Given the recent and ongoing euphoria, is The Camera Eye over-rated  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Given the recent and ongoing euphoria, is The Camera Eye over-rated

• By a Country Mile
    • Yes, but only a bit
    • It's about right
    • No freakin' way
    • It's all I listen to

I appreciate that it is the song played live the least from Moving Pictures and that MP is their most popular album, but I have seen it live and listened to it many, many times.

It is good, it is very good, but IMHO it isn't worth all the pant-wetting excitement I read about. Yes it will be cool for those who haven't seen it live to see it live.

I have seen it live.

It probably only just nudges in to my top 15 Rush tracks

I await your brickbats

trink38.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's the weakest link on Moving Pictures. That's not to say it's a bad song, far from it. It's simply overrated. It suffers from being repetitive. It's basically a 5 minute song played twice in a row. The killer guitar solo is the highlight.

The thing that I don't get is that the band appears to be "giving in" by bringing it back. Most of us, whether we like the song or not, would agree that it appeared to be off the grid until the idea to revisit MP "in it's entirety" came up.

I'm not sure I'm looking to hear a song that appears to be in the set under duress.

FWIW I am pretty indefferent about the song. I saw it live back in the day and it was no highlight for me.

Not at all

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 9 2010, 10:29 AM)
It's the weakest link on Moving Pictures. That's not to say it's a bad song, far from it. It's simply overrated. It suffers from being repetitive. It's basically a 5 minute song played twice in a row. The killer guitar solo is the highlight.

You and I share the same opinion of that song.

I don't get all of the hysteria over the Camera Eye. confused13.gif

this poll needs another option... "well we're about to find out!" tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 9 2010, 08:29 AM)
It's the weakest link on Moving Pictures.  That's not to say it's a bad song, far from it.  It's simply overrated.  It suffers from being repetitive.  It's basically a 5 minute song played twice in a row.  The killer guitar solo is the highlight.

THIS.

Also, I was never too crazy about the whole "the focus is sharp in the city" theme - it's not like it's so much contrived as just a tad lyrically clumsy.

Still a great song, but the weakest point on MP, keeping the album from being absolutely perfect.

It's definitely a bit overrated..

IMHO, obviously...

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 9 2010, 02:28 PM)
It's the weakest link on Moving Pictures.  That's not to say it's a bad song, far from it.  It's simply overrated.  It suffers from being repetitive.  It's basically a 5 minute song played twice in a row.  The killer guitar solo is the highlight.

If they did not wait decades to play it agian , it would be no big deal. Since they have not done it since 1982 people are happy, as i am

I find it an interesting track - it's the last of those ten minute+ songs, so it's sort of the end of an era. It might be repetitive, but I like the sound of it so I'm not terribly bored by it. I don't know that it's the weakest track on MP, though; "Witch Hunt" is worse, lyrically.

I really never understood the over the top excitement of hearing certain songs live or not, and it seems most of the fervor over this song is because they haven't played it live in so long, not because it's one of their very best or anything.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2010, 02:53 PM)
It's such a synth-heavy song... I'm wondering how it'll sound live with 2010 technology.

I want the original Taurus and keyboard sounds back 1287.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 02:45 PM)

If they did not wait decades to play it agian , it would be no big deal. Since they have not done it since 1982 people are happy, as i am

How long has it been since they played "I Think I'm Going Bald" live? wink.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 9 2010, 03:17 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 02:45 PM)

How long has it been since they played "I Think I'm Going Bald" live? wink.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Apr 9 2010, 11:37 AM)
Well I know The Camera Eye THREADS are overrated...

Cha-ching!!! laugh.gif

That said, I think it gets more credit than it deserves due to its long absence. It's acquired this mystique that, let's be honest, gets it far more accolade than it really deserves.

I like it, don't love it, but I don't skip over it. Well, sometimes I skip the second verse. . .

Archived