What made your day today? v.2

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

Today my family enjoyed a tremendous German feast care of Greyfriar.

We received a hefty package of smoked ham, liverwurst, bockwurst, some booze, crazy good chocolates, soup mix, assortment of candy, awesome mustards, german pickles. But perhaps most special was a picture of his lovely family and personal handwritten letter.

Next time you come to the states you b have a place in my home mein friend...we'll give you a great welcome—Appalachian style!!!

Thank you River Rhine Burgermeister

Reading that made my day plus walking 6.2 miles today :)

Good for you sir! Taking the bull by the horns I see

We received a hefty package of smoked ham, liverwurst, bockwurst, some booze, crazy good chocolates, soup mix, assortment of candy, awesome mustards, german pickles. But perhaps most special was a picture of his lovely family and personal handwritten letter.

Next time you come to the states you b have a place in my home mein friend...we'll give you a great welcome—Appalachian style!!!

Reading that made my day plus walking 6.2 miles today :)

Wanderlust! Hey, if you're ever in the US and make your way west, loo me up. Tahoe is a great place to hike around!

Some years ago my ex and I went out and bought some hiking boots because we were planning to go to Sweden and hike. We took them out for a "test" one day, walking from downtown to the airport 9 miles out. Seriously, my feet was hurting so bad and was all bloody from blisters but I bit my tongue (was probably acting tough ;) ) and when we got home I didn't touch my boots for weeks. One day I tried them on and they just fit perfectly. But walking 18 miles the first time with them was probably not my brightest idea :P

With winter coming soon it's time to use them again :)

• Like 2

Curious what Appalachian style means.

Ever watched "Deliverance"?

nope

Barbecue, moonshine, Appalachian folk metal. The smell of a fire pit, and stories that'll make your head spin.

if you've not seen the movie just go to YouTube and look up "dueling banjos". Report back when done!

woo, great scene. I think I've missed something.

Barbecue in the moonshine sounds good to me. Love the idea to come to America and meet up with you. :cheers:

'Schland! As for what made my day today...Schnee im Berge!

You've heard of Schland in America??? That amazes me!!! :cheers:

At work today we had a Christmas event with cake, decorations and 'glühwein'. Lots of people coming by and after that we went to a restaurant where I tasted Confit de Canard for the first time, had some beers and a few drinks - free of charge. Tomorrow there's a storm coming in so nobody's coming in for work. What's not to love? :D
  • Like 3

At work today we had a Christmas event with cake, decorations and 'glühwein'. Lots of people coming by and after that we went to a restaurant where I tasted Confit de Canard for the first time, had some beers and a few drinks - free of charge. Tomorrow there's a storm coming in so nobody's coming in for work. What's not to love? :D

I love gluhwein—holiday heaven!
  • Like 1

I love gluhwein—holiday heaven!

I was in charge of the glühwein so I spiked it with a lot of danish 'snaps' :hail:

• Like 2

nope

Barbecue, moonshine, Appalachian folk metal. The smell of a fire pit, and stories that'll make your head spin.

if you've not seen the movie just go to YouTube and look up "dueling banjos". Report back when done!

Barbecue in the moonshine sounds good to me. Love the idea to come to America and meet up with you. :cheers:

My sister lives in Rheinberg, outside of Dortmund. She married a German forester and is now more German than Yank! I keep up to date on most things German from her and other friends and relatives I have in Germany, plus I visit every three years or so. :)
  • Like 1

nope

My sister lives in Rheinberg, outside of Dortmund. She married a German forester and is now more German than Yank! I keep up to date on most things German from her and other friends and relatives I have in Germany, plus I visit every three years or so. :)

Do you like Germany? It's very different compared to the USA.

nope

I love it! Three years ago, I spent a week in Freiburg, drove up and across German to spend another week in Dresden. Both were beautiful cities. This summer I spent some time with friends on the Bodensee, in Markdorf. Lovely! I love Germany in December,, too. I have memories of the Nuremberg market, which is fantastic. Gluhwein... :drool:
  • Like 2

nope

I love it! Three years ago, I spent a week in Freiburg, drove up and across German to spend another week in Dresden. Both were beautiful cities. This summer I spent some time with friends on the Bodensee, in Markdorf. Lovely! I love Germany in December,, too. I have memories of the Nuremberg market, which is fantastic. Gluhwein... :drool:

The Christkindel Market is fabulous, a lot of Christmas atmosphere there. Glühwein is something special and it can bring you very fast up to a certain point. It's so palatable that you don't notice the alcohol till you're laid down, but I love it.

With Freiburg and Dresden you saw 2 very beautiful cities and you can't go wrong with the Bodensee. Go see the Black Forest next. :cheers:

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 2

My daughter got a new job and starts Monday. She was a waitress at a local/family type breakfast place and has been for a while now. She got 235.00 in tips this morning due to it being her last day there. She said some of her "regulars" cried when they heard she was leaving... Now I am..... sorry
  • Like 2

nope

The Christkindel Market is fabulous, a lot of Christmas atmosphere there. Glühwein is something special and it can bring you very fast up to a certain point. It's so palatable that you don't notice the alcohol till you're laid down, but I love it.

With Freiburg and Dresden you saw 2 very beautiful cities and you can't go wrong with the Bodensee. Go see the Black Forest next. :cheers:

Hey, a belated Happy St. Nicholas Day! Was he kind to you, or did you get a visit from Black Peter?

I had a kind St. Nicholas. My boots were filled with outdoor socks, walnuts, tangerines and chocolate. :cheers:
  • Like 2

Going to take my new Telecaster to a jam next Thursday, and I got asked to learn the song "Please Come Home for Christmas" by Charles Brown. Most folks know the version done by The Eagles,which is pretty true to the original. In addition to that, we'll be playing Eric Clapton's up tempo version of Key to the Highway, and a rockabilly medley of Mystery Train, Folsom Prison Blues, and Pinball Wizard. Pinball Wizard, you ask? The first time we did Mystery Train into Folsom Prison Blues, the singer/keyboard player sang some Pinball Wizard lyrics to the tune of Folsom Prison Blues. I cracked up laughing, the audience cracked up, so we've got to include it now. Finally, I mentioned to the singer that I'd been messing around with Hey Joe, and he said OK. But I need to clear up with him if he meant, "Ok, let's play it," or, "Ok, that's nice." Last time I jammed there, we were waiting for a singer to come up, so I started Hey Joe and we did an instrumental version of it. Well, I played a long solo over the chords.

:LOL:

• Like 3

Going to take my new Telecaster to a jam next Thursday, and I got asked to learn the song "Please Come Home for Christmas" by Charles Brown. Most folks know the version done by The Eagles,which is pretty true to the original. In addition to that, we'll be playing Eric Clapton's up tempo version of Key to the Highway, and a rockabilly medley of Mystery Train, Folsom Prison Blues, and Pinball Wizard. Pinball Wizard, you ask? The first time we did Mystery Train into Folsom Prison Blues, the singer/keyboard player sang some Pinball Wizard lyrics to the tune of Folsom Prison Blues. I cracked up laughing, the audience cracked up, so we've got to include it now. Finally, I mentioned to the singer that I'd been messing around with Hey Joe, and he said OK. But I need to clear up with him if he meant, "Ok, let's play it," or, "Ok, that's nice." Last time I jammed there, we were waiting for a singer to come up, so I started Hey Joe and we did an instrumental version of it. Well, I played a long solo over the chords.

:LOL:

Touching...now where's the metal?

This story I saw on the Today show, about a little girl named Gabbie:

http://www.today.com...left-2D11699556

Myself and my boys will be making a special card for her today.

I'm happy because it isn't too late to send her a card. This was a very touching story. I think we've all had a moment in our lives when we were the one left one and you never forget what that feels like. Perhaps there is one or two other wonderful TRF members who wouldn't mind sending a card to this little girl who just wants to feel included and liked, especially during this time of year.

• Like 1

Getting outside on a sunny, snow-covered day. Nothing quite like it.

FYI: Here's the addy for the girl Janie mentioned in her post.

Gabbie

1142 Fairfax Ct

Greenwood, IN 46143

Thanks for posting the address! My oldest drew a picture of him and Gabbie holding hands. She's just the sweetest looking girl. We're going to mail our card and his picture tomorrow.