Alcatraz

GeddyRulz

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Alcatraz03182006.jpg/1500px-Alcatraz03182006.jpg

Anybody else fascinated by Alcatraz Island? This is a strange interest I return to again and again.

Back in 1977-78, I lived near San Fran and went on the Alcatraz tour two or three times. In my adult years, I became fascinated not just with Alcatraz's years as a Federal Prison, but also with the later 19-month period when the island was occupied by American Indians.

Here's some links:

General overview of Alcatraz Island

Details of all 14 escape attempts

Violent 1946 escape attempt known as 'the Battle of Alcatraz'

Intricate 1962 escape attempt, the basis for the Clint Eastwood film "Escape from Alcatraz"

Nineteen-month-long Indian occupation of the island

Multi-page article about the Indian occupation

Alcatraz is definitely a creepy place. I have always liked watching specials on the 1962 breakout. And its supposedly haunted as well, not surprisingly. Id like to go on a tour someday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/escape_from_alcatraz.jpg

I love this movie!

I can certainly imagine the place to be haunted with the silent echos of clanging doors slamming shut, the murmour of voices and the screams of prisoners going out of their minds or being tortured by other prisoners.

A chilling place even in the light of day

Didn't Eastwood film "The Enforcer" there as well?

It's been an age since I saw that film but can't recall exactly if some of it was shot there or not.

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Mar 4 2010, 08:10 AM)
I can certainly imagine the place to be haunted with the silent echos of clanging doors slamming shut, the murmour of voices and the screams of prisoners going out of their minds or being tortured by other prisoners.

A chilling place even in the light of day

Those Ghost Hunter shows love closed-down prisons and mental hospitals.

I don't for a second believe it's any more haunted than any other place on the planet, but should I get the opportunity to visit SF, Alc is definitely on the list of places to go.

editedforgrammar

I have been to the area 2 times in the 90's and like a jackass i did not go banghead.gif Next time i am in the area for sure

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2010, 03:43 PM)
Good band

trink38.gif

Yes but Bad singer trink39.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 4 2010, 03:52 PM)
Good band

trink38.gif

oh I like Graham Bonnet...the MSG album, Assault attack is my favourite featuring Bonnet...

cool.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2010, 03:59 PM)
Good band

trink38.gif

oh I like Graham Bonnet...the MSG album, Assault attack is my favourite featuring Bonnet...

cool.gif

The stuff with Alcatraz , not so much biggrin.gif . The M.S.G stuff was good

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2010, 01:43 PM)
Good band good film...

trink38.gif

You beat me to it Steve Vai! tongue.gif

Nothing like a little "Disturbing The Peace" to get your day going!

Oh yes, been to "The Rock" many times in my life being born and raised out here in the Bay Area.

I am being a lazy daddy though. Our oldest daughter Zoe is going to be 13 on Saturday and has never been to Alcatraz. She is dying to go there to explore.

I really need to plan a trip out there.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Mar 4 2010, 04:03 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2010, 03:59 PM)
Good band

trink38.gif

cool.gif

The stuff with Alcatraz , not so much biggrin.gif . The M.S.G stuff was good

I quite like the first two Alcatrazz albums with Malmsteen and then Vai. That was when Malmsteen was actually good an came up with good riffs and hadn't yet begun repeating himself. Bonnet is very solid on both.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Mar 4 2010, 04:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 4 2010, 01:43 PM)
Good band good film...

trink38.gif

You beat me to it Steve Vai! tongue.gif

Nothing like a little "Disturbing The Peace" to get your day going!

Oh yes, been to "The Rock" many times in my life being born and raised out here in the Bay Area.

I am being a lazy daddy though. Our oldest daughter Zoe is going to be 13 on Saturday and has never been to Alcatraz. She is dying to go there to explore.

I really need to plan a trip out there.

trink39.gif cool10.gif

Hey everyone! Greetings from Santa Rosa California! I've been here at a continuing education seminar on esthetics the last few days. Anyway, so tomorrow I'm going to San Francisco and we have tickets to go to Alcatraz. (This thread inspired me. laugh.gif ) So I will take some pictures and hopefully have them posted on here by next week.

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Mar 13 2010, 01:16 AM)
Hey everyone! Greetings from Santa Rosa California! I've been here at a continuing education seminar on esthetics the last few days. Anyway, so tomorrow I'm going to San Francisco and we have tickets to go to Alcatraz. (This thread inspired me. laugh.gif ) So I will take some pictures and hopefully have them posted on here by next week.

See if you can get a meet and greet with Bonnet and Malmsteen!

laugh.gif

trink39.gif

Dude, you rule! (And Geddy too, eh?) Wish I was there.

I'm curious how far in advance they're sold-out. Do you know?

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Mar 13 2010, 06:43 AM)

trink39.gif

Dude, you rule! (And Geddy too, eh?) Wish I was there.

I'm curious how far in advance they're sold-out. Do you know?

You can check for tickets here:

Alcatraz Tickets

Archived