Once Again......Why Are Rush So Secretive??

presto123

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Mar 2 2010, 11:57 AM)
"Win a Date With Neil"

F-N hilarious laugh.gif

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Mar 2 2010, 09:57 AM)
Yeah, Rush needs to immediately implement:

1. Weekly e-mail status updates to their fans.

2. Weekly right track/wrong track polling as the new album progresses, so fans can influence the final outcome.

3. Hour long meet-and-greets before and after each show, so the fans can hang out with the band, including Neil.

4. "Win a Date With Neil" contest, where groups of fans can hang out with Neil for a few hours and try to get him to come out of his shell.

sarcasm.gif

Would this be enough? Probably not. confused13.gif

laugh.gif

I don't think any of this kind of stuff is necessary, and just because they don't hang out on stage for 15 minutes after a show doesn't make them cold, but they could have done a lot more over the years to encourage more success and popularity. Maybe making an album more than once every 5 years or so could have helped... maybe just a little... ? wink.gif

Maybe the guys in Rush don't really think that so much is going down. All the rumours, the urgency, the angst, the impatience are created by fans and propelled along by fans. Could it be that the band is just going about their business and things will be announced at the right time, and they see it as normal, while many of their fans are taking it all a little too hard?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 2 2010, 11:20 AM)
Rush have always done things their own way, seemingly without any concern for what other people think, other than they always seem to give it their all in concert and almost always on their albums.

This worked in their favor for a very long time, but hasn't served as well in the second half of their career IMHO. I think they've almost lucked into a recent batch of extra popularity just from sheer longevity and things like Rock Band, but are they really more popular? Yeah there was the Colbert Report and the movie I Love You, Man, etc., but did that really make much of an impact beyond a tiny blip outside of hardcore Rush fans? They certainly haven't been gaining in popularity in recent years based on their recent albums, that's for sure. Maybe the documentary will push them ahead a tiny bit more.

Of course Rush don't seem to care about any of this, which works for them, obviously. As a long time fan, though, someone who's watched them be consistently disrespected for the past 30 years, it would be nice for them to get some of the accolades they deserve like the RRHOF. Sure it's a bullshit organization that's let in a lot of people that didn't deserve it or weren't rock, but it's the principle of the thing - just a little bit of credit for how much better they are than almost anybody else, just an occasional mention of them among the all-time greats by something remotely mainstream. Rush not even at the Olympics in their own country where Rush is often considered one of their best international exports? What kind of bullshit is that?

Anyway, all smilies-8579.png - I know many of you couldn't care less.

rantoff.gif

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

as far as the olympics, the only thing that would have been a bigger slap in the face would be if Shania Twain had performed and they didn't.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Mar 2 2010, 11:57 AM)
4. "Win a Date With Neil" contest, where groups of fans can hang out with Neil for a few hours and try to get him to come out of his shell.

sarcasm.gif

z7shysterical.gif laugh.gif ya. that'd happen. fing.gif

applaudit.gif applaudit.gif

QUOTE (presto123 @ Mar 1 2010, 10:37 PM)
I've posted this statement before and some of you just kind of blew me off. But with all the stuff that has went down lately with not a word from the band it just proves my point. Rush are a secretive band and that's just the way they are and they are not going to change. Some bands give weekly progress on what they are up to and Rush are not one of those bands. I guess some of you that like surprises may like it this way........but I am impatient:) Throw something out there guys!! LOL.

Its to keep us dopes guessing. They realize there is a lot more interest in them when we're kept in the dark. Creates more buzz. By then, when something officially comes out we are orgasming all over the place and the hype level goes up as well as ticket sales. There's a real psychology behind their actions.

Concert hall....echoes.. with the sounds.. of salesmen

Quite prophetic, imo.

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Mar 2 2010, 11:36 AM)
I've posted this statement before and some of you just kind of blew me off. But with all the stuff that has went down lately with not a word from the band it just proves my point. Rush are a secretive band and that's just the way they are and they are not going to change. Some bands give weekly progress on what they are up to and Rush are not one of those bands. I guess some of you that like surprises may like it this way........but I am impatient:) Throw something out there guys!! LOL.

Its to keep us dopes guessing. They realize there is a lot more interest in them when we're kept in the dark. Creates more buzz. By then, when something officially comes out we are orgasming all over the place and the hype level goes up as well as ticket sales. There's a real psychology behind their actions.

Concert hall....echoes.. with the sounds.. of salesmen

Quite prophetic, imo.

Honestly, secretive or not secretive, I don't think it matters in terms of hype or ticket sales. The casual fans will get tickets (and not buy albums) once they hear about a tour, whether it was two months ago or two months from now. I think the only people who really care and are on pins and needles for more info are the hardcore fans, and we'll buy their albums and see them no matter what anyway.

If they released more info, it would be nicer for us, their core audience, but as always they have their own agendas.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Mar 3 2010, 01:57 AM)
Yeah, Rush needs to immediately implement:

3. Hour long meet-and-greets before and after each show, so the fans can hang out with the band, including Neil.

sarcasm.gif

Would this be enough? Probably not. confused13.gif

What actually could work as a one or two off thang would be a "Let Them Eat Soup" Contest wherein a fan can have a sit down meal with the boys be it before or after a gig (whenever it is they eat that damn soup). All the die-hards would be creaming over this.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 2 2010, 06:05 PM)
What actually could work as a one or two off thang would be a "Let Them Eat Soup" Contest wherein a fan can have a sit down meal with the boys be it before or after a gig (whenever it is they eat that damn soup). All the die-hards would be creaming over this.

Cream of mushroom or cream of broccoli? confused13.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Mar 3 2010, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Mar 2 2010, 06:05 PM)
What actually could work as a one or two off thang would be a "Let Them Eat Soup" Contest wherein a fan can have a sit down meal with the boys be it before or after a gig (whenever it is they eat that damn soup).  All the die-hards would be creaming over this.

Cream of mushroom or cream of broccoli? confused13.gif

exactly yes.gif no.gif confused13.gif trink38.gif

I dunno-

I feel like when the doors are open Rush have been more accessible then I would ever have expected them to be-if you told me 10 years ago that there would be the type of daily photo and video updating during a tour that Rush.com has offered recently I would have fallen off my chair.

The key to the whole thing is that they like to WORK in secrecy. They always have, and most of their recording career didn't take place in the instant gratification/youtube/twitter/24-7 world.

Come on-Neil is posting pictures of his own kitchen on a website! In his own house! We saw a baby picture taken at the hospital! Neil, the recluse of the bunch, is the most visible of the three!

I think if you look how they were treated in the 70s among the critics and radio, you can understand their desire to keep it low key. They know who their fan base is. They have always been honest with their music, and never had to kiss the music industries ass to maintain their popularity. I like their " secretive" ways.

This article is a good example of what im talking about. Annoys the shit out of me when Rush is compared to these other bands. And who the fu**k are Red Rider?

http://www.racerrecords.com/Styx/faceless.html

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Mar 4 2010, 05:45 AM)
I think if you look how they were treated in the 70s among the critics and radio, you can understand their desire to keep it low key. They know who their fan base is. They have always been honest with their music, and never had to kiss the music industries ass to maintain their popularity. I like their " secretive" ways.

goodpost.gif

I will add that that is a badass late 80's Ludwig (Super Classic?) in your av... smile.gif

Archived