RIP Boner

Rushman14

sad.gif

(CNN) -- Actor Andrew Koenig, missing since February 14, was found dead in Vancouver, British Colombia, Thursday, a source close to the family told CNN.

The body of the former "Growing Pains" star was found in a park, according to the source, who spoke to Koenig's father after Koenig was informed of the discovery.

The source asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.

Koenig, 41, was reported missing by his parents after he did not board a flight to Los Angeles from Vancouver last week.

Vancouver police confirmed a body was found in Stanley Park around noon Thursday, but said only that it was "believed to be that of Andrew Koenig."

A police news conference, with his parents expected to attend, was set for 5 p.m. local time (8 p.m. ET) in the park to discuss the case.

Walter Koenig -- himself an actor, known for his role as Pavel Chekov in the "Star Trek" series -- flew to Vancouver with his wife, Judy, on Tuesday to help with the search.

The Koenigs said they received a letter from him last week in which their son wrote in a "despondent tone."

He had stopped taking medication for depression about a year ago, his father said.

Unknown to his parents at the time, Andrew Koenig sold or gave away many of his possessions and moved out of his apartment in Venice, California, before traveling to Canada, the family said.

Koenig fell in love with Vancouver in 1988 when he first visited to film an episode of the TV show "21 Jump Street," his father said.

Koenig appeared in 25 episodes of "Growing Pains" from 1985 to 1989, playing Richard "Boner" Stabone, according to a filmography posted on the Internet Movie Database Web site. He also appeared in episodes of several other television shows.

He is described as "a gifted and passionate multitalented young man" on his father's Web site.

He performed at The Improv and had roles in movies that included "NonSeNse," "InAlienable," "The Theory of Everything" and "Batman: Dead End." He also acted on television in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine," "G.I. Joe," "My Two Dads," "21 Jump Street," "My Sister Sam" and "Adam-12," the Web site said, and edited, directed, produced and wrote a number of films.

Koenig was an activist interested in many causes, his father's Web site says. He was arrested at the Rose Bowl in 2008 while protesting U.S. involvement in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games in China. He opposed U.S. participation because of China's support for a repressive regime in Myanmar, also known as Burma, the Web site says.

Very sad. I didnt watch Growing pains much, but knew the face when i saw him. Deppresion sucks. By all accounts, he was a stand up dude.

R.I.P

Edited by Xanadoood

Ahhh bless sad.gif Am a big Star Trek fan and also watched Growing pains in the 80's. Andrew was a good person, a bit too sensitive for this world though. Am sad for his family rose.gif

That's really too bad. sad.gif

Depression can be a bitch; I've had personal experience with it, and I wouldn't wish it on even my worst enemy.

I remember the young actor from his role as "Boner," but didn't know he was Walter Koenig's son.

I've been watching this thing unfold on an entertainment website I visit. It was heart-breaking to watch the news cast of his parents begging that he just let them know he was alive and ok.

I just watched Dad talking about finding his son and how people with depression should not think they are alone.

Very sad. sad.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Feb 26 2010, 08:33 AM)
Sure was a pretty "risque" character name for such a family show in those days...

I know!! What in the world...

I heard an interview this morning on the radio where someone was explaining that ABC apparently had plans to do a, "Boner" spinoff but Andrew declined because he didn't want to be known throughout Hollywood as that, "Boner" guy. He had bigger and better plans which I guess never happened which they're saying led to his depression.

R.I.P. Andrew. I was following the story since the beginning and when I read that he was selling and giving away his possessions back in L.A. I began suspecting the worse. It is a classic sign of an impending suicide or attempted suicide.

Sad to see his dad make the announcement at the press conference but I commend him very much for encouraging suicidal people out there to reach out and talk to somebody...too bad his son did not make that decision himself. sad.gif rose.gif

I also honestly did not know Andrew was Chekov's son until this story began either.

Edited by Test4VitalSigns

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 26 2010, 03:40 PM)
when I read that he was selling and giving away his possessions back in L.A. I began suspecting the worse. It is a classic sign of an impending suicide or attempted suicide.

Yup. And they'll often give away something(s) of great personal value.

I was sad about this for several hours until I went to bed. From what his father said a week before the discovery, I knew Andrew was severely depressed. I don't know how he died, but my brother-in-law did something similar when he was separating from my sister many years ago.

It's always sad when someone dies, no matter how famous or how ordinary the person may be. I hope he is in a better place. My heart goes out to his mom & dad. A parent should never have to bury his child. It should be the other way around