What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

I'm currently reading Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters, and Lord of the Flies.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 21 2008, 03:36 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 21 2008, 01:37 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 21 2008, 05:23 AM)
Stephen King - On Writing

That's a great book...let us know what you think. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. smile.gif

I've read it a couple times myself. Great book.

AMAZING book. It should be included in an English teacher's curriculum (unsure of the spelling.)

Anyway, I'm currently re-reading John Green's An Abundance of Katherines.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 21 2008, 01:38 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Oct 21 2008, 11:32 AM)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/marklee2005/R0ZBimEdR2I/AAAAAAAABlw/TFHkUkTdJR8/7210179.jpg

Great, great book. Very long but keeps you turning the pages, wonderful characters and what a plot. Highly recommended.

I can't see the image - from your description it sure sounds good.

Oops: Cryptonomicon.

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Oct 17 2008, 01:36 PM)
Boone: A Biography By Robert Morgan

http://epayment.ndus.nodak.edu/C22800_ustores/web/images/store_14/booneFull.jpg

http://www.andersonsbookshop.com/boone.jpg

Sorry to be quoting myself, but this book is a fantastic read! I am a history buff and the best history books are those that teach you something you never knew. I knew next to nothing about Daniel Boone and have absorbed so much reading this. What I have enjoyed most is the way the author paints life on the fronteir of the late 18th century. I highly recommend this book!

I'm currently reading Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters, and Lord of the Flies.

Lord of the Flies is a great book.

When i read this in english last year, we had the best student teacher who went so in depth about EVERYTHING and made it so much more enjoyable.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MK0XX9BPL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Classic Crimes, an anthology of the true crime writing of William Roughead.

A must for any crime library. The "true crime" genre gets short shrift by "serious" writers, but Roughead could be considered true crime's Henry James. Between 1889 and 1949, he attended every murder trial in Edinburgh, and wrote about many of them. This is very "literary" compared to most of the genre's populist stuff. Twelve crime stories from Roughead's previously published (and now mostly out-of-print) books. He's the Godfather of the true crime genre; I'm glad I was steered towards his stuff.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 21 2008, 06:37 PM)

That's a great book...let us know what you think. I was very pleasantly surprised by it. smile.gif

Loving it! My wife bought it for me, she's not a fan, she read it first and loved it. She's on Lisey's Story now. I would have been a big fan of his, but I feel he's been treading water a lot since Rose Madder, some good, some bloody awful.

This though, is a beautifully written book.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 22 2008, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Oct 21 2008, 06:37 PM)

Loving it! My wife bought it for me, she's not a fan, she read it first and loved it. She's on Lisey's Story now. I would have been a big fan of his, but I feel he's been treading water a lot since Rose Madder, some good, some bloody awful.

This though, is a beautifully written book.

My thoughts exactly!

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Oct 22 2008, 11:53 PM)
Just finished "A Pirate Looks at 50" by Jimmy Buffet. I know. I know. Trust me - he is a much better author than he is a songwriter. IMO!

laugh.gif

I never could "get" him. My wife and her old college friends all love him. I think he sucks, and is living proof that musicians who use drugs are NOT more creative. laugh.gif

QUOTE (*Limelight* @ Oct 22 2008, 04:43 AM)

Lord of the Flies is a great book.

When i read this in english last year, we had the best student teacher who went so in depth about EVERYTHING and made it so much more enjoyable.

yes.gif

I read that at school as part of English literature, so i know exactly what you mean, it's a great book, and great to study.

QUOTE (rushgoddess @ Oct 24 2008, 04:46 PM)
if you haven't read Stephen Kings Dark tower books
you should, i'm on the 3rd one and even if you don't like his horror
these books are totally different

I completed the series last year, great books and very interesting as he writes himself in there too (sorry, I won't give any more away) biggrin.gif

Mossflower by Brian Jacques. I really forgot just how great these books are.....Jacques is a truly amazing storyteller....absolute genius. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (ouchithurts @ Oct 25 2008, 05:55 PM)
Hot, Flat, and Crowded: Why We Need a Green Revolution--and How It Can Renew America by Thomas L. Friedman

http://www.thomaslfriedman.com/files/jackets/hot_flat_and_crowded.jpg

Ouch, review that one when you are done, if you would please. It looks interesting.

Until the Final Hour - Hitler's Last Secretary by Traudl Junge (who was actually Hitler's secretary from 1942 until his death April 30 1945). It's fascinating stuff and was recently made into a movie called The Downfall (excellent movie too, btw).