Why do some people get really drunk at concerts?

I've always wondered this, and I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.

My very first concert was, coincidentally, Rush during their S&A tour a few years ago, and there were two guys beside me that didn't show up until 5 minutes before show-time, and they were crazy drunk.

They were blurting out expletives, along with the infamous "RUSH! RUSH RUSH!" as they were making their way down our row to get to their seats BESIDE US! Some people followed along and chanted, but most sat there quietly with their hands in their laps.

As they were making their way down the row, when one of them got directly in front of me, he stopped, looked at ME and yelled "oh come on, now!!!! IT"S RUSH! Let me hear you!" so I reluctantly yelled it out in fear of an impending karate chop to the head if I didn't.

Then when the show was up and running, they were embarassing... leaning over to my sister and asking us to take pictures of them with her camera, and possibly take THEM home with her after the show!

They were being so rude and disrespectful that they weren't even paying attention to the show and eventually, they were removed by security just before intermission, and then I noticed they NEVER came back for the remaining duration of the show.

My question is.. what does a person get out of this? If you truly are a fan of a band (ANY band), why would you ruin it for yourself?

Edited by Hemispheres89

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that, and don't get it either. What are these people going to remember other than how f*cked up they were?

I prefer to enjoy my Rush with a clear head (or as clear as it ever gets, anyway).

They are alcoholics and can't control themselves or they aren't there for Rush.

My guess is that the "one too many" comes into play, and then its all over.

I myself am not loud and obnoxious so I dont understand the mechanisms at play there. Probably a lot of "hey look at meeeeee !!!"

Sometimes people genuinely think they are adding to the party, and having a good time... until its too late.

laugh.gif

Some people look at a concert as a means of escape from daily stresses and a place they can do just about anything.

Maybe it was actually a night away fromm wives/girlfriends so they decided to get crazy. The problem is that crazy often turns into obnoxious.

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Jun 14 2010, 05:21 PM)
My guess is that the "one too many" comes into play, and then its all over.

I myself am not loud and obnoxious so I dont understand the mechanisms at play there. Probably a lot of "hey look at meeeeee !!!"

Sometimes people genuinely think they are adding to the party, and having a good time... until its too late.

laugh.gif

You made an excellent point here. This reminds me vividly of another concert I went to, Metallica, where this was highly applicable.

Behind me was a much much MUCH larger girl who kept yelling out "METALLI-CA METALLI-CA!" the exact same way every time and it drove me nuts. She tapped me on the shoulder, asked me why I was wearing a Metallica shirt but not standing up and screaming for them. Umm first of all, they aren't even OUT yet, and the lights are still on.

This annoyed me even further.

Then, a guy in front of me, stood up, turned arund, and mocked her. I'm pretty surehim and I became best friends that night. rofl3.gif

Truthfully, I don't think she even knew a single Metallica song. She was their ith her boyfriend, who looked like he'd be a pretty big fan of theirs, but she saw it as an opportunity to expose herself in an environment where there'd a be a dominant male audience.

Ahh well, she went home and probably threw up, I went home and listened to even MORE Metallica! 1022.gif

Thoughtful post and I agree with you...but be prepared for some negative responses from those who've GOT to have their booze, weed, or whatever at the show.

My enjoyment of the last show I saw (New Orleans in '08) was curtailed a bit by the clowns blowing their dope smoke in my direction through most of the show. Worse yet, they weren't really fans...just posers there to see some live rock and smoke dope. Whatever.

I live 25 miles from a major university (which I attended), but quit going to football games years ago because I wanted to--imagine this--watch the football game, rather than fight with drunken idiots.

Edited by friendlyvoice

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Jun 14 2010, 05:23 PM)
unsure.gif

How long before this becomes a debate about "affected vs. sober" and its moral ramifications in life?

tongue.gif

Hopefully not. We've got waaay too much of that sort of thing going on on the board. Folks are always going to do stuff that other folks don't like...that's life.

I don't really mind the weed smokers as long as they keep it out of my airspace. I don't get it, but it doesn't bother me. Usually those guys are pretty chill and don't bother anyone. At least not until after the show when they're behind the wheel.

Well...uh...I have to admit to drinking a bit during a show, but never to the point of getting out of control or not remembering the concert.

I drank beer pretty much non stop for the S&A show, but I had a driver, still remember all the show and had a helluva great time. It's all about knowing your limit...of course until you can't remember your limit and you wake up in a Best Western outside Cincinnati with a BBW hooker, chapped lips, a sore rear end and a cramped left forearm. unsure.gif

But I digress.

http://www.insidesocal.com/tv/the-simpsons-homer-to-alcohol.jpg

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 14 2010, 05:54 PM)
I don't really mind the weed smokers as long as they keep it out of my airspace. I don't get it, but it doesn't bother me. Usually those guys are pretty chill and don't bother anyone. At least not until after the show when they're behind the wheel.

I don't mind the weed smokers either, largely for 2 main reasons.

1. Most people who smoke dope at a concert probably do the same ting when they sit back and listen to loud music at home, or while jamming with musical instruments. It calms them, and helps them think clearer, and evenn appreciate certain bands more. After all... isn't that what Pink Floyd was all about?

2. They're quiet! 9 times out of 10, these people act in a civil manner and can be extreemly quiet or just as enthusiastic as the typical sober concert-goer at the show. But it's nothing close to the scope of obnoxiousness.

Besides, I admit that I kinda LIKE the smell. After all, it's better than breathing in cigarette smoke.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2010, 06:08 PM)
Well...uh...I have to admit to drinking a bit during a show, but never to the point of getting out of control or not remembering the concert.

I drank beer pretty much non stop for the S&A show, but I had a driver, still remember all the show and had a helluva great time. It's all about knowing your limit...of course until you can't remember your limit and you wake up in a Best Western outside Cincinnati with a BBW hooker, chapped lips, a sore rear end and a cramped left forearm. unsure.gif

But I digress.

laugh.gif laugh.gif rofl3.gif

Hey, don't get me wrong.. alcoholic beverages are cool at a live performance. I stood up with a nice cold frothy beer in my hand at a few concerts and I remember every single detail. But if people don't show up until the last 30 seconds prior to the band going on stage, that usually means trouble.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 14 2010, 06:58 PM)
It calms them, and helps them think clearer, and evenn appreciate certain bands more.

... makes them swear that they taste blueberry and cherry flavor notes in Labatts Blue Dry...

unsure.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2010, 07:08 PM)

But I digress.

laugh.gif

yeah i'd take weed smoking over obnoxious drinking any day. those guys are so much more chill and often more interested in the concert and just want to, well, enhance it for themselves.

nothing annoys me more than drunk people distracting you, making you unable to enjoy the music and end up covering you in beer somewhere. why pay a premium to go to a show when you are going to get that smashed? i will never understand it.

It's not a RUSH thing, it's an ALCOHOLIC/ heavy drinker thing. Some people don't exercise good judgement when they drink. Unfortunately some of those people screw it up for others that don't want to be distracted. I took my "gf at the time" to a Rush concert and these "party kids" behind us kicked the back of her seat the whole damn show. It ruined it for her and there was little I could do about it. Some people are oblivious to how their behavior affects other people or they just don't give a rat's ass.

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Jun 14 2010, 08:03 PM)
QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 14 2010, 07:58 PM)
2. They're quiet!  9 times out of 10, these people act in a civil manner and can be extreemly quiet or just as enthusiastic as the typical sober concert-goer at the show. But it's nothing close to the scope of obnoxiousness.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2010, 09:12 PM)
It's not a RUSH thing, it's an ALCOHOLIC/ heavy drinker thing. Some people don't exercise good judgement when they drink. Unfortunately some of those people screw it up for others that don't want to be distracted. I took my "gf at the time" to a Rush concert and these "party kids" behind us kicked the back of her seat the whole damn show. It ruined it for her and there was little I could do about it. Some people are oblivious to how their behavior affects other people or they just don't give a rat's ass.

That's definitely annoying. Totally understandable.

And I agree with you about it not being a "concert" or Rush" thing. All it basically boils down to is everyday people exposing their "rowdy side" just like they would at a typical party, the only difference being that it's in such a large and open venue to which certain circumstances may not always be welcome by all who attend and particpate.

But here's the thing. With Rush being my first concert, upon my arrival I didn't know what to expect, or what to make of it. It was assumed in my mind that I'd just be sitting down and listening to music and so would everybody else. Boy, was I wrong laugh.gif

Kicking the back of your chair is ALWAYS a nerve-wracker. Not only is it distracting, but it also personally makes me feel nauseous when done in continuos succession. If you notice, most of the olde folks who go to concerts (especially Rush), the majority of them like sitting down and enjoying the show with a good food and drink in hand. This is actually the way concerts are supposed to be.. no standing up, no smoking pot, no disorderly conduct. But somewhere along the way, these rules were lost.

What I have also noticed is that people say whatever they wnat to say at concerts, under the influence or not. I've seen perfectly sober attendees tell security staff to eff off. It isn't pretty lol

I like a few trink38.gif before a show as much as anyone but, i am not paying $150 for a seat so i Don't remember it the next day.

it's really got nothing to do with "where" people are, it's the people.

what the original post described happens at just about ANY event that sells alcohol. any sporting event or concert- there's always one (or 1,000).

people think they are funny/cool...but they really are just annoying.

i get drunk and yell and scream a bit, but never at anyone elses expense. just in the flow of the show.

QUOTE (Hemispheres89 @ Jun 15 2010, 07:14 AM)
I've always wondered this, and I've seen it happen on numerous occasions.

My very first concert was, coincidentally, Rush during their S&A tour a few years ago, and there were two guys beside me that didn't show up until 5 minutes before show-time, and they were crazy drunk.
They were blurting out expletives, along with the infamous "RUSH! RUSH RUSH!" as they were making their way down our row to get to their seats BESIDE US! Some people followed along and chanted, but most sat there quietly with their hands in their laps.

As they were making their way down the row, when one of them got directly in front of me, he stopped, looked at ME and yelled "oh come on, now!!!! IT"S RUSH! Let me hear you!" so I reluctantly yelled it out in fear of an impending karate chop to the head if I didn't.

Then when the show was up and running, they were embarassing... leaning over to my sister and asking us to take pictures of them with her camera, and possibly take THEM home with her after the show!
They were being so rude and disrespectful that they weren't even paying attention to the show and eventually, they were removed by security just before intermission, and then I noticed they NEVER came back for the remaining duration of the show.

My question is.. what does a person get out of this? If you truly are a fan of a band (ANY band), why would you ruin it for yourself?

They're complete and utter dumbfucks. They don't have the wisdom to realize that making a total drunk asshole out of yourself comes AFTER the gig in Pub X. tongue.gif

j/k I hear ya

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jun 14 2010, 09:12 PM)

So people who get drunk at shows are Alcoholics?...Interesting.

I havn't got lit up for a show in years. I think it's a young kid thing, just getting amped for the show. But i like to remember the music now.