newbies...spreading the love

tel

Yeah, we always get a spike in new membership when a new tour or album happens, but this time we've seen an explosion. In the past month since the tour started, we've had 430 new members join the board. 430 people in 30 days. Not normal. wink.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Jul 30 2010, 01:36 PM)
Yeah, we always get a spike in new membership when a new tour or album happens, but this time we've seen an explosion. In the past month since the tour started, we've had 430 new members join the board. 430 people in 30 days. Not normal. wink.gif

Some of it is the timing of the tour. The young people are out of classes for the summer . . . (As I am!)

But I've noticed, probably with a combination of the press lately about the STAR, the tour, the new songs hitting airplay . . . I've never had so many people suddenly ask me for advice and help in learning more about RUSH.

Our Grandson's friends are coming over to "hang" and watch our DVD's and The Lighted Stage. They are wearing RUSH shirts! They are going to Boston for the show. Cool!

This is a bit of a BULGE!!!!!

I'm enjoying the attention - - but at the same time, I am a bit leary of the attention. I would hate for RUSH to become the "pop-sensation of the year".

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jul 30 2010, 01:39 PM)
In the past month since the tour started, we've had 430 new members join the board. 430 people in 30 days. Not normal.  wink.gif

ohmy.gif

Oh, some of those were the "alternate" accounts I created so I could answer my own post anonymously....err, nevermind.

I have to admit me being a newbie to rush forum is also a newbie to computer stuff in general i don't even have a facebook or anything like that

but i've always been a rush fan and your right the tour and new songs was the trigger that caused me to look for other Rush fans

smile.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 30 2010, 01:49 PM)
Yeah, we always get a spike in new membership when a new tour or album happens, but this time we've seen an explosion. In the past month since the tour started, we've had 430 new members join the board. 430 people in 30 days. Not normal.  wink.gif

Some of it is the timing of the tour. The young people are out of classes for the summer . . . (As I am!)

But I've noticed, probably with a combination of the press lately about the STAR, the tour, the new songs hitting airplay . . . I've never had so many people suddenly ask me for advice and help in learning more about RUSH.

Our Grandson's friends are coming over to "hang" and watch our DVD's and The Lighted Stage. They are wearing RUSH shirts! They are going to Boston for the show. Cool!

This is a bit of a BULGE!!!!!

I'm enjoying the attention - - but at the same time, I am a bit leary of the attention. I would hate for RUSH to become the "pop-sensation of the year".

Hare biggrin.gif

goodpost.gif

"I'm enjoying the attention - - but at the same time, I am a bit leary of the attention. I would hate for RUSH to become the "pop-sensation of the year"."

Thats what is happening right now, just as in 1980 when Moving Pictures hit the airwaves. Untold "new" fans were every where.

But, a year later the fan base fell somewhere back to normal with a few new die hards added to the ranks

-Welcome newbee's enjoy the show, the DVD and the new album...but stay for the ride...its been great since 1978 for me and it just keeps getting better 2.gif

I'm new to the board but not new to Rush. I've been into them since my freshmen year of high school back in 1992. I've been part of a few Rush discussion forums in the past. I was on The National Midnight Star newsgroup or whatever it was until they stopped doing it. I was also on the Counterparts message board for a little bit when the last album came out. But the people on that board just really bothered me a lot and I didn't last too long on that.

So a few weeks back I decided to give the Rush discussion forums another chance and joined here. So far everything and everyone seems cool. There's a few people who seem a bit wacky but it's nowhere near as bad as what was on the CP message board. There was just way too much bitching over there for my liking. So far it seems the complaining is kept to a minimum around here.

I'm new to the forum, but my passion for Rush goes back to 1995. I've actually purchased Presto when it came out and absolutely HATED it. Some friends thought I should listen to their older stuff, so I went to the record shop and bouth the oldest thing they had available at the time - Caress of Steel...I liked Bastille Day and the B side, but didn't think they deserved the hype. I was too young by then, and picked two very difficult albums to start. It was only in '95 when a copy of A Show of Hands ended at my place that I started to enjoy them...bought every album since then, and learned to love Presto, Caress of Steel and anything by them.

I am also new to the board, semi new to Rush (discovered them in 2003, hearing Tom Sawyer at a hockey game, and later TSOR on the radio). I've recently started joining forums for my main interests (hockey cards, Leafs, Flames, dogs, and of course this one:)).

Funny thing, after this tour (he took me + a friend who also loves RUSH), I now have my father hooked on RUSH...I am 17.

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 30 2010, 02:23 PM)
There's a few people who seem a bit wacky

Must be tick and goobs....

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 30 2010, 01:23 PM)
I've been part of a few Rush discussion forums in the past. I was on The National Midnight Star newsgroup or whatever it was until they stopped doing it.

Oh MY GOD!!!

I was in the NMS too, how could I forget???

So why did they stop doing that in the first place? I remember the discussions about the Test for Echo Tour and the horrible blue and poor interface...good times eh?

I'm new to the forum, but I am definitely a hard core fan. I think we will start seeing a new breed of Rush fans that like Rush just because now it seems popular. Like a middle school kid wearing a 'Doors' T-shirt because he thinks it's cool, but has never listened to the music.

QUOTE (RushNut @ Jul 30 2010, 12:10 PM)

Hey now!

http://smokershowtoquitbook.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Wacky.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 30 2010, 11:23 AM)
I was also on the Counterparts message board for a little bit when the last album came out. But the people on that board just really bothered me a lot and I didn't last too long on that.

z7shysterical.gif

Sorry, but that's just really funny. biggrin.gif

Let's just say that your experience there isn't completely unique. wink.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 30 2010, 04:13 PM)
QUOTE (RushNut @ Jul 30 2010, 12:10 PM)

Hey now!

http://smokershowtoquitbook.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Wacky.gif

embrace it goobs! you have a whole new bunch of cult vict...um, i mean, fans! Fans. yeah, that's it

I only discovered Rush a few months ago and now they're my favourite band. That's pretty damn impressive! Pink Floyd (another favourite) didn't grab my attention this quickly.

I think it's cool, all the new 2.gif fans! And old fans new to TRF! bekloppt.gif

K

QUOTE (tel @ Jul 30 2010, 11:57 AM)
heck of a lot of new members lately,dontcha think?
still its all good,spread the love thats what i say wink.gif

Like the saying goes, "What is old, is new again" (or the like). Been a fan since roughly the Signals era, got out of 'em for a while, then got back in. All caught up now...it's all good. wink.gif

QUOTE (RodrigoAltaf @ Jul 30 2010, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Jul 30 2010, 01:23 PM)
I've been part of a few Rush discussion forums in the past. I was on The National Midnight Star newsgroup or whatever it was until they stopped doing it.

Oh MY GOD!!!

I was in the NMS too, how could I forget???

So why did they stop doing that in the first place? I remember the discussions about the Test for Echo Tour and the horrible blue and poor interface...good times eh?

I can't recall the exact reason as to why they stopped. I know they stopped when Rush when on hiatus after Neil's daughter and wife had died in such a short span of time. A lot of people thought that was it for the band so that's probably one of the main reasons it stopped.

Also, it was given to you by e-mail and that's also how you posted is by sending them and e-mail. When you look at the message boards we've got now that formats time had come around then.

Still it was to be a part of it. But since I was in my teens at the time I didn't have the maturity yet on how to deal and reply to people properly without sounding like an angst ridden jackass. So I didn't enjoy as much as I should've laugh.gif

QUOTE (Scampfarmer @ Jul 30 2010, 03:26 PM)
I only discovered Rush a few months ago and now they're my favourite band. That's pretty damn impressive! Pink Floyd (another favourite) didn't grab my attention this quickly.

Same here, I discovered them last summer after hearing Anthem from All The World's A Stage.

Archived