The Kinks

Xanadoood

I was listening to Give the people what they Want this morning, from '81, and i also have Low Budget. I always felt they were a very under appreciated band from the 60s scene. Very edgy with some early hard rock riffs, and quirky lyrics.

Whats the opinion of this classic british band?

Brilliant band, sadly always in 4th place after the Beatles, Stones and Who. Ray Davies, in his prime, was the one of the best chroniclers of the "English condition" out there.

Fav album: The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society

Fav song: Celluloid Heroes or Victoria

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw
  • Like 1

Great band! Low Budget is also a personal favorite. The last great Kinks album, IMO. One for the Road is a great live album from the same era.

Face to Face through Lola versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One are among the very best albums in rock music.

Ray Davies is a master songwriter, no doubt about it.

Some fave Kinks songs:

"Picture Book"

"Waterloo Sunset"

"Afternoon Tea"

"Sweet Lady Genevieve"

"20th Century Man"

"Celluloid Heroes"

"Big Sky"

so many more...

the kinks epitomise the english music scene of the sixties,and there music still holds up today.

i can only think of one band that sum up the sixties "beat scene" more than the kinks and ofcourse that is the beatles.

its easy to forget how many great hits they had smile.gif

"A little bit of abuse" ,off of Give the people, is the best commentary on spousal abuse ever.

And " Better Things" off of the same album always puts me in a good mood. Very uplifting song.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 22 2009, 03:04 PM)
"A little bit of abuse" ,off of Give the people, is the best commentary on spousal abuse ever.

And " Better Things" off of the same album always puts me in a good mood. Very uplifting song.

Davies can tap into a wide range of human emotions. He's a great storyteller.

Yes Yes & Yes

Ray was just on late night w/letterman last week

My brother made a road trip CD with Rock -n- Roll Fantasy for our trip to Vegas 10 day ago

Saw the Kinks with my brother in 1983, front row center w/QuarterFlash opening

Been a fan all along . . . . . . . .

Weren't the Kinks the first band to use "distortion" in their music? I think they are in the argument when you talk about the most underrated bands in rock, when you look at everything they have contributed. "You Really Got Me" and "Lola" are two of the all time classics from the 60s.

My two favorite tunes from the Kinks are "Living On a Thin Line" and "Destroyer". 1022.gif

Fun band with some real good tunes

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Nov 22 2009, 11:48 AM)
Brilliant band, sadly always in 4th place after the Beatles, Stones and Who. Ray Davies, in his prime, was the one of the best chroniclers of the "English condition" out there.

Considering the talent level involved is 4th place really that bad?

• Like 2