The Official 2010 "I Hate VD" Thread

Mara

It's a week away. I've always hated it and can completely understand why men dread it. God forbid a guy fall short in his selection of gifts and/or cards, and for so many women it's a one-up thing. And boy, way to make single people feel like complete losers.

Cupid can cram his arrows up his fudge tunnel. The only - the only - positive thing about VD is the half-price chocolate and heart-shaped baked goods on 2/15.

(FWIW, I am happily married. We just don't bother, not since the year we both missed it with flu).

Edit: If you happen to love the damn day and those nasty-tasting candy hearts, go start a "Love Valentine's" thread. Don't wanna hear about it here!

Edited by Mara

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 7 2010, 09:36 PM)
It's a week away. I've always hated it and can completely understand why men dread it. God forbid a guy fall short in his selection of gifts and/or cards, and for so many women it's a one-up thing. And boy, way to make single people feel like complete losers.
Cupid can cram his arrows up his fudge tunnel.

Yeah, Valentine's Day is nuthin' but shite, and I've hated it for years, even when I was with someone... angry.gif

i'm convinced that v-day was invented by Hallmark and the florists union. This is my first v-day not as a free man (other relationships have thankfully fallen at more convenient times throughout the year). I can still laugh at all the pathetic couples getting all disgusting and falling into corporate traps, the only difference is that i'll be at least partially a hypocrite this time, but i hardly care about that. But i don't think my views on the "holiday" in general will ever change -- in the past my problem has not been that i was "lonely" (i don't feel loneliness), but rather that the whole thing is just completely silly. If anything it's worse for someone in a relationship because it throws a completely unnecessary responsibility at them.

Yeah VD is just bad news... Lonely people just get even more depressed, and I don't think it's necessary for couples either - all it does is stress them. If you love each other you don't need some dumb day in February to confirm it.

eh.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 7 2010, 11:05 PM)
Its not all that bad guy's. Just depends on how and who you celebrate it with! heart.gif biggrin.gif

Agreed........I dont get all the complaining either.....If you love someone enough, get them a little gift, jeez.......not that big of a deal is it? I get my lovely wife something every year because she deserves it!

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 7 2010, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 8 2010, 12:05 AM)
Its not all that bad guy's. Just depends on how and who you celebrate it with!  heart.gif biggrin.gif

A hooker and a bag of weed ?

ummm. if that's what one wants to do! tongue.gif

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Feb 7 2010, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 7 2010, 11:05 PM)
Its not all that bad guy's. Just depends on how and who you celebrate it with!  heart.gif biggrin.gif

Agreed........I dont get all the complaining either.....If you love someone enough, get them a little gift, jeez.......not that big of a deal is it? I get my lovely wife something every year because she deserves it!

goodpost.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 8 2010, 12:25 AM)

Giddy up laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 7 2010, 05:36 PM)
It's a week away.  I've always hated it and can completely understand why men dread it.  God forbid a guy fall short in his selection of gifts and/or cards,  and for so many women it's a one-up thing.  And boy, way to make single people feel like complete losers. 
Cupid can cram his arrows up his fudge tunnel.  The only - the only - positive thing about VD is the half-price chocolate and heart-shaped baked goods on 2/15.

(FWIW, I am happily married.  We just don't bother, not since the year we both missed it with flu).

Edit:  If you happen to love the damn day and those nasty-tasting candy hearts, go start a "Love Valentine's" thread.  Don't wanna hear about it here!

Maybe if you were not sick and had some real chocolate. Things would have turned out better tongue.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 7 2010, 08:26 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 8 2010, 12:25 AM)

Giddy up laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You guys are a bunch of crabby sons of bitches! wink.gif

Out here VD is basically broken into 2 days: VD--only the females buy and do shit for the males; and White Day (on March 14th)--where the males buy and do shit for the females. Basically if the dude likes the girl then his gift should be double the price of the shit he got on VD. If he wants to be nice but not overly nice then he'll buy something of about equal value. If he doesn't like her then he doesn't do or buy them shit at all. That's a lot of shit!!!!

Example: Last year I got 14 boxes of chocolates on VD (1 of those from the gf [of course she got me other goodies too], the other 13 were from female friends or adult students that I teach). That meant, I shelled out for 14 boxes of chocolates a month later.

QUOTE (KennethRush @ Feb 8 2010, 01:25 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 7 2010, 09:36 PM)
Edit:  If you happen to love the damn day and those nasty-tasting candy hearts, go start a "Love Valentine's" thread.  Don't wanna hear about it here!

*ahem*

Thank you.

It seems that men have way more pressure on them from women than the other way around. She's expecting a proposal? And that's not on your agenda? Uh-oh.

She expects a dozen roses to be delivered to her at work so she can show off to her coworkers, followed by a nice evening out at a trendy restaurant? And you get her a gift box of lingerie (or almost worse, a stuffed animal) and make meatloaf and mashed potatoes for a nice evening in? Oh, man, you are so f**k'd. (Or not, in a literal sense).

Edited by Mara

It is a Hallmark holiday. Another reason to spend money you Don't have. I will be taking my wife out for dinner , just to get away for a little while

This will be my 7th Anniversary of kicking out that tradition, wink.gif so I will instead donate $50.00 each to the 2010 Decadent Concert Fund and the Buy Another Guitar (that I don't really need) Fund. tongue.gif ... heartless one that I have become. ph34r.gif Good luck dodging those "Little Arrows"

Regards, Leapy Lee

Edited by Tinwoodsman

Valentine's Day actually started way back before Hallmark was a company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentine%27s_Day

I don't get into it at all either. Has anyone seen the Vermont Teddy Bear commercial??? I have been posting everywhere for men to please not get that for your SO. No female over the age of 12 wants one. Also I got an email from SkyMall(Love that place by the way) for gold dipped roses. Again no. No grown woman wants an ugly ass gold dipped rose.

I keep thinking of all these men seeing these ads and thinking ohhh this year she is going to be so happy, and their SO being so disappointed.

I might be in the minority but I'd rather my husband did the laundry, mopped the kitchen or did some other task like that for me. Or if he really feels like I need a gift, get some of my posters framed for me biggrin.gif

I think what we're going to do this year is go out for dinner as a family Friday night, or maybe lunch Saturday. No way I'll go out to eat on Sunday or we'll be waiting forever. Then we get home we're going to dip strawberries and maybe some other goodies in chocolate. I was even thinking about picking up BioShock 2 so we'll sit at home and watch each other play that.

I'm fortunate that I have a wife who's a bit non-traditional. When we first started dating seriously we learned that neither one of us is big on chocolates and flowers are nice, but we think they're a waste since they don't last. So we decided that we'd just buy each other a small gift ($25 dollar limit) every year. I usually get her a CD or two (because there's always at least one new one out that she wants) and a card, and she likes to get me cool gadgets because I'm a huge gadget nut. Last year she got me a screwdriver with changeable bits and a built-in light and despite of the fact that I have umpteen thousand different screwdrivers it's the one I use the most.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 8 2010, 09:53 AM)
I'm fortunate that I have a wife who's a bit non-traditional. When we first started dating seriously we learned that neither one of us is big on chocolates and flowers are nice, but we think they're a waste since they don't last. So we decided that we'd just buy each other a small gift ($25 dollar limit) every year. I usually get her a CD or two (because there's always at least one new one out that she wants) and a card, and she likes to get me cool gadgets because I'm a huge gadget nut. Last year she got me a screwdriver with changeable bits and a built-in light and despite of the fact that I have umpteen thousand different screwdrivers it's the one I use the most.

A screwdriver with a light? *sound of Mara's ears perking up in interest*