Exit Stage Left

rdwsr64

First Rush album I bought at the time of it's release (along with Mob Rules by Black Sabbath). This album just has a magical feel about it to me. wub.gif Excellent selection of songs performed brilliantly at their peak period. All the side 2 tracks really shine here along with terrific versions of Red Barchetta and LVS

Represents my introduction to the band in many ways, because it was clips from this that I remember seeing on early MTV as a kid.

So when I became a fan some years later, I went out and got this first.

These days, it probably isn't a particularly essential piece of the Rush discography as it was then, but I still like the vibe. Some of the older songs like Bangkok and Beneath, Between, Behind are really rockin'.

Actually might be my favorite version of Bangkok... it is the only one I know of where Geddy plays the bottom of his double-neck (guitar) while doing bass with feet.

I'm frankly shocked at the lack of love for Exit..

Ok, perhaps I'm biased as it was the first Rush record I heard (a local pirate metal station used to play cuts from it). It has the definitive version of Passage to Bangkok, a blistering rendition of Beneath Between Behind, the best Xanadu I've heard by a mile, mind-blowing version of La Villa, and scorching versions of Freewill, Red Barchetta and Tom Sawyer.

What others might call 'overproduction' (which IMO is a gross exaggeration!!), I feel is Exit's sound and distinctiveness.

Just listened to it tonight for the first time in a long time... It introduced me to Rush (That and Signals) and it will always be a CLASSIC!!!!! Xanadu ---The only version better than that one is the (Then VHS now) DVD version, will forever remain the song that made Rush what it was to me..... And having been to a show just a month ago, I can't believe how fast they played back then!!! 2.gif 1022.gif

And it will always remain one of my favorites to drum along to! NeilFinal.gif

QUOTE (Silas Lang @ Aug 24 2010, 12:56 AM)
This album just has a magical feel about it to me. wub.gif Excellent selection of songs performed brilliantly at their peak period. All the side 2 tracks really shine here along with terrific versions of Red Barchetta and LVS

My absolute favorite 2.gif album.

I agree with SL 100%. 2.gif during their absolute peak, great selection of songs with their best performances, and my favorite versions Xanadu, La Villa, Bangkok, Jacobs Ladder, The Trees and many more.

1022.gif

Rush in their absolute sonic prime.

Definitive versions of:

Red Barchetta

Passage to Bangkok

Beneath, Between, Behind

Broons Bane/ The Trees/ Xanadu suite is the best album side ever.

La Villa Strangiato

Jacobs Ladder

Awesome live album and my numero uno.

Yes it lacks the energy of a live album but the performances are steller (yes I now some studio clean up no doubt).

It also contains Neils best drum solo ever.

I think it sounds like it was recorded in a cave somewhere, but Rush's showmanship is at its best on ESL. La Villa, Xanadu, Red Barchetta and even Tom Sawyer defnitive versions are in it.

Where exactly is this claimed "studio work" most noticeable on the album? My ears are not well trained enough to notice it. Some friends told me about live albums being fixed - AC/DC Live, Iron Maiden's Rock in Rio and a few others, but honestly, I can't hear it!!!! How can you guys tell the difference?

QUOTE (tel @ Aug 24 2010, 02:19 AM)
meh.

its ok ,but lacks passion.

almost to perfect which takes away from the live "feel" you get with for instance atwas or different stages (set3).

a show of hands is another album that leaves me cold for this reason.

QUOTE (Mystic Slipperman @ Aug 24 2010, 12:32 PM)
Yeah, exactly how much was "fixed" in the studio on this one?? Does anyone know?

Mostly Geddy on vocals. (Freewill bridge total re-record in the studio).

I had also heard a few little notes here and there for Alex on some solo's.

Archived