Has listening to Rush ever made you cry?

jonfiredaman02

I caught the documentary on the late showing on VH1 tonight (I had to work all the other times, even the 6 days they showed it in the theater here)m and then I just put on counterparts and sat in the dark and just listened. And it sort of just hit me. Everything. This band. I love them so much. Listening to them is GUARANTEED to make me happy. They;re never unavailable, never away. It's just so comforting, they;re like sort of a best friend, a constant companion. Especially when I haven't listened to Rush in a while, when I've gotten caught up in some other band or engrossed in some other part of life, I can always come back and just slide right in.

I don't know, it was just sort of a crazy experience.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (jonfiredaman02 @ Jun 28 2010, 03:43 AM)
I caught the documentary on the late showing on VH1 tonight (I had to work all the other times, even the 6 days they showed it in the theater here)m and then I just put on counterparts and sat in the dark and just listened. And it sort of just hit me. Everything. This band. I love them so much. Listening to them is GUARANTEED to make me happy. They;re never unavailable, never away. It's just so comforting, they;re like sort of a best friend, a constant companion. Especially when I haven't listened to Rush in a while, when I've gotten caught up in some other band or engrossed in some other part of life, I can always come back and just slide right in.

I don't know, it was just sort of a crazy experience.

Get a hold of yourself, sir. Come on, pull yourself together.

2 occasions for me. At the same time S@A was released I was going through a tough divorce and Far Cry didn't make me cry but it helped me a lot! It was like medicine and I did "get back on"

During that same period for some reason How it Is had an emotional affect on me couldnt get through the chorus without almost ballin smile.gif

Weird but that's how much this band has meant to my life.

I got misty-eyed after reading Ghost Rider and then listening to Vapor Trails with my headphones on late one night while lying in bed. The lyrics really hit me.

God Bless these guys. They are truly special musicians and special people. They have made a big impact on me....

Everytime someone plays anything from RTB or HYF

I must confess that, after my brother died in 1988, it was about three or four years before I could listen to Afterimage without breaking down.

Similarly, after my divorce, the last verse of Bravado would get me thinking about my children and cause me to tear up

I'll admit I got a lump in my throat after the opening few measures of Tom Sawyer during the Vapor Trails tour, only because it was so good to see them back after everything that had happened.

I was convinced Rush would be no more after 1998, yet there they were playing.....continuing on with the story.

As for crying......no...never, can't cry.......botched face lift.

Bravado and How It Is have had that effect on me, depending on my mood when I listen to them.

And when I heard the new songs the first day they were released, I felt like crying. It was an emotional moment and we'd had SUCH a buildup of expectations prior to that. Having those expectations SURPASSED, along with that feeling of "My God they are still here and THEY'VE STILL GOT IT!" really hit hard.

Yeah, but who cried when Old Yeller died?

during the vapor trails tour when i seen them live for the first time tears of joy

There's been numerous times throughout the past 3+ decades when the music of Rush has made me a least a bit misty eyed or even cry. The one instance I recall vividly is in January of '08...I had been in constant pain for months from Krohn's Disease, I was depressed, and my wife and I decided to separate. I was an absolute mess and for the first and only time in my life, I contemplated suicide. Knowing that "The Pass" & "Bravado" were back-to-back on RiR, I put them on and I bawled and kicked and screamed like I was a baby. One of the heaviest moments of catharsis I've ever experienced and I'm not kidding or over-exaggerating when I say this...Rush saved my life that day.

A number of Rush songs have that sort of emotional effect on me. Usually it's something like "Subdivisions", "Losing It", "Bravado" or "Ghost Of A Chance". Something really melodic, strong lyrically, and just... beautiful.

Back in 2007 the opening riff to Limelight at the ACC show brought tears of joy to my eyes because it was my first Rush concert.. even though I had seen them before at festivals. Also later in the evening Secret Touch hit a weird nerve and I started bawling. My friend was like... "Awww..." I was embarrassed. blush4.gif Other than those times, Rush music makes me happy... not cry.

Yeah, a handful of times....all within the past 8 years.

I teared up at the 2002 show during The Pass and Bravado.. man those songs always get to me, and having not heard them live for 10 years it was quite an emotional experience.

Ditto for Mission in 2007, as it had been nearly 20 years for that one. That song has always been powerful to me anyway.

Watching the docu at the theater, and then at home last weekend on Vh1, I welled up during the part where Neil's tragedies and rebirth are discussed..

A little sidebar.. not too long after Rush came back, my wife and I went through a ton of sh*t. My friend Tom (a massive Rush fan) succumbed to cancer about a month after that 2002 show we saw together... then our singer committed suicide... during this time my wife had countless miscarriages, including one at 5 months in utero (we'd named him cause it was so far along). I had to rock my own "little baby soul" for about 4 years after all that stuff went down, and the Vapor Trails became VERY important during that period.

Sh*t, I'm welling up thinking about it now. Thank God or Whomever we made it to the other side of that tunnel.

No wonder I feel like Rush shows are massive celebrations, not only of the band and all their music, Neil's comeback, but just of life in general.

QUOTE (Space Ghost @ Jun 28 2010, 02:59 PM)
There's been numerous times throughout the past 3+ decades when the music of Rush has made me a least a bit misty eyed or even cry. The one instance I recall vividly is in January of '08...I had been in constant pain for months from Krohn's Disease, I was depressed, and my wife and I decided to separate. I was an absolute mess and for the first and only time in my life, I contemplated suicide. Knowing that "The Pass" & "Bravado" were back-to-back on RiR, I put them on and I bawled and kicked and screamed like I was a baby. One of the heaviest moments of catharsis I've ever experienced and I'm not kidding or over-exaggerating when I say this...Rush saved my life that day.

Wow. That's a pretty strong story. Thanks for sharing, and glad you are still with us to rock out to yet more Rush!

Archived