Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 7 2010, 06:02 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 7 2010, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 7 2010, 12:50 PM)
I picked Grunge but I'm also a card carrying Winger fan.  ph34r.gif

Kip Winger is actually very talented.

Rod Morgenstein is a sick drummer, and Reb Beach tears. They always got a raw deal, IMO.

True. They got a raw deal because they wrote shit songs laugh.gif Great players anyhow

Amen,

Love,

The Dixie Dregs

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 7 2010, 06:48 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 7 2010, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:05 PM)

Rod Morgenstein is a sick drummer, and Reb Beach tears. They always got a raw deal, IMO.

Yeah from that late 80s era there's a few bands I like that could be viewed as hair metal, such as Winger, Giant, Guns n Roses...

I agree. Winger and Giant weren't bad. Guns n Roses on the other hand. 062802puke_prv.gif

Well I wasn't that big on GnR but compared to the likes of Poison and Warrant, I prefer them...

Another decent "hair" band of that era, certainly underrated anyway are Thunder...

Tesla was another band that got lumped in with all the hair metal guys, but i always just thought they were a straight up rock band.

Right again doood!! TESLA ROCKED back in the Day!!!!!

I didn't like their latest album, but then again a lot of these Eighties bands are "Losing It." laugh.gif

Oh well my friend, it's Friday night, time for me to "BUST A NUT!" rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Cheers!!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

I dunno why they called them "Hair Metal" anyway, all the metal bands had loads of hair, Iron Maiden had way more hair than Poison and Great White. And anyway those make-up bands were just called glam metal back in the day as far as I recall. Hair metal was a term coined in retrospect I suspect...

Hairspray metal would have made more sense as a name...

back in the 80's I was more into thrash and speed metal and traditional heavy metal. I hated "poser" rock (what they call hair metal now). I still hate the glam look but Ive since kinda taken a liking in a small way to a few of the bands.

Grunge, on the other hand, I liked a few songs back when those bands first came out but now I cant stand grunge, especially how it still has an effect on modern rock and metal. The downtuned monotone songs by mostly questionable talented bands. Come to think of it most of the hair bands (post 1986) were low on talent and high on image not unlike most of the grunge bands.

Thats why my favorite era of music is probably early 70's to early 80's, when it actually took some talent to make decent music, and the mid to late 80's thrash metal as well. Back when music was foremost and music was the image.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 7 2010, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 7 2010, 12:19 PM)
Whoever said that Every Rose Has Its Thorn is the best song every written is a complete moron. The music of that day has been a thorn in the side of serious musicians since its inception.

The person who said that in this thread was being completely sarcastic.

I really do hope so man. But from the local music scene here in Chicago you would think that to be true. On any given Friday/Saturday evening anywhere here in Chicagoland that song is being puked out by at least 30 cover bands taking great opportunities away from real musicians all in the name of "feeding fat chicks booze and chicken tenders".

You guys want to see some real music come on out to Time Out West this evening. Rest assured as long as blood still boils through my veins (and the hair is still at least to my ass) you will have a representation of what a real band looks like and more to the point why that 80's Hair Metal bullshit needs to be jammed back up the ass it came from.

I think the armband says it all:

http://chroniclesofrush.com/gallery/14/1.png

P.S. Tesla was an awesome rock band. I still go out to see them whenever they come to Chicago.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 7 2010, 08:48 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 7 2010, 03:19 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:05 PM)

Yeah from that late 80s era there's a few bands I like that could be viewed as hair metal, such as Winger, Giant, Guns n Roses...

I agree. Winger and Giant weren't bad. Guns n Roses on the other hand. 062802puke_prv.gif

Well I wasn't that big on GnR but compared to the likes of Poison and Warrant, I prefer them...

Another decent "hair" band of that era, certainly underrated anyway are Thunder...

Tesla was another band that got lumped in with all the hair metal guys, but i always just thought they were a straight up rock band.

Tesla still kick ass

Grunge yes.gif

Alice In Chains, Mad Season, Green River, Mudhoney, Mr Epp & the Calculations, Candlebox, Pearl Jam, Days of the New, Downface, Screaming Trees, Hole, Queenadreena...

YES - Grunge for sure. The only hair metal band I would even come close to listening to is Def Leppard.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 8 2010, 02:32 AM)
I dunno why they called them "Hair Metal" anyway, all the metal bands had loads of hair, Iron Maiden had way more hair than Poison and Great White. And anyway those make-up bands were just called glam metal back in the day as far as I recall. Hair metal was a term coined in retrospect I suspect...

it wasn't because of the amount of hair, it was because that was viewed as the most important element to any hair band; the hair. They bleached it , sprayed it, teased it and worried about it at night. They probably got mad at girls if they touched the hair. "Real" metallers like Maiden had long hair but they didn't go to great efforts to style it - some would say that few of them even washed it (Lemmy?).

Don't step on blue suede shoes? No, more like don't touch my blonde, teased locks.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 8 2010, 02:45 PM)

it wasn't because of the amount of hair, it was because that was viewed as the most important element to any hair band; the hair. They bleached it , sprayed it, teased it and worried about it at night. They probably got mad at girls if they touched the hair. "Real" metallers like Maiden had long hair but they didn't go to great efforts to style it - some would say that few of them even washed it (Lemmy?).

Don't step on blue suede shoes? No, more like don't touch my blonde, teased locks.

You sound like you speak from experience, what was your hair metal band called??

wink.gif

QUOTE (Rhosyn Helena @ May 9 2010, 03:26 AM)
YES - Grunge for sure. The only hair metal band I would even come close to listening to is Def Leppard.

I don't see Def Lep as hair-metal, but that's just me.

QUOTE (Steevo @ May 8 2010, 05:15 PM)

That's right Def Leppard were actually part of the NWOBHM movement and predated hair metal by about 8 years. By the time Poison were making a name for themselves Def Leppard had already had a career. Don't forget they recorded their first album in 1979 and it was in the shops by March 1980, that's a whole other era.

And more importantly their music on the first three albums is more catchy hard rock than anything like glam/hair metal. And less importantly they never wore make-up, or certainly not as a big part of their image ala Poison.

(I mention Poison because I know they toured with Elliot and co recently and that seems to have confused a few people into shoving both bands into the same catergory, in the way that people lump Black sabbath and Bad Company into the same "classic rock" catergory, when they bear no relation to each other.)

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 8 2010, 05:27 PM)

That's right Def Leppard were actually part of the NWOBHM movement and predated hair metal by about 8 years. By the time Poison were making a name for themselves Def Leppard had already had a career. Don't forget they recorded their first album in 1979 and it was in the shops by March 1980, that's a whole other era.

And more importantly their music on the first three albums is more catchy hard rock than anything like glam/hair metal. And less importantly they never wore make-up, or certainly not as a big part of their image ala Poison.

(I mention Poison because I know they toured with Elliot and co recently and that seems to have confused a few people into shoving both bands into the same catergory, in the way that people lump Black sabbath and Bad Company into the same "classic rock" catergory, when they bear no relation to each other.)

Yeah, that seemed to happen to many bands from that time. You were just lumped in as hair metal, even though you might not even sound or look like a so called hair metal band.

Take Skid Row. Their album Slave to the Grind was heavier than anything Warrant or Poison ever did, or COULD do. But a lot of people still classify them as " hair metal". And Skid Row toured with Soundgarden , and by all accounts, Kim Thayil liked the two guitarists in S.R.

Edited by Xanadoood

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 8 2010, 05:51 PM)

Yeah, that seemed to happen to many bands from that time. You were just lumped in as hair metal, even though you might not even sound or look like a so called hair metal band.

Take Skid Row. Their album Slave to the Grind was heavier than anything Warrant or Poison ever did, or COULD do. But a lot of people still classify them as " hair metal". And Skid Row toured with Soundgarden , and by all accounts, Kim Thayil liked the two guitarists in S.R.

I had that album I bought it the same day as the second Badlands album...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 9 2010, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 8 2010, 05:51 PM)

I had that album I bought it the same day as the second Badlands album...

I remember being shocked upon hearing the heaviness to Slave to the Grind. It was a good direction for them.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 8 2010, 06:12 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ May 8 2010, 02:45 PM)

You sound like you speak from experience, what was your hair metal band called??

wink.gif

ph34r.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ May 9 2010, 04:10 AM)
8 pages, who woulda thunk it biggrin.gif

Amazing isnt it?.

I have a theory as to why people love debating about these two scenes.

Hair Metal and Grunge were the last two popular, mainstream musical styles. After grunge ended, it got broken down into a lot of different scenes. The last 10 years or so, i really dont think there has been any big style that has grabbed hold of the mainstream music world. So called " Nu-Metal" was big for a few years, but not like Pearl jam or the hair metal bands.

Some great bands have come along in recent years, but hair metal and grunge almost have a nostalgic feel to them.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 9 2010, 01:56 AM)
Where's the neither option? unsure.gif

Its called, ignore the thread and don't vote. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 6 2010, 03:14 PM)
I gotta go with C biggrin.gif
None of the above .

Same with me.

You could call this poll Preening Poseurs vs Navel Gazers (or is that just the fans? tongue.gif )