Who's the most talented

karkarius

QUOTE (tontonfranck @ Jul 24 2010, 03:54 PM)
Ask a mother whose child she loves the most... it's just impossible!

so true. Ok! I'll pick Geddy, because he takes on singing, the bass and keyboards altogether in concert. I have a hunch he'd be the easiest to talk to if I met him backstage too.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they are all very close in terms of talent. Alex is very underrated but that's because he compliments the song instead of being an egotistical soloing maniac. If I had to say pure raw talent it would be Neil. I enjoy them all equally but that guy does stuff that just defies all reasonable logic. And his lyrics are unmatched. Frank Zappa is the only other artist who has written lyrics as complex as Neil.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 24 2010, 11:50 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 24 2010, 01:59 AM)
QUOTE (briremo @ Jul 23 2010, 08:38 PM)
Alex is my fav because I think he's usually underated, and largely over-shadowed. I was in a Sam Ash the other day and R30 was playing on the house TV's. Young hippie dude selling guitars nods up to the TV and says "most underated guitar player of all time" I couldn't agree more.

Neil is the most talented. Revolutionary. No one was doing the stuff he did at the time he did. Going back through the catalog, you have to realize the songs are not the same without his incredible drum arrangements. Truly. Truly visionary. He was blessed by God with unnatural talent to write and play tongue.gif

Alex is beyond underrated. Neil will always be the best drummer in the world to me.

Saying that though it has to be Geddy.

Even his lyrics in "Chemistry" are very good. trink39.gif

I really think Geddy could have done just fine as a lyricist, had he wanted the job. Neil's got a real knack for it, though, and his extensive reading gives him a lot to draw from.

I think you're right, had he done it more he would have improved over time, he just doesnt have nearly enough experience doing it.

When you listen to his solo album, the lyrics arent very thought provoking at all. They arent terrible, but they are pretty empty, just good enough to get the job done, but not anywhere near what Neil writes.

This is why Ill always feel that Neil is the most important part of this band. There are many great bassists, many better than Geddy in the world, many great singers and guitarists, but for some reason there are far fewer great lyricists out there.

You take the quality of lyrics from MFH, and put them on every rush album, and I dont think they would be nearly as great of a band as they are, for me anyway. I wouldnt care that much about them without Neil's lyrics. I listen to a lot of bands that are as good musically as Rush, but not a single one with lyrics as good as theirs.

QUOTE (New World Kid @ Jul 23 2010, 07:50 PM)
If we're talking as musicians, Geddy.

If we're talking just general "talents", I'd say Neil. He can play music at a high level and writes both poetry (lyrics) and non fiction novels. Seems pretty talented to me.

Of course, if we're doing that, then Alex is an Airplane pilot, right?

So now I just don't have an answer again. lol

Non-fiction novels? That DOES take talent! wink.gif

I'd say Geddy, because I am not objective.

Archived