Se7en

Blenderhead

I just watched this movie a few days ago. I had seen it before, but I was only a little kid when it came out, so I didn't remember finding too much enjoyment in it. However, after seeing it again, I think it may be one of my favorite movies ever. The acting is superb, the story is interesting, and the ending is so horrifyingly perfect.

I'm sure some (probably most) of you have seen this movie. If so, what are your thoughts? If you haven't seen this, you are missing out on one of the suspense genre's finest films. 1287.gif

It's an amazing movie...Brad Pitt is excellent, and don't even get me started on Kevin Spacey.

But first, I have to address the fact that you were a little kid in.. *Googles...* 1995?

I graduated from college that year.

old.gif

Now, where's my walker and my Geritol? *wanders off*

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 5 2010, 04:30 PM)
It's an amazing movie...Brad Pitt is excellent, and don't even get me started on Kevin Spacey.

But first, I have to address the fact that you were a little kid in.. *Googles...* 1995?

old.gif

Yeah, I was going to comment on how amazing Kevin Spacey's performance was. Definitely in the top 5 best villain's list for me—maybe number 1.

Well, 1995 I would've been 6. I have this problem where I always think it is still the year 2000 and everything revolves around that date. Can't believe it's been ten years since then. I'm starting to feel old too. laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 5 2010, 03:30 PM)

old.gif

That's what I was gonna say, it's practically a new film, blender must be about 12 years old now...

laugh.gif

95 was a good year for three reasons: "Usual Suspects", "Heat" & "Se7en"

The latter is an amazing film from start to finish. You knew this film was going to be weird right from those amazing opening credits and industrial soundtrack.

All three leads were excellent, along with some great support. But Spacey gets the plaudits for me; absolutely mind-boggling experience watching him and listening to his reasoning.

And as for the ending.... OMG, I didn't see that coming!!

Edited by Sonatine

QUOTE (hunter @ Feb 6 2010, 08:02 AM)
What's in the box!?

Brad Pitt saying this line and acting out this scene was particularly dreadful. I'm sure I'm one of the few that think it, but to me he'll always be one of the most overrated actors in Hollywood (read as: NO, I'm not saying he's even near one of the worst...just overrated is all).

Spacey...awesome, as scheduled new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 6 2010, 03:41 AM)
QUOTE (hunter @ Feb 6 2010, 08:02 AM)
What's in the box!?

Brad Pitt saying this line and acting out this scene was particularly dreadful. I'm sure I'm one of the few that think it, but to me he'll always be one of the most overrated actors in Hollywood (read as: NO, I'm not saying he's even near one of the worst...just overrated is all).

Spacey...awesome, as scheduled new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Interesting story about the ending....don't know if you all have heard it or not.

The producers thought originally it was not going to work out well and wanted the ending changed to be a race to save Tracy's life....Pitt stated if they changed the ending he refused to do the rest of the movie.

Currently this is #26 out of the top 250 on IMDB.com

It is so wierd that this topic came up. I rented this 3 days ago and watched it to check out the music score a friend had brought up in a conversation recently. Yes - this movie is really good. I love how they used weather to intensify the movie. In every scene, other than the very last scene, there was a downpour of rain. Suddenly (at the moment of clarity), it clears up at the end. This was a brilliantly made and written movie.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Feb 7 2010, 08:29 PM)
It is so wierd that this topic came up. I rented this 3 days ago and watched it to check out the music score a friend had brought up in a conversation recently. Yes - this movie is really good. I love how they used weather to intensify the movie. In every scene, other than the very last scene, there was a downpour of rain. Suddenly (at the moment of clarity), it clears up at the end. This was a brilliantly made and written movie.

What was your opinion of the score? It was hardly a music score at all, at least not in the traditional sense. It was almost like the entire orchestra took on a percussion role with lots of low-register slams and ominous-sounding discordant swells. It was mostly creepy atmosphere, almost no music. I wonder if any of the instruments played a note higher than Middle C. laugh.gif

Great movie IMO.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:16 PM)

What was your opinion of the score? It was hardly a music score at all, at least not in the traditional sense. It was almost like the entire orchestra took on a percussion role with lots of low-register slams and ominous-sounding discordant swells. It was mostly creepy atmosphere, almost no music. I wonder if any of the instruments played a note higher than Middle C. laugh.gif

I thought the score was perfect for the movie. It was a "less is more" approach. Lots of sound effects, low swells, and dark string motifs. It wasn't overbearing either, which many scores in the horror genre tend to be. I thought it was quite good and complimented the film very well.

QUOTE (Cowtothesky @ Feb 7 2010, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:16 PM)

I thought the score was perfect for the movie. It was a "less is more" approach. Lots of sound effects, low swells, and dark string motifs. It wasn't overbearing either, which many scores in the horror genre tend to be. I thought it was quite good and complimented the film very well.

Agreed. I thought it was perfect. Even though it was largely atmosphere and effects, I imagine writing a score like that is not as easy as one might think.

This is one of my favorite movies. The look, mood and sound design were like nothing that came before it, and in its wake followed a slew of creepy crime films ("The Bone Collector," "Fallen," et al), all trying to match the dark mood and "holy shit"-type ending of "Seven," but falling short.

Great movie and the Only time i can stomach a Brad Pitt movie