By-Tor & The Snow Dog vs Necromancer

Rushman14

Which is the better epic featuring our favorite Prince O Darkness  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better epic featuring our favorite Prince O Darkness

• By-Tor & The Snow Dog
    • Necromancer
    • I choose not to decide

Love em both, but By-Tor kicks my ass, especially the ATWAS version. Though part II of The Necromancer "Under The Shadow" rules.

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/21275255.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By-tor and the Snowdog DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it when Geddy goes wooooooo YEAHHHHHH!!!! before Alex and Geddy's blistering "Of the Battle"

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Nov 16 2009, 10:21 PM)
By-tor and the Snowdog DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it when Geddy goes wooooooo YEAHHHHHH!!!! before Alex and Geddy's blistering "Of the Battle"

+1 yes.gif

Apples and Oranges....Two completely different songs, but with a common theme (Good vs. Evil), and hero confused13.gif I will say that By-Tor lends itself more to being played live than The Necromancer.

<geekspeek>

To me The Necromancer is the second part of the By-Tor saga. In the original - By-Tor and the Snow Hen, Prince By-Tor loses and goes back to hell.

The Necromancer see's Prince By-Tor come back as an anti-hero to open up a can of whoop-ass on the Necomancer.

</endgeekspeek>

To me it's basically the same song. When we play it live we go right into the Necromancer after By-Tor. So chose not to decide...

Smell the glove

Hard to decide. I loved these songs when I was a kid, but now they sound a bit corny to me. I guess its the awful lyrics that turn me off. The music and melodies are fine.

I guess those kinds of lyrics were "in" at the time, but now they sound so ridiculous to me.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ Nov 16 2009, 07:35 PM)
<geekspeek>
To me The Necromancer is the second part of the By-Tor saga. In the original - By-Tor and the Snow Hen, Prince By-Tor loses and goes back to hell.

The Necromancer see's Prince By-Tor come back as an anti-hero to open up a can of whoop-ass on the Necomancer.
</endgeekspeek>

To me it's basically the same song. When we play it live we go right into the Necromancer after By-Tor. So chose not to decide...

Smell the glove

But if you chose not to decide, have you still made a choice?

But ya, both songs evolved out of the same basic structure (the working man solo), and segue into each other almost seamlessly. No coincidence they are polled against each other.

Oy... which is better... the ATWAS version of By-tor is very impressive, but Necromancer has no official live release, and in most boots its joined with By-tor.

Necromancer, when it gets good, is better than By-tor, more or less. But ya, its bogged down by alot of boring narration.

OVERALL, By-tor, but by a very thin margin.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Nov 16 2009, 09:03 PM)

Necromancer, when it gets good, is better than By-tor, more or less. But ya, its bogged down by alot of boring narration.

A couple of posts have referenced pacing as a negative aspect of Necromancer. For me, By-tor suffers from a lack of tension at the outset. A simple drum fill and bang, we're on!

I prefer the darker, brooding COS track...and album as a whole as well.

QUOTE (goose @ Nov 16 2009, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (sdhonda @ Nov 16 2009, 09:03 PM)

A couple of posts have referenced pacing as a negative aspect of Necromancer. For me, By-tor suffers from a lack of tension at the outset. A simple drum fill and bang, we're on!

I prefer the darker, brooding COS track...and album as a whole as well.

Totally agree...and the narration is in total 2 minutes tops

Archived