Led Zeppelin

To me it seems as if the radio took alot out of Led Zeppelin. The stations in Chicago play their stuff multiple times every day, but the magic is in their albums. I see it more as a "you had to be there" moment to truly appreciate how innovative they were.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^ Agreed. As much as I love hearing "Stairway to Heaven" and "Good Times Bad Times" on the radio, listening to all of Houses of the Holy is so much better than that.

QUOTE (TheSpiritofCygnusSawyer @ Jun 21 2010, 08:03 PM)
To me it seems as if the radio took alot out of Led Zeppelin.

Radio is why i Never listen to the first 4 albums

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2010, 03:15 PM)

Yep. "Levee Breaks" from 4 never gets old, but most of the time I'll pop in Physical Graffitti or Houses Of The Holy, and "Achilles Last Stand" from Presence.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2010, 03:15 PM)

Conversely, the first 4 albums are why I never listen to the radio. laugh.gif

QUOTE (In A Tidewater Surge @ Jun 20 2010, 11:54 PM)
Can somebody explain why they had so much success and why people think they are so great?

They have dozens of songs in regular rotation in classic rock radio - it's because the songs are completely awesome. If you don't get it, you just don't get it.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 22 2010, 01:03 PM)
Can somebody explain why they had so much success and why people think they are so great?

They have dozens of songs in regular rotation in classic rock radio - it's because the songs are completely awesome. If you don't get it, you just don't get it.

Or because your ignorant or a troll or both cool.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Jun 22 2010, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 22 2010, 01:03 PM)

Or because your ignorant or a troll or both cool.gif laugh.gif

Coming from someone who hates The Beatles and everything related, that's kind of funny. tongue.gif Seriously, though, Tj said why he doesn't really get them, he's not trolling for doing so... just like you aren't trolling when you say you hate The Beatles.

Also, -10 Internets for using "your" instead of "you're".

Also inb4 ZOMG BUT YOU LIEK MCR AND FOB AND PANIC! AND BLINK AND GREEN DAY LOLOLOL CAMEL ARE BETTER wub.gif wub.gif

although alot of Zeppelin's music lives on and still holds up well today, I think you really had to be there when they were at their peak to really get them. My best friend is 5 days younger than me and he hates Zeppelin. He didnt have older brothers and sisters to turn him on to Zep like I did when I was 8 or 9 back in '75. Sometimes older siblings and friends with older siblings play a big part in your musical growth as a kid. Without them, most kids dont get into rock big time until their formidable years around 12 or 13 and by then the rock climate had changed alot.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jun 22 2010, 02:15 PM)

You made the mistake of failing to switch channels often enough MD. You need to learn to implement rationing into your listening practices. Don't greedily listen to stuff over and over and over with big wanting eyes and then months and years later turn around and blame the music for your compulsive way of experiencing music.

The music is still the same music, it's you that has changed. You ruined it for yourself by burning out your Zep threshold.

All you can do now is abstain and hope that one day your synapses will be revitalised by a long absence.

Am I getting through to you yet mate??

smash.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 21 2010, 09:53 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 21 2010, 08:52 AM)
While we're on the subject, I think my favorite Zeppelin album is III. I love practically every song, especially "That's the Way".

It seems to be a "soft" album among the others.

That's my favorite Zep tune.

Mine too!

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2010, 04:41 PM)

You made the mistake of failing to switch channels often enough MD. You need to learn to implement rationing into your listening practices. Don't greedily listen to stuff over and over and over with big wanting eyes and then months and years later turn around and blame the music for your compulsive way of experiencing music.

The music is still the same music, it's you that has changed. You ruined it for yourself by burning out your Zep threshold.

All you can do now is abstain and hope that one day your synapses will be revitalised by a long absence.

smash.gif

laugh.gif

Yeah MD, get with the program!! cool10.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (Bastille Dave @ Jun 22 2010, 03:07 PM)
although alot of Zeppelin's music lives on and still holds up well today, I think you really had to be there when they were at their peak to really get them. My best friend is 5 days younger than me and he hates Zeppelin. He didnt have older brothers and sisters to turn him on to Zep like I did when I was 8 or 9 back in '75. Sometimes older siblings and friends with older siblings play a big part in your musical growth as a kid. Without them, most kids dont get into rock big time until their formidable years around 12 or 13 and by then the rock climate had changed alot.

goodpost.gif

Thank goodness I was there! 1022.gif biggrin.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 22 2010, 08:41 PM)

smash.gif

moon.gif Suck it

laugh.gif

For their time, they were very, very original. They are one of the most influential rock bands of all time whether they tickle your fancy or not. There have been so many successful bands who were stimulated by zeppelin, including Rush. If you don't see any merit to their musicianship and/or composition skills then it's pretty hard to try to sit here and explain it. You just don't get it. For me, I don't' get Elvis Presley's fame. It depends on when you grew up, I suppose, whether you're going to comprehend an artist's greatness. And, of course, it's all subjective to an extent, so...

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 23 2010, 01:39 PM)
For their time, they were very, very original. They are one of the most influential rock bands of all time whether they tickle your fancy or not. There have been so many successful bands who were stimulated by zeppelin, including Rush. If you don't see any merit to their musicianship and/or composition skills then it's pretty hard to try to sit here and explain it. You just don't get it. For me, I don't' get Elvis Presley's fame. It depends on when you grew up, I suppose, whether you're going to comprehend an artist's greatness. And, of course, it's all subjective to an extent, so...

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 23 2010, 06:39 PM)
It depends on when you grew up, I suppose, whether you're going to comprehend an artist's greatness. And, of course, it's all subjective to an extent, so...

Not really. Great art perseveres, simply look at history. It becomes part of the bedrock of culture. It's not subjective that Bach's and Beethoven's music is still around. Someone may not like it, but that doesn't diminish its greatness. Zep and Elvis are there as far as 20th century popular music goes. They will be remembered and enjoyed for decades to come.

Hard to knock their talent & originality. They just kicked ass! And Physical Graffiti??...a masterpiece!

But it always amazed how great they were in the studio and how not so great they were live. (And yes, I saw them live twice back in the day) Sure, they had SOME great live performances but in my mind, they were really a studio band. Mind you, one of the best studio bands ever! bolt.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Jun 23 2010, 06:20 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 23 2010, 06:39 PM)
It depends on when you grew up, I suppose, whether you're going to comprehend an artist's greatness. And, of course, it's all subjective to an extent, so...

Not really. Great art perseveres, simply look at history. It becomes part of the bedrock of culture. It's not subjective that Bach's and Beethoven's music is still around. Someone may not like it, but that doesn't diminish its greatness. Zep and Elvis are there as far as 20th century popular music goes. They will be remembered and enjoyed for decades to come.

I accept the greatness of composers of the romantic, baroque and classical periods etc, but do you personally appreciate elvis' greatness??? I'm out of touch with what his appeal is. popcorn.gif

Eminem is considered "the voice of his generation" and has legions of fans worldwide. Do you appreciate his artform too, then? He grew up 10 miles from me, is not that much younger than myself, and I don't have a clue what makes him a pop culture superhero, either. I guess I was just trying to imagine how someone could "not get" led zep, so I tried to put myself in his shoes, that's all.

QUOTE (Weatherman2112 @ Jun 23 2010, 03:26 PM)
Hard to knock their talent & originality. They just kicked ass! And Physical Graffiti??...a masterpiece!

But it always amazed how great they were in the studio and how not so great they were live. (And yes, I saw them live twice back in the day) Sure, they had SOME great live performances but in my mind, they were really a studio band. Mind you, one of the best studio bands ever!  bolt.gif

Personally I think there a kick ass band live!! There concert videos are insane. 1022.gif

Archived