A remake successfully stopped!!!!!!

The Owl

The planned remake of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" has successfully been "put on hold"

http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/09/02/no-rocky...not-yet-anyway/

Don't let MTV fool you.......... the moment MTV announced the remake last year, the fan outrage was apparent.... MTV took the hint.....

This needs to happen more often...... Too bad the remake of Nightmare on Elm street could not have been saved from the hands of Michael Bay.....but this shows that unnecessary remakes of classic movies can be stopped! We have the means.... and IT CAN BE DONE!

Man, why would anyone think they could outdo the original?..it just boggles my mind. Some movies you just cant touch. Im glad someone came to their senses.

They're doing it for the money. It's easier to get a buck that way that actually doing work by trying to write something original.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Oct 3 2009, 11:13 AM)
Too bad they couldn't stop the ORIGINAL. What a shitty movie IMO.

Seriously man, could this movie even BE made any worse than it already is?

Not to put down the obvious fun of the people who enjoy the cult status and craziness associated with this film, but the move on its own is atrocious.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 3 2009, 08:52 PM)
Too bad they couldn't stop the ORIGINAL.  What a shitty movie IMO.

Not to put down the obvious fun of the people who enjoy the cult status and craziness associated with this film, but the move on its own is atrocious.

Yep, without the antics this movie would have died a well-deserved early death. I've seen it a few times, threw toast at the screen, what have you. The problem is when there is ONE person in the audience who's determined to show how much more well-versed he is in the RHPS cultism, and has to outshout everyone else.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 3 2009, 06:52 PM)

THAT'S THE POINT of ROCKY HORROR

Us Cultists know the movie is a piece of shit...... but it's still ROCKY HORROR.....common I bet both of you have done the Time Warp at one point in time.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 3 2009, 08:58 PM)

Us Cultists know the movie is a piece of shit...... but it's still ROCKY HORROR.....common I bet both of you have done the Time Warp at one point in time.

men in fishnets? 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 4 2009, 10:58 AM)

There are some movies that are so bad, they're good. Then there are some that are so bad, they're living breathing pieces of shit that somehow gets applause. Rocky Horror is the latter

Remakes very often work. Although there are the odd exceptions that bettered their respective originals.

"The Fly" for example, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and Carpenter's "The Thing"

But every successful remake there's about 20 duds, including:-

The Haunting

Wages of Fear,

Les Diaboliques,

Ringu,

Nikita,

Get Carter et al.

Remakes is the easy option these days, but can still sting a studio if they get it badly wrong

The most pointless remake ever had to be Psycho. I mean, honestly, how vain was it to think you could outdo Hitchcock? wacko.gif

BTW, I like The Rocky Horror Show blush4.gif

Though I'm not one of these idiots that has to "participate" all the time.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Oct 4 2009, 02:52 AM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Oct 4 2009, 10:58 AM)

There are some movies that are so bad, they're good. Then there are some that are so bad, they're living breathing pieces of shit that somehow gets applause. Rocky Horror is the latter

I actually thought of posting something similar.

There are a lot of movies that are "so bad they're kind of good," but this is even worse than that.

One time in my 20's I did go to a midnight showing of this movie, having to see what the fuss was all about. Since I had never seen the movie, I found all the audience antics to be really distracting, as I wanted to actually see the movie along with all the craziness.

Anyway, the movie itself was horrible. I found all the audience insanity (including people performing the entire movie at the front of the theater under the screen) to be really annoying. It's not like anyone was getting hurt or anything, so if people enjoy it, that's great - it just wasn't my cup of tea personally.

Edited by rushgoober

Regardless of of what you, I, or anyone thinks of this film, it found its nitch as the most revered cult film in the history of cinema. For that reason alone, it should be left alone.

I mean what would they strive to achieve ? Would they try to equal its B quality or make a better acted version ? Either way, its as dumb an idea as I've ever heard. Your not going to please the old timers who loved the original. To them the thought of a remake is complete heresy. Your certainly not going to real in a new generation of Rocky Horror fans by remaking a bad movie ? Its just totally nonsensical to me. wacko.gif

The way I have enjoyed Rocky Horror the most is during a scene in the original Fame movie where some of the main characters go to a showing of it. That was a fun 2-3 minutes of film, and about the most I really every want to see of this movie again.

I'm old enough to remember the film when it first came out: never understood the cult status behind it. It was an okay film, but nothing special, even back for back then.

I've never seen "RHPS," save for a few moments here and there when it was on cable and my remote happened to land on it. Each time, my remote kept going past it. I really wanted to watch it, really I did, but my clicker's got a mind of its own, I tell ya. wink.gif

You can't re-make a cult movie. Imagine remaking the Holy Grail, it would be pointless. The whole reason the movie is a cult classic is because of the quirky imperfections and bad acting; you can't reproduce that. It's possible that it could be re-done in another genre I guess, but I don't see a bad movie being made into a good one... stupid idea.

I recently found out that there are plans to do a remake of the Joan Crawford classic "Mildred Pierce" which came out in 1945.

Except this time, it's a miniseries that will have Kate Winslet in the role (I believe) that Joan Crawford played.

The original is a great "film noir" and I can't imagine a remake being any good.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 3 2009, 12:44 PM)
They're doing it for the money. It's easier to get a buck that way that actually doing work by trying to write something original.

Exactly.....this describes Hollywood as a whole these days. Most of it is remakes of successful stuff previously done.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Oct 5 2009, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Oct 3 2009, 12:44 PM)

Exactly.....this describes Hollywood as a whole these days. Most of it is remakes of successful stuff previously done.

Yep, it's much easier to get a loan for a sequel or a re-make on a movie that did well. They actually have formulas that predict how much money they'll make even if the movie sucks, so all they have to do is keep the budget down and they're guaranteed to make a profit. No risk and no creativity.