OFFICIAL Caravan and BU2B reaction thread

Presto-digitation

Short version: Caravan and BU2B are Virtuality without the netboy/netgirl travesty.

Long Version: I bought them from the US iTunes store yesterday just after 11:00 PM EST and have listened to them most of the night and morning.

Both Far Cry and MalNar made better first impressions as these new songs aren't quite as catchy. But the new tunes are fantastic... There's a lot going on musically; it's as if they compressed the best parts of the best songs from SnA, VT, T4E, and CP into 10 minutes.

More importantly, there are no cringe inducing lyrics, choruses, and/or vocals! Though VT wasn't nearly as bad as T4E in this regard and SnA had only a couple *minor* awkward moments (thankfully nothing on SnA detracted significantly from the songs), it's still a relief that the steady improvement in vocal arrangements and lyrics has continued. Perhaps they finally purged Rupert Hine's detrimental influence.

As far as the complaints about Neil's criticism of religious indoctrination and extremism goes, suck it up and deal. That's who he is and his lyrics, though sometimes trite, are reasonable.

Edited by deslock

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I have to do this:

I'm so glad they "can't stop thinking big!"

Haven't thoroughly examined both songs, I'm on my third or fourth listen to "Caravan."

It's incredible - it takes musical concepts explored over several phases of their careers - including "S & A" and "Counterparts" to greater heights.

Depending on how they do the rest of "Clockwork Angels" we could be in for their best album in decades.

I am floating on a cloud of Rushy happiness right now. yes.gif

We had a power outage last night so I couldn't download until this morning. My CD burner is busted so I've swiped the husband's iPod.

Both songs are f***ing incredible. More than I dared expect - and I am always fairly optimistic about Rush output.

I find the polarity of the two tracks interesting. Caravan is so upbeat, and BU2B is definitely dark, both musically and lyrically.

It's complex, yet stripped down. Sharp edges. So far I prefer BU2B. I still don't care for the title, but who gives a shit, because the song is just amazing.

I am still awed. Can't wait for the rest of this album.

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 07:39 AM)
We had a power outage last night so I couldn't download until this morning. My CD burner is busted so I've swiped the husband's iPod.

Both songs are f***ing incredible. More than I dared expect - and I am always fairly optimistic about Rush output.

I find the polarity of the two tracks interesting. Caravan is so upbeat, and BU2B is definitely dark, both musically and lyrically.

It's complex, yet stripped down. Sharp edges. So far I prefer BU2B. I still don't care for the title, but who gives a shit, because the song is just amazing.

Yeah, they did a real nice "light" and "dark" thing with these two songs. Good catch! biggrin.gif

Oh dear.....

After a good few listens, I am still very impressed musically with Caravan in particular, but I have to confess Geddys vocal delivery is beginning to irritate me...This should really have been addressed more here, as they've made a really good stab at fixing all the other issues that have plagued their compositions.

I can't believe that he doesn't notice this, so am forced to conclude that he is just unable to sing in a different key/phrasing....pity, as it is the only thing stopping this being pretty good.

I also listened to them back to back with Freewill and natural Science and I'm afraid they don't really come close to that level when you hear them in context.

Still, good effort and encouraging.

absolutely spot on

2.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 07:42 AM)
Oh dear.....

After a good few listens, I am still very impressed musically with Caravan in particular, but I have to confess Geddys vocal delivery is beginning to irritate me...This should really have been addressed more here, as they've made a really good stab at fixing all the other issues that have plagued their compositions.

I can't believe that he doesn't notice this, so am forced to conclude that he is just unable to sing in a different key/phrasing....pity, as it is the only thing stopping this being pretty good.

I also listened to them back to back with Freewill and natural Science and I'm afraid they don't really come close to that level when you hear them in context.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/debbie_downer.jpg

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 01:47 PM)
Oh dear.....

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/health/theskinny/blog/debbie_downer.jpg

Just being honest.

When I initially heard them, I was just so happy to hear good musical separation that I was sort of "blinded" to it...as I get used to the track it is becoming more of an issue for me now.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ May 31 2010, 10:44 PM)
i've only heard caravan but i like it alot. it's in your face and all over the place. i haven't listened to bu2b but after reading the lyrics i'm disappointed because i'm sick of listening to neils bs or view on things he's already hit on. i'll have to check out the music tomorrow.

It's a different take on the "RELIGION IS GHEY!" bent he's been on. The message is definitely there, but its a more practical rant, if you get my drift. And the music is amazing. The band is playing high gear.

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 07:48 AM)
Oh dear.....

Just being honest.

When I initially heard them, I was just so happy to hear good musical separation that I was sort of "blinded" to it...as I get used to the track it is becoming more of an issue for me now.

I know but it's good to hear them rocking out finally.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 1 2010, 01:50 PM)
Oh dear.....

Just being honest.

I know but it's good to hear them rocking out finally.

It is

I have NO complaints musically about Caravan (BU2B still undecided), but the vocals are really proving an obstacle for me.

Oh dear.....

Just being honest.

That's still about 10X more positive than I expected from you, so we're still in the black.

QUOTE (Merely Space @ May 31 2010, 10:55 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 31 2010, 10:41 PM)
So if this is what they sound like now what happens when they record the rest of the album after they get their "touring chops" as Geddy had mentioned?  laugh.gif

I was thinking as I listened that if this is the type of album they want to make, it's good that they want to sharpen their chops to a finely honed edge by touring before the bulk of the recording.

I dunno. I'm a big believer in striking while the iron is hot. Both songs are amazing, energetic. Maybe they should've just cut the album. Who knows where they'll be musically at the end of the year?

I think you've captured the sentiment well here Mara!

Yeah 'BU2B' is definitely the darker of the two and I'll need to take a closer look at the lyrics to see what I think. I am digging through "Caravan" more often at this stage and so far like it more.

As others have said, they've really set the bar high for the rest of the album. I know they are up for the task though!!

BU2B is grabbing me more. Love the instrumental passages in Caravan.

As Fridge said though, vocally irritating, particularly in Caravan.

Neither as immediate as Far Cry, but there is a lot going on, so they're growers.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ May 31 2010, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 31 2010, 11:24 PM)
I just saw this post on the CP forum.

I'll just echo it for my reaction:

Dear other bands:
U suck...this is how u do it...
Love,
RUSHHHHHHHHH

laugh.gif

1022.gif

Oh, yeah! cool.gif

So well said!

Oh dear.....

Just being honest.

love the songs but i agree with fridge,geds vox are a tad irritating and is one of the reasons i dident care for s&a or vt.

ironic i suppose that i prefer the 70s material when geds voice was considered by many to be at his most irritating.

on a positive note the guys have really nailed it musically and i look forward to more of the same

QUOTE (Mara @ Jun 1 2010, 08:01 AM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ May 31 2010, 11:32 PM)
QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ May 31 2010, 11:24 PM)
I just saw this post on the CP forum.

I'll just echo it for my reaction:

Dear other bands:
U suck...this is how u do it...
Love,
RUSHHHHHHHHH

laugh.gif

1022.gif

Oh, yeah! cool.gif

So well said!

love it new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

This is REAL music

OK, just got the chills singing "Can't stop thinking big." Brrr! This is GREAT stuff!

QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Jun 1 2010, 02:07 PM)
I have no issues with the vocals, they work perfectly, sound bob on

Sorry, but they really don't

The "can't Help thinking Big" bit is really nice, but "The Caravan thunders onward etc" is pretty rank, though the underlying music is great.

Just got my first proper listen to the full tracks. Straight off I made an immediate connection with BU2B first (weird cos I thought by everyone elses description it'd be Caravan that'd get me first) - but i'm a sucker for pounding hard heavy riffs so that drew me in, very dark and delicious.

Caravan I definitely like off the bat but it'll just take getting more familiar with it (I guess I'll just have to listen to it over...and over....and over....oh poor me wink.gif ) I thought this was pretty dark too, and for some weird reason the images that came to mind whilst listening were of some evil Carnivale type scenario. I like that!

Yeah, whatever's in the soup, I'll have some of that!

It's gonna feel like forever waiting for the new album!

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ Jun 1 2010, 08:11 AM)
QUOTE (The Main Monkey Business @ Jun 1 2010, 02:07 PM)
I have no issues with the vocals, they work perfectly, sound bob on

Sorry, but they really don't

The "can't Help thinking Big" bit is really nice, but "The Caravan thunders onward etc" is pretty rank, though the underlying music is great.

maybe my uncompromising love for rush and respect for geddy are altering what I'm hearing, but I will carry on listening to see if I can pick up on your point, even if i do, it wont effect my love for this song or how I hear it.

One other thought: It's evident Nick was in there kicking their butts, pushing them to the limits, especially Neil. He is playing no small part in keeping them relevant, fresh and inventive.