How to become a rush roadie..

red sector animal

Sorry if this has been asked a million times....

I figure now would be a good time to start getting info since I probably have over a year to wait for another tour (>ducks).

Anyone know a company to contact? Maybe Rush SRO in toronto?

I'm totally serious. I have everything going for me to be a great roadie, and follow them all across the nation. I have some time to get some experience under my belt as well, doing some setup for smaller bands in the meantime.

It's just a matter of banging down the right doors...

Hope I can get a chance...

I did find another post where a dude got to roadie for them for a day.

I can't help you as far as a contact, but you might want to consider this:

I don't imagine that roadie=easy access to Alex, Geddy, and Neil. The guys you see featured in the short interview clips are usually crew who have been with them for years.

But if you just want to do it for the "coolness factor" of having been part of a Rush road crew, go for it! I imagine it's probably a pretty good way to stash away some serious cash as well. Everything is paid for, they provide all the transportation, so you could conceivably save up a few months' worth of paychecks, easy.

Good luck.

hmmm...interesting topic.Keep in mind that roadies work hard and have a lot of responsibility.If you are doing it just to get close to your heros you should think again.However it's a great way to earn money and see the world.Roadies get a decent paycheck and a daily per diem,so you could bank a lot of cash.And from my understanding roadie gigs are usually gotten from word of mouth.Knowing someone in the biz is a huge plus.Not sur sure SRO management would help you but hey they might point you in the right direction.Good luck and keep us updated.

Im thinking with an established band like Rush, that being a roadie would be almost impossible. I think most of the roadies have been with them for years. Good luck though.

Personally I think being a roadie would big time suck.

Humping around heavy gear, taking orders, getting yelled at, eating crappy food, cleaning up after everyone else and living on a bus for weeks on end ain't as glamorous as it seems.

Everybody's idea of fun is different I suppose.

Follow Neil everywhere until he gives you a job

I think it would be helpful to have solid skills and experience in one or two specialties, rather than applying just as a general "errand boy" and extra pair of hands. For example, they probably have a number of journeyman electricians on the crew.

I have to disagree that it would be a great way to see the world. They don't stay anywhere for more than 12-18 hours and it's a tremendous amount of work. No time to sightsee.

I agree, most big acts don't have a huge team touring with them, I do a lot of work at the local stadium here, they have their team, i think the biggest is 10 or 15 that i've worked with (for deep purple) and generally those guys have been with them for a long time and are the bosses of their respective areas (sound, light, stage setup, equipment). Most of the manual labour (unpacking, packing up, transport) is taken care of by a local crew. The best way is to find out whether it's the venue or the tour organiser that does the local hiring, and get into contact with them. That way you can get at least 1 or 2 days working for that band. Sometimes you get some sweet 'local crew' swag that you can't get in stores!

QUOTE (ElderberryRyan @ Nov 22 2009, 12:46 PM)
I agree, most big acts don't have a huge team touring with them, I do a lot of work at the local stadium here, they have their team, i think the biggest is 10 or 15 that i've worked with (for deep purple) and generally those guys have been with them for a long time and are the bosses of their respective areas (sound, light, stage setup, equipment). Most of the manual labour (unpacking, packing up, transport) is taken care of by a local crew. The best way is to find out whether it's the venue or the tour organiser that does the local hiring, and get into contact with them. That way you can get at least 1 or 2 days working for that band. Sometimes you get some sweet 'local crew' swag that you can't get in stores!

And "local crew" = union. You can't just sign up for a few days.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 22 2009, 11:08 AM)

Humping around heavy gear, taking orders, getting yelled at, eating crappy food, cleaning up after everyone else and living on a bus for weeks on end ain't as glamorous as it seems.

Exactly. Touring is definitely NOT all you think it would be. It's hard, hot, monotonous work. Long periods away from family & friends and unless you're at the top of the ladder, there is no real interaction with musicians. The physical & emotional tolls far outweigh the "glam" factor. I know for a fact that 2/3 of the way through the S&A tour, everyone was more than ready for it to be over - and I mean, EVERYONE.

Regarding the local crew thing, it's not likely that you'd be able to just "sign up" for that. Unless you're already in the local union, it's just not going to happen.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Nov 22 2009, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Nov 22 2009, 11:15 AM)
Follow Neil  everywhere until he gives you a job

Or a restraining order.

laugh.gif

I snuck in through Neil's bedroom window, woke him up and asked him for a job. It didn't work out so good..... sad.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 22 2009, 11:08 AM)

sounds like basic training for the most part. haha

QUOTE (Barchetta82 @ Nov 23 2009, 03:38 PM)

I snuck in through Neil's bedroom window, woke him up and asked him for a job. It didn't work out so good..... sad.gif

You crawled into his room and asked him for a 'job'? What kind of 'job'? wink.gif LOL

If anyone has seen the doc series for an HD channel, you'd know they run a lean team and rely heavily on arena staff to do a lot of the grunt work. I would think doing this for a while for whomever happens to visit your town would be a good way to build your CV before applying for a job as roadie.

Sure most of their crew have been with them for years, but you gotta start somewhere and I would think many will have or will be retiring from the road... it's a physical, arduous job, and not something many 50 year olds can physically hack, day in, day out for months and months.

Go for it and good luck.

I say pick up a guitar and start your own band.

Screw that "being a roadie shit"..........

The Roadie gig is definately not for everyone and you need some kind of background. I got lucky back in the late 80's. Was going to school in Denver. The production manager for a touring artist gave a quick speech to our Audio Production class. (I think his name is Mike Noctagal. I'm sure I killed the spelling on that.) He invited a couple of us to come down the next day and help with load in and set up. Ended up staying with the tour til the end. Lots of long days, heavy lifting and heights if you do the rigging. Had a great time but living on a bus with 7 other guys for 6 months takes some dedication. I did save enough money to pay for the rest of my schooling so not all was bad.

The guy above was putting together something called the Tour Support Network for those that were in the field. It might still be out there. Do a google search and check it out.

Good luck.

Try this website http://roadiejobs.ning.com/profile/MichaelNachtigal.

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 23 2009, 07:39 PM)

yes.gif

This is actually an interesting topic. How does one become a roadie? Or get picked to be the sound dude for any band? The wiring person? I mean, these jobs aren't just on monster.com or anything.

Actually, I wonder this about a lot of jobs...like food taste tester for Jello or something. Whodddha thunk!

Good luck...carry on..

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Nov 23 2009, 08:54 PM)
This is actually an interesting topic. How does one become a roadie? Or get picked to be the sound dude for any band? The wiring person? I mean, these jobs aren't just on monster.com or anything.

Actually, I wonder this about a lot of jobs...like food taste tester for Jello or something. Whodddha thunk!

Good luck...carry on..

I'd love to be a Jello taste tester

I wish you luck, but I think with Rush, you need a lot of previous experience with other bands and tons of references. I can guarantee you that they do not want "fans" as roadies. You would probably have to be interviewed by the band to see if you pass the "screening test" (after others have screened you). Any signs of being "starstruck" and you will be out of the door.

Rush has a reputation for showing longtime roadies the door:

Michael Hirsch

Ian Grandy

Larry Allen

There are others that I can't remember at the moment. I don't think I would want to work for them. I am sure working for them is not always "fun".

Good luck! 2.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Nov 24 2009, 12:39 AM)

goodpost.gif trink39.gif

I'd never want to be a roadie... My band could do with one or two though... wink.gif tongue.gif

Unfortunately, I would say that if you are needing to ask about this on an internet forum, then you have no chance at all I'm afraid.

These things tend to be a closed shop and it's very much "jobs for the boys".

A friend of mine was a roadie for Nirvana, but that was only because he was at school with Kurt Cobain and knew him personally....

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Nov 24 2009, 07:02 AM)
I wish you luck, but I think with Rush, you need a lot of previous experience with other bands and tons of references. I can guarantee you that they do not want "fans" as roadies. You would probably have to be interviewed by the band to see if you pass the "screening test" (after others have screened you). Any signs of being "starstruck" and you will be out of the door.

Rush has a reputation for showing longtime roadies the door:

Michael Hirsch
Ian Grandy
Larry Allen

There are others that I can't remember at the moment. I don't think I would want to work for them. I am sure working for them is not always "fun".

Good luck! 2.gif

Ditto on the "fun" aspect. You might end up seeing a side of them you really wish you hadn't.

Archived