Unofficial word from Alex...

Phantom

One of my best friends sent me an email tonight, as he was at a charity golf tournament in Toronto.

He was sitting at a table, when Alex and 3 others came up to him and asked him if the seats were being used, and if not, could they join him. My buddy ended up chatting w' Alex for a bit ( got me an autographed hat. SWEET !), and my buddy asked him if Rush were done touring. Alex said definitely not, and that they'd be out on the road " next year ".

It's far from official news, and might not mean much of anything given that it was a pretty casual setting over dinner at a golf tournament, but encouraging nonetheless.

And according to my buddy, Alex is an incredibly nice guy.... totally down to earth and really easy going.

And according to my buddy, Alex is an incredibly nice guy.... totally down to earth and really easy going.

I have heard and read so many stories over the decades like this that I'm convinced that Alex is the most genuine, humble, and kind member of a famous rock band ever. I know there are lots of good guys out there who are famous but over and over again I've read and witnessed Alex going above and beyond for everybody; fans, media, fellow musicians, and so on. They're all three good guys but Alex is just the coolest. I love this band for their music but it sure is nice to be able to cheer for someone like that instead of Axl Rose-type rock stars.

I still have to wonder if they're really going to tour in 2010. They haven't started on a new record yet and S&A took about a year from when they started working to when it was released, and that was a quick record by their standards. I'm still predicting a new album and tour for Spring/Summer 2011. I hope I'm wrong.

This was posted on Rushisaband.com

Alex Lifeson is featured in the October 2009 issue of Golf Digest in a short article on customer golfwear designer Ralph Dunning. There's a picture of Lerxst being fitted for some custom golf threads and a few quotes as well:

... Guitarist Alex Lifeson, a part owner of Coppinwood and co-founder of the rock band Rush, is one of Dunning's best customers. He came to the service after growing weary of the "compromise" required by off-the-shelf golfwear. Lifeson says he palys golf exclusively in Dunning clothing. "I can't ever go back to off-the-rack shirts," he says. "I just feel better in custom-fit gear."

Lifeson usually calls Dunning for new clothes before Rush goes out on the road. In advance of one recent tour, he ordered rough-weather gear so he could play a few rounds when the band reached Scotland. Says the guitarist: "I couldn't believe how comfortable I was despite the weather and, stylistically, the cut and fit stood out."

Many thanks to Chris Herin of Tiles for the scan.

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 29 2009, 08:34 PM)

I have heard and read so many stories over the decades like this that I'm convinced that Alex is the most genuine, humble, and kind member of a famous rock band ever. I know there are lots of good guys out there who are famous but over and over again I've read and witnessed Alex going above and beyond for everybody; fans, media, fellow musicians, and so on. They're all three good guys but Alex is just the coolest. I love this band for their music but it sure is nice to be able to cheer for someone like that instead of Axl Rose-type rock stars.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Phantom @ Sep 29 2009, 09:05 PM)
One of my best friends sent me an email tonight, as he was at a charity golf tournament in Toronto.

He was sitting at a table, when Alex and 3 others came up to him and asked him if the seats were being used, and if not, could they join him. My buddy ended up chatting w' Alex for a bit ( got me an autographed hat. SWEET !), and my buddy asked him if Rush were done touring. Alex said definitely not, and that they'd be out on the road " next year ".

It's far from official news, and might not mean much of anything given that it was a pretty casual setting over dinner at a golf tournament, but encouraging nonetheless.

I will, from this point until the next tour, likely have a few hundred dollars saved up and unspent, no matter how poor I become, simply so that if I hear a tour is happening I have cash to buy the album, listen to it thoroughly, and travel half 'round the world if necessary to see them several times live.

QUOTE (KlanKaos @ Sep 29 2009, 10:34 PM)
I will, from this point until the next tour, likely have a few hundred dollars saved up and unspent, no matter how poor I become

now here's a man with all his priorities in order... 1022.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 29 2009, 10:34 PM)

The three members of King's X might have Alex beat. They're not as big as Rush but they're not no-names either, and have been around for over 20 years. They are known for sticking around after a show just to hang with fans and sign autographs. I saw them play last week (along with Porcupine Tree) and after their last song frontman Doug Pinnick said they'd be at the bar if anyone wanted to hang out with them. From what I understand they do that after every show if time allows. What other name band does that? Talk about three humble and cool guys.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 07:27 AM)

The three members of King's X might have Alex beat. They're not as big as Rush but they're not no-names either, and have been around for over 20 years. They are known for sticking around after a show just to hang with fans and sign autographs. I saw them play last week (along with Porcupine Tree) and after their last song frontman Doug Pinnick said they'd be at the bar if anyone wanted to hang out with them. From what I understand they do that after every show if time allows. What other name band does that? Talk about three humble and cool guys.

Spock's Beard do that every time, at least in Europe. You can talk to them, take photos, whatever... they just hang aroud like "normal people". After the show I attended in 2007 they sat at the table and drank beer, like us fans. I have German fanclub T-Shirts waiting in my wardrobe for the guys, because I was responsible for printing the shirts but they didn't tour here since 2007. We gave Ryo one shirt for his birthday back then and the rest of the band wanted shirts, too. wink.gif But there are only about 400-1000 people at the concerts. If there were 10000 this wouldn't be possible, I guess.

Back on topic: this is cool news but it's still only Alex who wants to tour in 2010. But I'll start saving some money, too.

smile.gif

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Sep 29 2009, 08:34 PM)
I love this band for their music but it sure is nice to be able to cheer for someone like that instead of Axl Rose-type rock stars.

goodpost.gif

It's always nice not to have to overlook some immense flaw in the character of someone who you like for another talent (T.O. in Dallas comes to mind). Sure is nice that Alex is such a good guy.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 29 2009, 10:44 PM)
I still have to wonder if they're really going to tour in 2010. They haven't started on a new record yet and S&A took about a year from when they started working to when it was released, and that was a quick record by their standards. I'm still predicting a new album and tour for Spring/Summer 2011. I hope I'm wrong.

PuppetKing2112,

I definitely agree with you. I believe that Rush is not going to tour unless they release a new studio album to promote. I hope they don't release another EP like Feedback.

QUOTE (BB&B @ Sep 30 2009, 08:23 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 29 2009, 10:44 PM)

PuppetKing2112,

I definitely agree with you. I believe that Rush is not going to tour unless they release a new studio album to promote. I hope they don't release another EP like Feedback.

you can count on rush making another album. if there's an album there's a tour. it won't be a monster tour though. everything is up to neil. i think if alex and geddy decided on not touring, neil wouldn't put up a fight.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Sep 30 2009, 06:27 AM)

This is how fantastic Kings X are with their fans:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=24317&st=40

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?show...0entry1732368

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 30 2009, 12:04 PM)
Can you imagine being somewhere and Alex walking up and saying, "Hey, mind if I join you?"

No, sorry, these seats are taken. rofl3.gif

More like, well, my wife is coming back, but she can go sit in the car or something.

Agreed. z7shysterical.gif

Everyone says it's all up to Neil, but so far Alex seems to be the only one who's wanting to head to the studio soon. (Maybe he needs more $$$ for custom golf clothes?)

Remember his comment about Geddy "looking the other way" when Alex last mentioned the possibility of getting back to work?

Yeah, I think if this quote came from Neil or Geddy, I'd be much more excited.

Alsex just seems like the eternal optimist and always the one pushing for more Rush activity and talking about the positive future of Rush, but rarely do we get that from Geddy and NEVER do we get it from Neil.

If Neil sat down at a table and told me, "Yeah, we're going back on tour next year"...I'd put it in my calendar....with Alex, it's more of a "yeah, ok, we'll see" Not because Alex is full of it, just think he has delusions of grandeur

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 30 2009, 12:04 PM)
Can you imagine being somewhere and Alex walking up and saying, "Hey, mind if I join you?"

No, sorry, these seats are taken. rofl3.gif

More like, well, my wife is coming back, but she can go sit in the car or something.

Yeah, that was classic.

He called me on his way home, and couldn't believe what had happened. Said to me...

" I could not believe it. Alex Lifeson walks up to me, as polite as can be, and asks me if these seats are taken" !!!!!

A very cool experience.

Co-incidently enough, this same buddy of mine ran into Geddy at an airport in Orlando a year or two ago, and overheard a woman ask Ged for an autograph, to which he replied with a quick but polite, " no ". The woman's friend asked again, and Ged agreed.

Certainly, we all have our bad days, but my buddy commented that Ged came off like a bit of a rude rock star. I'm sure he's not, but my buddy was quick to point out the differences between his only experience with Ged, vs his only experience with Alex.

It strikes me that the 3 of them all really appreciate their fans, it's just that Alex is likely the most fan friendly of the bunch.

QUOTE (ArrowSnake @ Sep 30 2009, 01:10 PM)
QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Sep 30 2009, 06:04 PM)

z7shysterical.gif

Yeah. Man, that'd be cool.

I'd probably not be very imaginative with the conversation though. I'd be a fair bit starstruck. >.<

QUOTE (Phantom @ Sep 29 2009, 07:05 PM)

That is fantastic news!! I was just wondering about what this since Alex was predicting they would get into the studio this fall, which is now.

Yeah!!

QUOTE (Phantom @ Sep 29 2009, 07:05 PM)

I think this is what you are referring to:

October 1, 2009

SOCAN sponsors Retail Council of Canada's 2009 golf tournament

SOCAN hit the links with our friends and clients as a proud sponsor of the Retail Council of Canada's (RCC) annual golf tournament, held Sept. 24, 2009, at the Angus Glen Golf Course in Markham, Ont. The event is a fundraiser for the RCC's "Retail as a Career" scholarship program, and allowed SOCAN an opportunity to give back to its customers, especially those who do what's right for music and pay their licence fees.

Joining in a round of golf were SOCAN industry relations executive Craig Brockie; SOCAN member, rock legend and Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson; his fellow SOCAN member Andy Curran; and Thurstan Berkeley, CFO of Tilley Endurables Inc., who won the chance to tee off with Lifeson via a draw open to all attendees.

"I have participated in this tournament for the last five years, but this was the best," said Berkeley. "I was really looking forward to this one, though, because I had been chosen to golf with Alex Lifeson...Alex Lifeson!" he exclaimed.

SOCAN also sponsored the "Closer to the Heart" Closest to the Pin competition, with SOCAN prize packages (including golf supplies and SOCAN promotional items) presented by Lifeson and Brockie to four lucky winners. SOCAN also donated a Gibson Epiphone electric guitar, signed by Lifeson, for the event's silent auction. This was the top-selling item, which was purchased by Ron Bastine of ADT Security Services Canada.

Archived