Who's the most talented

karkarius

Which member of Rush do you think is the most talented? Yea, I know, it's a tough question. I'd say Geddy myself, but only because of his ability to play and sing at the same time while playing multiple instruments.

It's still a tough call I think.

2.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 23 2010, 12:22 PM)
I'll make the inevitable John Rutsey name drop biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Of course, I think we all would say they have roughly equal amounts of talent and thats why they work so well together as group.

If you look at it from the angle of whose solo work is better its still unclear to me but again I guess I give Ged the edge. I do like the aggressive nature of Victor and Alex IMO shows that he can rip on a bass as well though.

I don't think this question has an answer. They are all awesome on their respective instruments, but it is them together that makes the incredible music. You can't even judge them on technical proficiency (because being technically proficient isn't what makes Rush awesome- just a part of the mix), but if you could, how do you compare an excellent drummer to an excellent bass player to an excellent guitarist?

Also, playing multiple instruments while singing isn't overly impressive to me. Tons of people do it- and those same tons of people don't make music I enjoy near as much as the music of Rush. Rush is more than an awesome drummer, bass player (who sings and plays keys), and guitarist. It is three excellent musicians who make a great team to bring us the best rock music there is.

QUOTE (SlyJeff @ Jul 23 2010, 05:55 PM)
I don't think this question has an answer. They are all awesome on their respective instruments, but it is them together that makes the incredible music. You can't even judge them on technical proficiency (because being technically proficient isn't what makes Rush awesome- just a part of the mix), but if you could, how do you compare an excellent drummer to an excellent bass player to an excellent guitarist?

Also, playing multiple instruments while singing isn't overly impressive to me. Tons of people do it- and those same tons of people don't make music I enjoy near as much as the music of Rush. Rush is more than an awesome drummer, bass player (who sings and plays keys), and guitarist. It is three excellent musicians who make a great team to bring us the best rock music there is.

goodpost.gif

As all three said in the doc, basically, if it's not the three of them, (Alex, Neil & Geddy, I know, DUH) it's not 2.gif

If we're talking as musicians, Geddy.

If we're talking just general "talents", I'd say Neil. He can play music at a high level and writes both poetry (lyrics) and non fiction novels. Seems pretty talented to me.

Of course, if we're doing that, then Alex is an Airplane pilot, right?

So now I just don't have an answer again. lol

Easily Neil because he is a drummer who also writes great lyrics. It's very rare. There are many great bassists, many far better than Geddy, many great vocalists, many of which are great at writing vocal melodies as well.

But to see a drummer that writes great lyrics is far more rare than anything that Geddy does.

Archived