Last minute tickets

I know many wait until a few hours (or minutes!) before a show to grab some great seats and have had great luck every time.

I am looking to do this not for Rush but another concert this weekend that I don't have tickets too.

My question is: What's a good time frame to buy these *good* last minute tickets right at the venue's box office? 1 hour? 3 hours? Does it vary matter?

Please share your experiences and tips!

Thanks cool.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 9 2010, 02:55 PM)
I know many wait until a few hours (or minutes!) before a show to grab some great seats and have had great luck every time.

I am looking to do this not for Rush but another concert this weekend that I don't have tickets too.

My question is: What's a good time frame to buy these *good* last minute tickets right at the venue's box office? 1 hour? 3 hours? Does it vary matter?

Thanks cool.gif

The only time I've ever done that was for the R30 tour. The box office opened about 2 hrs before the show, and they release seats sporadically. We passed on a few sets, but as the time grew closer, I started getting nervous and we took 200 level seats. We might have done better if we held out, but you take your chances. I figured better to see them in 200 level than miss out. Who knows? We might have scored front row if we'd waited....or missed out altogether.

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 9 2010, 01:55 PM)

Thanks cool.gif

I've had good luck getting good tickets through Ticketmaster 2 days before an event and then picking them up at the venue. I think showing

up at the show and grabbing tix is kind of a crap shoot. If it's not sold out you might have better luck just picking up tix outside the venue from a scalper especially if it's getting close to show time and they need to dump them. I'm not promoting scalping................just sayin'.

On the '07 leg, for curiosity's sake, I looked up some tickets for some shows I had no chance of going to (Cleveland I think, I'm in Orlando) and there were some 4th row seats available through ticketmaster. I looked them up a couple of hours before the show.

I seem to to remember some other shows having good seats as well a few hours before show time. But on the other hand there were a couple of shows that didn't have any good seats.

In answer to your question though, I would try a couple of hours before the show. If it comes down to it, you could always buy tickets from scalpers.

I have seen good tickets though from scalpers who sold tickets cheap a few songs into the first set just to get rid of them.

QUOTE (BrightAntennae @ Jun 9 2010, 05:08 PM)
I'd try to get something from a broker, ebay or stubhub a couple of days before. You can probably get something face value or below for good seats.

This ^

Thanks everyone. I've been trying TM for a few days now, can still get a single inside ticket or lawn if all else fails (outdoor venue).

I'll tell you what happens (if I decide to go.. but I really want to!)

Btw, the band is Sugarland (yes, country, whatever. They are GREAT)

I would start checking Ticketmaster periodically 1 week before the show. Two days before the show start checking Ticketmaster as often as you can. Seats will definitely start turning up. I pulled up front row tickets for Reno the day of or day before (I can't remember) the show for the 2008 leg.

If you go the ticket broker route, use StubHub the day of show. StubHub ends the listings around 6 hours prior to showtime. Right before the listings expire tickets price will drop drastically. For the 2008 Concord show, I saw tickets in the front section for as low as $25. I didn't realize StubHub was about to end all the listings and I missed out.

If you live in a major Metro area, your best option for tix is to surf Craigslist the day before and day of the show. Ticket brokers do NOT want to get stuck holding tickets and will try to dump their tickets for cheap right before the show. There are ALWAYS plenty of brokers left holding tix right before the show. So.....you go on craigslist the day before and up until the afternoon of the show and look for tix for sale. Keep in mind that anybody looking to sell tix this close to showtime is desperate to sell, so if they are looking for much $$ over face value, when you email them offer them less money or face value for the tickets. It works like a charm and I buy most of my tickets for events this way, unless the events are particularly special(I elected premium Rush seats for this tour).

Examples of how this has worked out for me?

Patriots 2007 AFC Championship game, 40 yrd line 3rd row balcony, included a team tailgate party with all the free food and booze you could drink. $175

Paul McCartney, 17th row. Face Value

Roger Waters, 7th row, $20 over face

Bruins/Flyers game 7 this year. 4th row balcony face value

Celtics 2008 Eastern Conference Championship. 10 rows from the court. $30 over face.

QUOTE (spacement @ Jun 10 2010, 10:15 AM)
I would start checking Ticketmaster periodically 1 week before the show.  Two days before the show start checking Ticketmaster as often as you can.  Seats will definitely start turning up.

This is because the band holds tickets back for friends, and when the friends don't use the tickets they go back into circulation. These tickets are aslo the result of unsold "premium" seats as well.

Btw, I saw Springsteen last year 1st loge from the stage and got these tickets through Ticketmaster the day of the show. And yes, you have to keep checking perdiocially throughout the days before the show.

Edited by FootballYouBet

QUOTE (FootballYouBet @ Jun 10 2010, 10:35 AM)
If you live in a major Metro area, your best option for tix is to surf Craigslist the day before and day of the show. Ticket brokers do NOT want to get stuck holding tickets and will try to dump their tickets for cheap right before the show. There are ALWAYS plenty of brokers left holding tix right before the show. So.....you go on craigslist the day before and up until the afternoon of the show and look for tix for sale. Keep in mind that anybody looking to sell tix this close to showtime is desperate to sell, so if they are looking for much $$ over face value, when you email them offer them less money or face value for the tickets. It works like a charm and I buy most of my tickets for events this way, unless the events are particularly special(I elected premium Rush seats for this tour).

Examples of how this has worked out for me?

Patriots 2007 AFC Championship game, 40 yrd line 3rd row balcony, included a team tailgate party with all the free food and booze you could drink. $175

Paul McCartney, 17th row. Face Value

Roger Waters, 7th row, $20 over face

Bruins/Flyers game 7 this year. 4th row balcony face value

Celtics 2008 Eastern Conference Championship. 10 rows from the court. $30 over face.

100% agreed.

Landed two 2nd row tickets for 2008 leg in Orlando...at face value day before the show.

Many other times in the first 10 rows at or below face.

Good thread, I will do the same for Bristow, VA this time since I don't have a ticket yet.

So is it just about a gurantee that tickets will be available one way or another the day of a show? I'd really hate to hold out only to miss out on the show...

When I saw Rush on my 21st birthday 2 years ago TODAY(In Detroit), I had purchased FRONT ROW seats from a broker and got scammed. Knowing what I know about tickets I started requesting seats every 15 minutes from 8am on the day of the show. I was pulling nosebleeds and various side stage rear seating. At AROUND 12:15 I pulled up SEVERAL 4th and 5th row pairs on Alex's side. I of course took 4th row, and loved it!

You have GOT to have the time to sit at the computer ALL MORNING and DAY up until even a few hours before the show to request tickets every 15 minutes. It worked for me and many others!

I always get my tickets at face way in advance (with the MT presales) I have always seemed to have good luck landing the first 15-20 rows with those.....and then if I want to upgrade I start checking the week of the show....usually works out well...sell my other tickets to real fans at face...everyone is happy.

But I always buy what I call my "saftey seat" to make sure I am in no matter what.

Edited by Todem

Well, it's two days before show time and I just scored Row T a few minutes ago!

Kinda back from the stage (20th row?) but for being a somewhat big fan (not HUGEE like Rush), I am happy with this. Especially since the last couple of days I've been pulling single tickets from WAY back in the ampitheater. The only other time I saw Sugarland was on the lawn, so this is great!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very excited yes.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Jun 11 2010, 08:53 AM)
Well, it's two days before show time and I just scored Row T a few minutes ago!

Kinda back from the stage (20th row?) but for being a somewhat big fan (not HUGEE like Rush), I am happy with this. Especially since the last couple of days I've been pulling single tickets from WAY back in the ampitheater. The only other time I saw Sugarland was on the lawn, so this is great!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Very excited yes.gif

Congrats!!!! Enjoy the show.

trink39.gif

I dont trust Craiglist at all. But about Stub Hub or any other broker if its the day of the show.How do you get tickets delivered to you? I never know if you can barter with broker for seat prices.Do you e-mail them with an offer?

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Jun 12 2010, 09:41 AM)
I dont trust Craiglist at all. But about Stub Hub or any other broker if its the day of the show.How do you get tickets delivered to you? I never know if you can barter with broker for seat prices.Do you e-mail them with an offer?

I don't believe you can barter with Stubhub but I believe if you are purchasing tickets within 48hrs. of the show that you have to do the print at home option.

QUOTE (snowdog212 @ Jun 12 2010, 09:41 AM)

craigslist is very dicey--lots of scammers. I am very leery of it. Stubhub has what's called "last minute delivery"--it is a designated location near the venue where they have any tix that cannot be downloaded electronically. I've used it before with no issues at all. The ones I have been to are hotel lobby locations very close to the venues. Very easy. Just pay online and it gives you the address where to go and then you swing by on your way to the show. I think other broker sites have it as well (I am pretty sure ticketsnow does it also)

Day of show tickets may be released when band or crew had seats reserved and didn't need them. I know of friends that got tickets this way ~ I, myself don't have the nerve to try this for 2.gif tickets

Let us know how you fair!