Best guitarist in The Yardbirds

Earthshine

Which one and why?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one and why?

• Jeff Beck
    • Eric Clapton
    • Jimmy Page

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 28 2009, 09:14 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 28 2009, 08:07 PM)
Probably Jeff Beck, since both Clapton and Page ripped him off!

How so? I thought they were all so different from each other.

I dunno. Beck just seems so much more versatile than Clapton and Page. I remember reading that Page "ripped" off some things Beck did with The Yardbirds and used it in Zeppelin. I can't be 100% confident I'm right and I don't have the energy or inclination to look it up.

QUOTE (raygun47 @ Dec 29 2009, 12:34 AM)
I'm a bigger fan of Page...but I may go Beck, Page, Clapton. I like Beck a lot too...but my judgement is clouded by my love for Page. I like Clapton in Blind Faith and Cream...but not a fan of the solo material. Maybe I should give it another chance.

I agree. I voted for Page, because I think he is much more versatile than Beck. Beck is great and is a close second. Clapton was great in Cream and Blind Faith. His solo stuff is okay. But I think he is a very lazy guitarist and musician. He is touring with Beck for some gigs which I think will be a joke because Beck will run circles around him even if it is non-intentional.

Hard to pick one hear. Clapton is so smooth, Beck's the most soulful, and Page is the most interesting to me.

I've listen to Page's music more than the others, so I'll give him the nod.

I honestly can't pick one. Maybe Page cause I was, and still am, such a massive LZ fan. Beck next, then Clapton. All are great, but I'm kinda biased towards Page & Beck.

Although I am a High Priest of The Church of Pagey, it has to be Beck.

He was the best guitarist in the Yardbirds.

And today, he's a much tastier player than the other 2. In fact, he's playing better than ever. Slowhand is going through the motions, and Jimmy is as sloppy as f*ck(that's why I love him), but Beck is still on FIRE!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 31 2009, 11:03 PM)

And today, he's a much tastier player than the other 2. In fact, he's playing better than ever. Slowhand is going through the motions, and Jimmy is as sloppy as f*ck(that's why I love him), but Beck is still on FIRE!

I can't argue with that. He's been playing his ass off the past few years. I get to see him twice in April. Firstly at a great small club in Brisbane, than at the Byron Bay Blues Festival, along with Buddy Guy, Joe Bonamassa and Al Di Meola. 2010 is shaping up as a much better live year for me than 2009.

I think Jeff Beck has one of the most distinctive guitar sounds in the world. Just his tone, the way he bends the notes and his use of the whammy bar...it's unmistakable. He really makes that guitar sound alive...like a human voice.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Dec 31 2009, 08:03 AM)

yes.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 3 2010, 10:19 PM)
1. Beck. 1.a. Page. 2. Clapton.

yes.gif

Beck is currently the best of the 3, and has been for some time. Hes still creating great albums and rips it up live.

Awesome! I wrote a thread just like this one many months ago!

Glad to see that Jeff Beck still gets the proper love.

Yeah, I remember now. I had just seen Jeff Beck live at The Fox in Oakland last year and I wrote that thread.

Jeff Beck blows them all away.

Signed,

"There And Back"

I am going to see the Clapton/Beck tour at M.S.G. in feb . Should be damn good .

Archived