuits @ Sep 9 2010, 03:47 PM)
I love horror movies and good ones have been hard to find lately.

I actually enjoyed Drag me to Hell recently. Not exactly true horror, but a fun film nonetheless.

I actually saw Drag Me to Hell a couple of weeks ago, I forget about that one! Definitely a fun movie, and I love fun and campy horror movies as much as true horror films! popcorn.gif

Edited by VampireBiscuits