Rush Bashing????

snowdogged

I don't really post here too often anymore but I see a lot of people bashing Rush for their choice of set list, playing ability, song writing ability and just about anything else that they can say negatively about Rush and then they still have the nerve to call themselves Rush fans! You people may like some of their albums but you have no idea what Rush is all about and have no right to call yourself fans! I'm sure if you were to look at video footage from the first show of any tour (If only there was video footage for all of them.), you will find mistakes being made in pretty much every one of them and if you were to look at the last shows of the tour, you would find that their chops are much better! Please, correct me if I am wrong but the whole purpose of this tour is to get there chops up to their maximum potential. Sure, there are things that I have wanted to see Rush do that they have never done and do feel some disappointment sometimes, but ultimately, they do what they want to do in the end, and that is one of the reasons that I respect them so much and probably a big part of the reason that they are still around today, still writing new music that is far better than most of the music that is out there today. I know that most of the people in the forum pretty much feel somewhat the way I do but it seems like there are too many people bashing them in here. Go join a Britney Spears forum because her singing is always dead on in concert, oh, and she also dances better than Rush! Edited by snowdogged

Dumbest post of the year. Being a fan doesnt mean you're not allowed to be critical if you want. This is a message board, we disect things here. Cant handle that? Then turn your computer off.

Bye.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 10:26 AM)
Dumbest post of the year. Being a fan doesnt mean you're not allowed to be critical if you want. This is a message board, we disect things here. Cant handle that? Then turn your computer off.

Bye.

pretty much....

I think there's a difference between being legitimately 'critical', and 'bashing'.

I don't see a lot of bashing here, to be honest. There are a handful of folks who repeat the same critical comments over and over and over again, sure, but that's not bashing - it's just annoying. smile.gif

Freedom of speech and all that jazz, snowdogged! smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 2 2010, 10:52 AM)
I see a lot of people bashing Rush for their choice of set list, playing ability, song writing ability and just about anything else that they can say negatively about Rush and then they still have the nerve to call themselves Rush fans! You people may like some of their albums but you have no idea what Rush is all about and have no right to call yourself fans! Go join a Britney Spears forum because her singing is always dead on in concert, oh, and she also dances better than Rush!

It is possible that in the People's Republic of Montreal free speech is not appreciated. But in most of the rest of the world, it generally is.

You've had your say.....congrats.

If you're trying to stop us from saying what we feel and believe, I simply give you one of these: fing.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 2 2010, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 2 2010, 10:52 AM)
I see a lot of people bashing Rush for their choice of set list, playing ability, song writing ability and just about anything else that they can say negatively about Rush and then they still have the nerve to call themselves Rush fans!  You people may like some of their albums but you have no idea what Rush is all about and have no right to call yourself fans!  Go join a Britney Spears forum because her singing is always dead on in concert, oh, and she also dances better than Rush!

It is possible that in the People's Republic of Montreal free speech is not appreciated. But in most of the rest of the world, it generally is.

You've had your say.....congrats.

If you're trying to stop us from saying what we feel and believe, I simply give you one of these: fing.gif

Posts like this is why this particular forum stands out as the best. We should feel free to be critical as well as showing praise when deserved. Rush are not perfect and if anything I am sure want to hear from people that they aren't perfect so they can improve on multiple things they might be sucking at i.e. drum solos, set lists, mixing etc wink.gif

QUOTE (snowdogged @ Jul 2 2010, 09:52 AM)
Go join a Britney Spears forum because her singing is always dead on in concert, oh, and she also dances better than Rush!

Not true. Check out this erm, video, of Geddy's slick dance moves:

GeddyFinal.gif

In the OP's defense - there are 3 or 4 people who seem to do nothing BUT complain. It's a minority, though.

This place would be so frickin' boring if it was all lollipops and rainbows, however. Think about it. wink.gif

I was not speaking about people just criticizing. I was speaking about the people who put down almost every aspect of what Rush is doing now, and for the person who put down everyone from Montreal, you caliing me an idiot is definitely a compliment!

QUOTE (Mara @ Jul 2 2010, 10:01 AM)
In the OP's defense - there are 3 or 4 people who seem to do nothing BUT complain. It's a minority, though.

This place would be so frickin' boring if it was all lollipops and rainbows, however. Think about it. wink.gif

Perhaps some of us are a bit overly defensive because of those 3 or 4 people's relentless negativity.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:28 PM)
Perhaps some of us are a bit overly defensive because of those 3 or 4 people's relentless negativity.

goodpost.gif

Excellent point! I've fallen into that trap myself lately. But, honestly, I am just sick to death of the constant negativity around here. facepalm.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jul 2 2010, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jul 2 2010, 12:28 PM)

goodpost.gif

Excellent point! I've fallen into that trap myself lately. But, honestly, I am just sick to death of the constant negativity around here. facepalm.gif

I agree, it's just 3 or 4 members who with their almost constant lean toward the negative comments can temporarily kill the positive buzz and excitement that keeps building as the tour progresses.

The 'bashers' views are sometimes reasonable and worthy of debate but are usually ill timed as they are out of the flow of the context of the thread.

While all views should be welcome in a forum format I think there should be a sub forum titled:

'Look at Me, I am a RUSH basher. I hate Neil and Geddy can't sing. Enter my thread and lets discuss everything we dislike about our favorite band RUSH'

SPOILER ALERT: This thread might SPOIL your overall enjoyment of RUSH.

If we could just consolidate the RUSH Bashing then , what the hell, let them have their fun. Misery loves company. Maybe the 3 or 4 members can go see a show together a then relive the horror.

Oops, I fell into the defensive trap....

I love everything RUSH.

QUOTE (DetachedandSubdivided @ Jul 2 2010, 12:34 PM)
I think there's a difference between being legitimately 'critical', and 'bashing'.

Exactly.

Personally I think HYF is too synth heavy and would benefit from a heavier guitar tone (constructive criticism).

Neil's a dick for not coming to the Hollywood WOF Star Unveiling (bashing).

BTW, I don't think Neil's a dick for not showing up and for those that do, get over it.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 2 2010, 07:32 PM)

Exactly.

Personally I think HYF is too synth heavy and would benefit from a heavier guitar tone (constructive criticism).

goodpost.gif

Post of the Day

Man, I guess I really don't like this band after all...just kidding. I can see both sides. I look at the bashing as in good humor, but some of the posts come off as being negative. I sat down with a long time friend who I have been attending concerts with for the last 20 years and made up a setlist that we both would like to see. After reading the final list we burst out laughing because it was so disjointed and haphazard. The only others who would probably approve are the 3 or 4 constant negatives on the board.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 2 2010, 09:35 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Jul 2 2010, 07:32 PM)

Exactly.

goodpost.gif

Post of the Day

Yep.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jul 2 2010, 11:26 AM)

Bye.

disect is one thing. the way many folks talk about rush around here is infantile, it encourages the thought that they really know very little about music, and have some serious issues that they feel they need to displace on 2.gif

Bye.

Second dumbest post of the year. Being a critic doesn't mean being an a$$hole. Learn some manners.

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jul 3 2010, 08:50 AM)

Bye.

Second dumbest post of the year. Being a critic doesn't mean being an a$$hole. Learn some manners.

Third dumbest post of the year, because... um... because. Yeah. Here's a dancing banana.

common001.gif

I'm pretty new on this forum but I agree that I have read some pretty scathing comments on here regarding what is one of the best bands in the history of music. People are most definitely entitled to their opinions but they've never written anything that I disliked all that much. Certainly nothing they've written or played would make me say some of the things I've read. But that's just my opinion.

QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jul 3 2010, 07:50 AM)

Bye.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Jul 3 2010, 09:02 AM)
QUOTE (Ron2112 @ Jul 3 2010, 08:50 AM)

Bye.

Third dumbest post of the year, because... um... because. Yeah. Here's a dancing banana.

common001.gif

rofl3.gif