The concept of the Time Machine Tour

rushgoober

I must admit that I was initially skeptical and not thrilled with the thought of Rush touring without a new album.

Then I heard their plans - record a couple of songs, go on a short(ish) tour, finish an entire album, go on a longer tour.

While I still long for the days of getting albums from them far more often than every 4 or 5 years, and while I still think they're kind of stretching out the live show thing over making new music as that's where the big money is, at least they're planning on a new album fairly soon.

And then there's the concept of the Time Machine Tour. I think they came up with a great concept playing all of MP. I can only assume they'll also be playing some other older material. If they are going to tour without a new album, at least they gave it a gimmick that people can get excited about.

I do think some people are being willingly misled by the title "Time Machine". There's been so much talk and so much hope for a "B-sides" tour, or an all "out of the vault" tour, complete with kimonos and vintage equipment with no sampling.

I fear some people's expectations may be setting them up for disappointment, which will be a damn shame since it's bound to be a hell of a show.

other than the awkward timing of it and the movie i think its a great idea and one with infinite possibilities. maybe the next leg, the time machine could get trapped in a certain decade or whatever.

i really like the idea of going to the future. cool10.gif

I think the name of the tour tells a lot. If they dont dig into the vault and play some never before heard or not heard in a while tunes, then a lot of people are going to be pissed.

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/doc-and-marty1-1.jpg

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 15 2010, 12:15 PM)
I do think some people are being willingly misled by the title "Time Machine". There's been so much talk and so much hope for a "B-sides" tour, or an all "out of the vault" tour, complete with kimonos and vintage equipment with no sampling.
I fear some people's expectations may be setting them up for disappointment, which will be a damn shame since it's bound to be a hell of a show.

I think it's reasonable to assume they will play a bit more older material than usual, and pull out at least a couple of older gems they haven't played in awhile besides TCE. The one advantage of no new album is they have no obligation to play a lot of songs of the last couple of albums.

Just as long as people don't expect a Necromancer/Hemispheres/By-Tor/La Villa/In The Mood/Fountain of Lameth/Cinderella Man/Different Strings medley and keep their expectations reasonable, I doubt there'll be too much disappointment.

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 15 2010, 12:19 PM)
Don't you get it? With a time machine they can play songs from the past and from the future.

I picture a big spinning date that changes with every song...

That's a really cool idea! I can totally see behind Geddy a big spinning wheel that lights up and spins automatically after every song, and when it lands a big lighted year appears, like 1977 and then they play Xanadu, then 1982 and then they play Subdivisions, etc.

The way the big wheel spins...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2010, 02:38 PM)
I do think some people are being willingly misled by the title "Time Machine".  There's been so much talk and so much hope for a "B-sides" tour, or an all "out of the vault" tour, complete with kimonos and vintage equipment with no sampling.

I think it's reasonable to assume they will play a bit more older material than usual, and pull out at least a couple of older gems they haven't played in awhile besides TCE. The one advantage of no new album is they have no obligation to play a lot of songs of the last couple of albums.

Just as long as people don't expect a Necromancer/Hemispheres/By-Tor/La Villa/In The Mood/Fountain of Lameth/Cinderella Man/Different Strings medley and keep their expectations reasonable, I doubt there'll be too much disappointment.

goodpost.gif i agree. Also, as long as The Larger Bowl stays shut biggrin.gif we will be in for a great time

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 15 2010, 03:38 PM)
I do think some people are being willingly misled by the title "Time Machine".  There's been so much talk and so much hope for a "B-sides" tour, or an all "out of the vault" tour, complete with kimonos and vintage equipment with no sampling.

Right - I absolutely think they'll dig a little deeper than usual. But I think some assumptions are being made - for example, they are not going to ignore their most recent album, nor should they.

Earlier post made a good point - you can travel into the future as well as the past.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 15 2010, 02:35 PM)
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/doc-and-marty1-1.jpg

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 15 2010, 01:19 PM)
Don't you get it?  With a time machine they can play songs from the past and from the future.

Exactly!!! That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the tour name. Some new some old some in between some never played before..

What ever it is it will be damn Good 2.gif yes.gif

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Apr 15 2010, 05:21 PM)
QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 15 2010, 01:19 PM)
Don't you get it?  With a time machine they can play songs from the past and from the future.

Exactly!!! That was the first thing I thought of when I heard the tour name. Some new some old some in between some never played before..

What ever it is it will be damn Good 2.gif yes.gif

Just the mystery of the songs that could pop is a thrill in ALL of this.

QUOTE (hazlnut @ Apr 15 2010, 02:19 PM)

Great point. Old classics from the vault, a couple of new songs, makes sense.

Edited by greg2112

I never thought about the vintage equipment idea. I would sit through the entire Snakes and Arrows album with MP as an encore if Ged played the entire show on his Double Rick with the Sunn amps. Seriously, Counterparts was almost 17 years ago so there is a lot of past to pick from. I figure it will be a lot like the last tour. Standards with a few (3 or 4) surprises they have not pulled out in a while