Jazz is Weird

rushgoober

Jazz has taken a LONG time to grow on me. Perhaps it's not having grown up with it, but it's always seemed somewhat foreign to me - I could appreciate the talent more than the music.

Jazz, however, has been slowly growing on me for the last 15-20 years or so. For some reason I was first drawn to Sun Ra, one of the most out there of the out there avant-garde free jazz peoples, probably because a lot of psychedelic music fans like him. Generally I find that I like (if you can imagine coming from me) more avant-garde, out there jazz, and "free jazz" especially. I can seriously appreciate traditional jazz, but if it's too traditional I get kind of bored - if it's "smooth jazz" or really jazz lite I lose interest completely.

I also really love jazz fusion that has a strong connection to rock music, whereas many other forms of jazz seem almost completely divorced from traditional rock.

I'm very far from a jazz expert, but here are some of my favorite artists of whom I'm familiar with thus far:

Sun Ra

John Coltrane

Miles Davis

Ornette Coleman

Herbie Hancock

Mahavishnu Orchestra

Charles Mingus

I'll definitely be getting more jazz over time, but I have a lot to absorb already by the above artists, especially due to some recent awesome yard sale scores!

Anyway, anyone else like/love jazz and have any faves/recommendations, etc.? Discuss!

I like it but I don't want to type a whole load of shit about it and get too involved and bogged down. I've typed enough about it already in this thread...

I give no recommendations.

Maybe I'll respond later if someone forces me to with some stupid comment...

Dave Brubeck Quartet is pretty good. "take five" is their biggest hit.

I like Chris Botti, a current jazz trumpeter.

I also like Wayne Shorter and Anat Cohen (clarinetist).

I personally like Monday Michiru. She's a singer with a band. She fuses different styles into her music. A very "New York" sound, imo.

Edited by circumstantial tree

Listen to Buddy Rich. I got into Jazz because of him when i was learning to play Drums when i was younger . Weather Report is also worth checking out. Your list has you headed in the right direction

QUOTE (umoveme @ Jun 21 2010, 05:30 PM)
Jazz is for the performer.

bolt.gif

And people with Any muscial sense tongue.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 21 2010, 05:39 PM)
Jazz is also way loosely defined too. I've seen people claim to be doing jazz who clearly aren't.

...if you asked a hundred different people what jazz is, you'd get a hundred different answers, that is jazz...

I like what is called " jazz fusion" , mainly Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Weather Report, and i like what Jeff Beck was doing back in the 70's, the Wired album being one of my favorites.

Chik Corea solo is great, as is Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin.

Jazz is so tough to define, and though i appreciate the technique it takes to play it, i can only listen to it for a short time. It gets to be a bit much after a while.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jun 21 2010, 04:05 PM)
I like what is called " jazz fusion" , mainly Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, Weather Report, and i like what Jeff Beck was doing back in the 70's, the Wired album being one of my favorites.

Chik Corea solo is great, as is Al Dimeola and John Mclaughlin.

Jazz is so tough to define, and though i appreciate the technique it takes to play it, i can only listen to it for a short time. It gets to be a bit much after a while.

I've heard albums by pretty much all those groups and love what I've heard thus far.

Cool to see some jazz talk here. earlier this year, when I still was in school, my teacher would let me choose some jazz artists to play while we worked in class..

Recommendations....

Check out the Bad Plus, drum bass and piano trio... They covered Tom Sawyer which is why they've been mentioned here in TRF before, but I'm much more fond of their cover of flim and their song "Prehensile Dream"

Brad Mehldau is a great pianist too, I might even go so far as to compare his stuff to Vince Guaraldi..

I like this song, it gets pretty uplifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BVhwMfJTdA

And... The best for last, a great 7 minute hit medley by Grover Washington jr:

love the breakdown @ 3:10 and the sax/guitar duet @ 4:18

I do not regularly listen to jazz but play it in one of the bands I'm in. It's fun to play but that is about it for me.

I don't understand it. Most of it has an unusual rhythm.

I used to listen to Jesse Cook. He is a Canadian classical/flamenco guitarist. For some reason his song Cafe Mocha went to the top of the "Smooth Jazz" charts in America (whatever that is, I don't know). I didn't think his music was particularly "smooth" or "jazz"-oriented. Neither did he. LOL

smile.gif

IMO the ultimate marriage of rock and jazz is Steely Dan.

steely dan mentions Charlie Parker in several of their songs which lead me to checking him out. killer, crazy sax. the bird flies high...

jazz players i have seen:

michael brecker

larry carlton

chick corea

al dimeola

pat metheny ( have you seen his new one man band project?? holy shit!)

QUOTE (tangy @ Jun 21 2010, 04:50 PM)
IMO the ultimate marriage of rock and jazz is Steely Dan.

steely dan mentions Charlie Parker in several of their songs which lead me to checking him out. killer, crazy sax. the bird flies high...

jazz players i have seen:

michael brecker
larry carlton
chick corea
al dimeola
pat metheny ( have you seen his new one man band project?? holy shit!)

YES!!!!!!!

Get some RETURN TO FOREVER!!!!! 1022.gif

Any contemporary jazz or funk, you just cannot go wrong.