Horrible Review of the Time Machine Tour

By-Thor

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/02/20585...ck-in-time.html

This is one of the worst reviews I have ever read of a live show, the author clearly just didn't like Rush! His biggest gripe with the show was that Rush sounded too authentic to the albums! He was mad that they played the songs exactly like you would hear them on the album! He's mad that their songs were basically perfectly executed. Horrible horrible review!

QUOTE (By-Thor @ Jul 3 2010, 03:12 AM)
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/02/20585...ck-in-time.html

This is one of the worst reviews I have ever read of a live show, the author clearly just didn't like Rush! His biggest gripe with the show was that Rush sounded too authentic to the albums! He was mad that they played the songs exactly like you would hear them on the album! He's mad that their songs were basically perfectly executed. Horrible horrible review!

The reviewer; Mike Judge, has been slamming RUSH shows since the 70's.

He used to write for the Washington Post if my recollection is correct.

He might not like them but he has been going to RUSH shows for years.

After reading the article he obviously knows the RUSH canon.

For some reason though; with his extensive RUSH concert experience, he still seems to think RUSH is some sort of live jazz improv band.

They are a rock band that does not make improvisation a vital part of their live show.

The last improvisation I recall; that they put into their show, was on the Roll The Bones tour.

I recall an extended segue between two songs where they improvised each night. (I can't recall between which two songs it was though...)

The bottom line though: RUSH is not and has never been a jazz band.

You think by now MJ would understand that a RUSH show is not a place for over the top improvisation.

There are obviously little bits of improvisation here and there but overall RUSH has ALWAYS tried to recreate exactly what they do in the studio for the stage.

I do agree with his opinion related to The Camera Eye.

For me, "Newer" RUSH (anything after Signals) is not as enjoyable as the "Older" RUSH.

That is just my opinion and not meant to be negative.

Edited by entmoot

I have been waiting for Rush to get onto the jam band circuit. I would love to hear an extended solo section in Marathon a la Duane Allman. Maybe a Garcia-esque trippy into to TSOR? I would love to hear them do Tom Sawyer and have it morph into something classic...like maybe a Johnny Cash cover.

I think someone needs a punch in the face. atickhum.gif

laugh.gif

The reader comments more than make up for the review.

What a tool. It's amusing to me that he harps on the songs being exact duplications of the CDs (as if that's a bad thing) and yet we're on here going "Hey, they trimmed 15 seconds out of The Camera Eye! What's with the rearrangement of this song? Why the different intro to that song?"

"3-minute pop song"?? Huh? Was he even AT a Rush show?

Guess he isn't a fan. I think they hit the songs as close as possible,never exactly the same but very close. sounds ok to me 2.gif

"Those who can't do, teach. those who can't teach, teach gym. those who couldn't do anything at all, were all at my school.."

-Woody Allen

..and those who couldn't get a job at that school, review RUSH concerts for a living.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ Jul 3 2010, 07:07 AM)
What a tool. It's amusing to me that he harps on the songs being exact duplications of the CDs (as if that's a bad thing) and yet we're on here going "Hey, they trimmed 15 seconds out of The Camera Eye! What's with the rearrangement of this song? Why the different intro to that song?"

This. yes.gif

Mike Judge = TOOL

Mike Portnoy = COOL

Even though Mike is fun to tease on here I will say it's cool that he is still like a little kid air drumming in the audience.

Good for him.

Once a drummer, always a drummer.

I'm in the same boat, mine's just a dingy. wink.gif

Putz with a capitol "P"

Riddle me this.

What's the point of having a critic post a concert review AFTER the fact? Especially one who hates the band to start with? (I'm not including the reviews we're getting here - it's a community with a common interest, therefore posters' reviews are certainly expected).

I mean, it's not like a movie review that people will look at when they are trying to decide if they want to spend the money. Rock concerts are generally one-offs, perhaps a 2-night stand on rare occasions - not like they're staying in town for a two-month run.

Pointless waste and just a way to fill column inches.

Edited by Mara

What a jackass. This guy obviously doesn't know good music from his asshole.

In this topic we struggle with the concept of opinions.

Someone didnt like Rush, someone isnt a fan of when bands dont try anything new with their songs, etc...

Let's all spend our holiday weekend bitching about it.

Green Day are a band that plays a generally structured setlist, yet loves to throw in a cover or add a song in the middle of a show. I know that they're different from Rush... but wouldn't it be cool to see Geddy yell at Al and Neil, "Hey, let's break into 'The Analog Kid' next!" or whatever song you'd like to hear, and have them do it?

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 3 2010, 05:13 PM)

Someone didnt like Rush, someone isnt a fan of when bands dont try anything new with their songs, etc...

Not my point, anyway. It's fine that he hates their music. Doesn't hurt my feelings, and I doubt it would hurt the band's.

I'm just stumped as to why someone who ALREADY has made it patently clear he dislikes a band would go to review a show. Surely he didn't really expect anyone to take his review seriously.

Nah - the most plausible explanation is that he enjoys the ensuing outrage from Rush fans. In effect, he's a paid professional troll.

I take the critical reviews from people on the Rush community forums far more to heart. It means a lot more when a self-professed Rushmaniac posts a review pointing out a few holes in the performance. They're more qualified.

Edited by Mara

Not about the review but wile we're on the subject of the KC show...

did anyone catch what Geddy said after the show. "We hope to see you one more time" or something like that.

Doesn't sound too good to me... came off as a sort of "get ready for our farewell tour" comment.

I dunno if this is the right thread for something like that, but it was specific to the KC show.

without really departing from the 3-minute pop song,

3 minute "pop" songs..

CTTH

In the Mood

Fly By Night

New World Man

Half the World

Circumstances

Face Up

..Okay, fair enough Mike Judge

even when they double or triple that length.

Nevermind, this guy doesn't have a clue.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 3 2010, 04:13 PM)

Won't be / wasn't me! I never read reviews because all reviewers seem to by tiny dicked, couldn't get a woman with duct tape and a baseball bat, bitter little turds.

I'm actually surprised I even looked at the thread, let alone read through to the point where I posted.

Just remember all you critics and reviewers, no one ever erected a statue to a critic!

Edited by ProfGumby

QUOTE (Kenneth @ Jul 3 2010, 05:43 PM)
without really departing from the 3-minute pop song,

3 minute "pop" songs..

Circumstances

Circumstances is the best pop song I've ever heard. Maybe Bieber should cover it!

Also why is the guy who made Beavis & Butthead and King of the Hill doing covert reviews? Of COURSE it's gonna' suck!

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 7 2010, 06:30 AM)
Mike Judge......isn't that the guy who created Beavis & Butthead? confused13.gif

Oh god dammit you beat me to it!