Lord of the Rings coming to Blu-Ray in April

The Owl

Very Cool............. but I've been waiting for this for 2 years now....

But I think I am going to hold out on the Extended versions (which I have already on standard DVD) but still.........LOTR is finally coming to blu-ray

And we're rapidly approaching the Tenth Anniversary release of FOTR (Jeez, can it really be 10 years!!!), so expect a Special Anniversary Edition DVD and/or BR in the next year or so. Maybe

QUOTE (Sonatine @ Dec 15 2009, 01:31 AM)
And we're rapidly approaching the Tenth Anniversary release of FOTR (Jeez, can it really be 10 years!!!), so expect a Special Anniversary Edition DVD and/or BR in the next year or so. Maybe

FOTR- Dec 2001

TT- Dec 2002

ROTK- Dec- 2003

It's only been 8 years so far! biggrin.gif

But I don't think they'll release an anniversary edition if they are JUST NOW getting the films onto blu-ray

The press release said that the extended editions are not coming out on blu-ray until some time later.... If the theatrical editions are coming out in April, I would think the extended edition will come out on blu-ray around next holiday.......

I doubt they will come out with a whole new edition only a year later.

Yeah I knew we were only 8 years in with FOTR, but I've heard rumours on or two LOTR forums that either PJ or New Line are going to release a 10th Anniversary DVD of FTR on or around 2011, with additional scenes and other extras.

I think the release will coincide with "The Hobbit, Pt 1" which is due to be released on the big screen December 2011.

We shall see smile.gif

common001.gif common001.gif

I'm excited because my wife said we can get a new big screen when LOTR comes out in blue ray because it's her favorite- My current tv uses DVI and not HDMI - Just wish it would come out before the Superbowl, oh well -

I actually just finished rewatching the extened versions of the films, over the past week, including ALL the special features.. (24+ hours of material)

as I said, I am passing on the blu-rays for now.... I will be patient and wait for the extened editons to come out on bluray... and hopefully the next time I watch these films it will be in full lovley 1080p

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 15 2009, 10:38 AM)
common001.gif  common001.gif

I'm excited because my wife said we can get a new big screen when LOTR comes out in blue ray because it's her favorite- My current tv uses DVI and not HDMI - Just wish it would come out before the Superbowl,  oh well -

You can buy DVI to HDMI cables just about anywhere.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 31 2009, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (alphseeker @ Dec 15 2009, 10:38 AM)
common001.gif  common001.gif

I'm excited because my wife said we can get a new big screen when LOTR comes out in blue ray because it's her favorite- My current tv uses DVI and not HDMI - Just wish it would come out before the Superbowl,  oh well -

You can buy DVI to HDMI cables just about anywhere.

yeah but my wife doesn't know that biggrin.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 31 2009, 12:15 AM)
I actually just finished rewatching the extened versions of the films, over the past week, including ALL the special features.. (24+ hours of material)

as I said, I am passing on the blu-rays for now.... I will be patient and wait for the extened editons to come out on bluray... and hopefully the next time I watch these films it will be in full lovley 1080p

I have the extended ones a well, and I agree.....no need to hurry. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 1 2010, 01:06 AM)
I'll be first in line to buy the extended box set when it comes out. But who even watches the theatrical versions anymore?

To be honest, I have not seen the theatrical versions since seeing them in the Theaters........ I bought the extended version when they were first release.... and to be honest I cannot fully remember what scenes were added into the extended editions......... I am so used to them by now.

QUOTE (Storm Shadow @ Dec 31 2009, 06:57 AM)
I'm buying the theatrical set. They're already long enough for me.

but the extendo versions are so much better.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jan 5 2010, 11:27 AM)

They really are, but you have to really love the movies/stories to sit through them, as they're long.

It's SO much better than deleted scenes or merely "bonus features" as they are fully realized scenes that Peter Jackson filmed always meaning to put them into an extended edition. While most of the extra scenes aren't absolutely essential to the plot (obviously), they really fill in the story and add a lot of elements from the books that had to be jettisoned to fit into an already 3 hour movie. It adds a lot more color, insight and depth than the theatrical releases.

It's what the Harry Potter movies could have been if they didn't just make reader's digest versions of the books. For serious LOTR fans, you owe it to yourself to see the extended versions.

IMHO...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 01:33 PM)

They really are, but you have to really love the movies/stories to sit through them, as they're long.

It's SO much better than deleted scenes or merely "bonus features" as they are fully realized scenes that Peter Jackson filmed always meaning to put them into an extended edition. While most of the extra scenes aren't absolutely essential to the plot (obviously), they really fill in the story and add a lot of elements from the books that had to be jettisoned to fit into an already 3 hour movie. It adds a lot more color, insight and depth than the theatrical releases.

It's what the Harry Potter movies could have been if they didn't just make reader's digest versions of the books. For serious LOTR fans, you owe it to yourself to see the extended versions.

IMHO...

Yet still no Tom Bombadil/Barrow wights. b_sigh.gif

I always wondered why that portion of the story never even made it in the extended versions.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 5 2010, 11:54 AM)

IMHO...

I always wondered why that portion of the story never even made it in the extended versions.

Tom Bombadil was always to me the most obvious omission, but then again, he wasn't exactly my favorite character in the books either.

And really, he added nothing to the plot other than a slight detour IMHO...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 02:04 PM)
Tom Bombadil was always to me the most obvious omission, but then again, he wasn't exactly my favorite character in the books either.

True, but that "detour" took between 5-10% of the entire trilogy, if you're counting pages.

The other thing that bugged me a little was the rewriting and subsequent elimination of "Sharky".

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 01:04 PM)

IMHO...

Then again the Tom Bombadil character was not completely forsaken in the film........while he was cut, many of the elements of Tom Bombadil went into Treebeard's character in the movie.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jan 5 2010, 02:12 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 5 2010, 01:04 PM)

IMHO...

Then again the Tom Bombadil character was not completely forsaken in the film........while he was cut, many of the elements of Tom Bombadil went into Treebeard's character in the movie.

I remember before the 2nd movie came out wondering how on EARTH they were going to include Treebeard and the Ents. I thought it would have been impossible to film. Somehow they pulled it off...