Different String ending solo

racegts

For everyone that has always continued to turn UP the volume on the ending of Different Strings to hear the BEGINNING of that great solo, only to hear it fade away much too soon, has anyone heard the following story...

After the album was done (but not 100% mixed down) the band said OK, then went on tour (or whatever) and the next time that Alex heard DS was after it was pressed and on the market and the screaming solo was faded out!!!!! when he went on for another 45, 55, 65, 85 seconds??? and he was pissed.

So, if the story is true, I would be willing to pay $$$ for a new re-release from the vault with the WHOLE solo.

Who's with me???? 2.gif

I am... you know he was just beginning to cook when it faded out. That was the last song I heard tonight before I got out of my car. So understated and badass.

I heard it from a freind who heard it from a friend who said that is why the Boyz said "Hey Alex don't worry we will give you a nice guitar intro on the next album"...thus the Trees intro. This friend is never wrong....never.

QUOTE (druid13 @ Aug 17 2010, 11:55 AM)
I heard it from a freind who heard it from a friend who said that is why the Boyz said "Hey Alex don't worry we will give you a nice guitar intro on the next album"...thus the Trees intro. This friend is never wrong....never.

I kind of hope you're joking, because The Trees came before Different Strings... wink.gif

QUOTE (tk4207 @ Aug 17 2010, 12:58 PM)

I kind of hope you're joking, because The Trees came before Different Strings... wink.gif

noooooooo.......what?

QUOTE (Drumnut @ Aug 17 2010, 01:45 AM)
If it exists, MitA knows...

different-strings-end

When in doubt, ask MitA: www.musicintheabstract.org

edit: I'm not sure if this includes what the original post is asking but www.musicintheabstract.org is always the best place to check first...

So I guess by this we're saying there was no alternate ending?

QUOTE (druid13 @ Aug 17 2010, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (tk4207 @ Aug 17 2010, 12:58 PM)

noooooooo.......what?

The Trees is on Hemispheres which came out in 1978. Different Strings is on Permanent Waves which came out in 1980.

I hope that clears up any confusion you may have wink.gif

QUOTE (racegts @ Aug 16 2010, 11:57 PM)
For everyone that has always continued to turn UP the volume on the ending of Different Strings to hear the BEGINNING of that great solo, only to hear it fade away much too soon, has anyone heard the following story...

After the album was done (but not 100% mixed down) the band said OK, then went on tour (or whatever) and the next time that Alex heard DS was after it was pressed and on the market and the screaming solo was faded out!!!!! when he went on for another 45, 55, 65, 85 seconds??? and he was pissed.

So, if the story is true, I would be willing to pay $$$ for a new re-release from the vault with the WHOLE solo.
Who's with me???? 2.gif

I don't think there is another version but I do specifically remember an interview that Alex gave many years ago with I think Guitar Player magazine where he talked about the out solo for that song.

He basically said that he hated leaving it to end where it did becuase the guitar was really starting to cook. He said he wishes they could have done more with it. As far as I know that is all that has ever been said about it. Maybe that is where the rumer came from.

I don't think Rush has ever re-recorded anything and I don't think they have ever played it live either.

Wonderful song I think.

QUOTE (racegts @ Aug 17 2010, 05:57 AM)
...and the screaming solo was faded out!!!!! when he went on for another 45, 55, 65, 85 seconds...

WHAT!? That long? I would settle for just another 15 seconds.

I have never heard this said before, but, if true, I would love to hear what it was they recorded after the fade-out.

I am not sure about the truth of the story though, because it would mean the person/people who did the final mixing faded the song out while they knew plainly that there was more material. I can't believe that someone would be so insensitive to the song's quality and depth such that they would just fade it out prematurely, thinking "right, I think we've heard enough of that".

Dammit though, if this is true, I'll pay good money to hear a re-release with the missing solo.

QUOTE (Peart 2112 @ Aug 17 2010, 02:21 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Aug 17 2010, 02:03 PM)
I'm with you!  One of my favorite songs and it definitely needs MORE!!!!!!!!

Same here!

+1 One of my favorite songs by Rush. yes.gif I would pay lots of $$ to hear the end. But I' happy with it the way it is. wub.gif I would pay LOTS MORE $$$$ to hear it live. yes.gif