Using a phone in a theatre

workingcinderellaman

On using a phone in a movie theatre-  

42 members have voted

1. 1. On using a phone in a movie theatre-

• I turn it off and check messages after the movie.
    • I leave it in silent mode and leave before answering.
    • I only text but only if someone calls me.
    • I text routinely throughout the movie.
    • I text and call people in the movie.

I've mentioned this as a pet peeve of mine before, but it seems that this is becoming a bigger problem.

I think it's rude to text or use a phone during a movie. If you must use your phone, get up and leave before you use it. That's what the lobby is for.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 10 2010, 08:15 AM)
I've mentioned this as a pet peeve of mine before, but it seems that this is becoming a bigger problem.

I think it's rude to text or use a phone during a movie. If you must use your phone, get up and leave before you use it. That's what the lobby is for.

trink39.gif My phone stays in the car. No need for it.

Not just movies, seen it at the Rush Concert in ABQ and not to metion how RUDE it is to be on the phone when you are at a register in the store and you talk to the phone more then the clerk. PLEASE!!! Get a CLUE!! Don't Be RUDE!!

Honestly, sometimes I think we were better off in terms of common courtesy before the age of wireless.

Really? You can't put the damn thing away for two hours?

Signed,

She-Who-Frequently-Leaves-Her-Base-Model-Cell-Phone-At-Home-On-Purpose, a/k/a She-Who-Works-In-Wireless-Site-Development. (Ironic, I know).

I chose silent mode, but leave before answering it.

I have kids at home when I/We go out sometimes. If Sunny & I turn off our phones for two hours with the kids at home what do they do if they need us?

Sometimes it's just not possible to be completely disconnected for a few hours.

I silence it, or turn it off and put it in my pocket. I have never had to get up and leave in the middle of a movie for a call.

I agree with the register too. If I'm at the register and I get a call... depending on who it is, I will either not answer or answer and tell them I will call them right back.

What REALLY annoys me are the people in the "fast lane" on the freeway that slow down to a crawl if they get on the phone. Handsfree or not, they are more into their conversation than driving.

I hate people who CAN'T POSSIBLY SHUT THE HELL UP during a movie!!!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear your ass talking, just SHUT UP!!!!

What the hell is so hard about that?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/idiot.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

I keep it on and set to vibrate. I like to know when someone's trying to reach me, even if I can't respond right away. Maybe if it's a boring movie and i'm there with boring people i'd sneak a text or two laugh.gif but that situation hasnt happened yet confused13.gif

EDIT:

if people are gonna send all the texts they were going to send during the movie while they're driving home, however, I'd much rather just have them text in the theater.....

Edited by fledgehog

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 10 2010, 02:46 PM)

I have kids at home when I/We go out sometimes. If Sunny & I turn off our phones for two hours with the kids at home what do they do if they need us?

Its pretty much the same for me in addition to having a father who is elderly and very unwell. However, i wouldn't dream of using my phone just for the sake of it.

Its a smiliar situation at work. There's one woman who, during her tea and lunch breaks, seems to have her mobile surgically grafted to her ear - and she's in her 50s not a teenager.

Wonderfully convenient as mobile phones are, I sometimes think we're better off without them

I set it to vibrate and yes, I will take a call under one circumstance, in a theater or concert or whatever. I have kids. If they're home with the babysitter and the babysitter calls, you bet your ass I need to get that call. Turning the phone off or leaving it in the car is not an option.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 10 2010, 10:15 AM)

I could not agree more!!!!

The last movie I went to with my wife, I had the light of the phone from the person next to me shining in my face the whole movie!

It was pissing me off.

People can go a couple hours without there devises ruling there lives?

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 10 2010, 10:46 AM)

Obviously understandable. Everyone should always be available for their kids just in case.

The jackass texting during the entire movie however needs a punch in the face. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 10 2010, 10:35 AM)
Signed,
She-Who-Frequently-Leaves-Her-Base-Model-Cell-Phone-At-Home-On-Purpose, a/k/a She-Who-Works-In-Wireless-Site-Development. (Ironic, I know).

Hmmmmm.....I still prefer "Hindu Goddess of Death" tongue.gif

Cell phones have not even been around that long, I don't know how people can say they NEED them at all. Everything was fine before we had them. That's the way I look at it. Sure they make many things a hell of a lot more convenient, but I like to avoid mine sometimes, so that I don't one day lose my head if my phone is lost. I need to know I can still handle a situation without it.

I use my phone for emergencies and traveling. That's it.

Don't know how to text at all.

QUOTE (librarian @ Aug 10 2010, 02:31 PM)

it's...incredibly straightforward...press "new message", type the message, then press "send". i can't figure out for the life of me why so many people "dont know how" to do this wacko.gif

I use my phone for emergencies and traveling. That's it.

You aren't missing anything. I watch my husband having text conversations with people - it isn't particularly late and neither party is somewhere where talking would be a problem.

I got so frustrated watching him the other day. I finally just said, "Jeebus! Just call Brian already! You could have planned out the entire U.S Open brackets in the time it's taking you two to figure out scheduling one measly tennis game via text!" He admitted I was right and called the guy.

QUOTE (tick @ Aug 10 2010, 10:59 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 10 2010, 10:15 AM)

I could not agree more!!!!

The last movie I went to with my wife, I had the light of the phone from the person next to me shining in my face the whole movie!

It was pissing me off.

People can go a couple hours without there devises ruling there lives?

This has happened to me in the last three movies I have been to. It seems to me that the trend is getting worse. I went to see "the Other Guys" last night (Don't bother. smile.gif) and there was an older lady in front of me texting through the whole movie. She was trying to hide it the best that she could, but in a stadium style theatre, if she could see her glowing screen then I could as well. So it didn't matter if she hid it.

I have kids and I understand why people put their phones on silent for emergencies. But if it rings you don't have to answer it. You can stick it in your front pocket and let it vibrate. wink.gif Then, after a while, get up, walk to the lobby and call the person, baby sitter, child back.

Some think that texting in a movie is alright because it's not noisy. To me it's every bit as annoying because of the glowing light that can't be hid no matter how hard you try.

I would love it if the snack bar sold pea shooters for shooting texters. laugh.gif

QUOTE (fledgehog @ Aug 10 2010, 01:35 PM)

it's...incredibly straightforward...press "new message", type the message, then press "send". i can't figure out for the life of me why so many people "dont know how" to do this wacko.gif

Okay, how about "don't WANT" to do this?

It's practically a "young person's thing." They love it. They do it all the time, and often for no other reason than to do it. Yes, yes, I know some older people do it as well, but looking around it looks like a huge teeny-bopper trend. You've got the phone in your hand; how about CALLING the person? Oh yeah...because your teacher will hear you! laugh.gif

omg i m watching new twlght movy, i m swichin 2 team jakob!!! lol

eyesre4.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz