Your Top Ten Most Amazing Concerts

Steevo

Not including rush shows coz ive been to every tour since 76..

10)ac/dc (75 ish)

9)marilion (82 ish)

8)black sabbath (82 ish)

7)hawkwind (75 ish)

6)chilli peppers (03 ish)

5)supertramp (77 ish)

4)judas priest (78 ish)

3)system of a down (04 ish)

2)rammstein (03 ish)

1)thin lizzy (76,77,78,79,80,)they used to tour a lot!

all shows manchester apollo or m.e.n arena

1...Neil Young , Nottingham 09...best gig I've ever seen.

2...Genesis , Knebworth 78...before they turned into a bunch of pop peddaling poofs.

3...AC/DC , Stoke 78...With Bon....Need I say more.

4...Roger Hodgson , Manchester 07....What a voice

5...Paul Gilbert , Dudley 08...On Fire.

6...VDGG , Wolverhampton 07...Intense.

7...Led Zeppelin , Knebworth 79...Pretty good.

8...Black Sabbath/Van Halen , Stoke 78...VH blew the Sabs away.

9...Greg Lake , 05 tour...The consumate proffesional

10...Muse , Brum 09....Can't wait.

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Sep 21 2009, 05:45 PM)
Kiss - Farewell Tour - 6/23/2000[/b]
The best Kiss show I've seen.  Pretty good seats, but the crowd made the night.  Didn't stop screaming once!

I saw that tour as well, yes they even made it down this far. I know what you mean about the crowd screaming, well at least I was anyway laugh.gif Old Kiss = best Kiss fer sher 1022.gif

I have two coming up that both have the potential to make this list. I'm seeing Dylan in a couple weeks, which will either be amazing or terrible, I've heard he can swing either way, but regardless I'll be able to say I saw him once. I'm also seeing the Pixies on their "Doolittle" tour, which should be incredible.

Maybe no top ten but...

Rush T4E tour '96 in the Gorge. Fantastic show. One of Neil's favorite venues and a damn fine aftrenoon. They played all of the 2112 Overture.

Soundgarden/Screaming Trees /Reverend Horton heat, '94? The show rocked. Outdooor gig in the Memorial Stadium. Soundgarden showed their mettle/metal. Ripped.

Metallica Black album Tour. April '92. Sold out gig. 2nd date added. 3 hours of Mettalifest. No opening band. Damn, Lars. You rocked the whole set. Kudos.

Queensryche "95 Promised Land tour. Fukking windstorm in the Gorge on the show, but they brought their A Game and show and played it out.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 22 2009, 06:12 AM)
I have two coming up that both have the potential to make this list. I'm seeing Dylan in a couple weeks, which will either be amazing or terrible, I've heard he can swing either way, but regardless I'll be able to say I saw him once. I'm also seeing the Pixies on their "Doolittle" tour, which should be incredible.

I've seen Bob twice. One was so bad, words will never do my memory justice.

Saw him a couple of months ago and there were tears in my eyes it was so good.

He played the following night, same venue, and by all accounts he was woeful.

So yeah, total lottery.

can't remember exact dates but.... (and in no particular order)

1/ Monsters of Rock 1984 (ACDC, Van Halen) ~ Donnington

2/ Thin Lizzy 1980 ~ Birmingham

3/ Rolling Stones: Voodoo Lounge Tour 1995 ~ London

4/ Rolling Stones: Bigger Bang Tour 2007 ~ London

5/ Rush: Hold Your Fire Tour 1988 ~ Birmingham NEC

6/ V Festival 1997 (Blur, Prodigy, Foo Fighters etc) ~ Staffordshire

7/ Oasis 2005 ~ London

8/ Black Sabbath: Heaven & Hell tour 1982 ~ Birmingham NEC

9/ Reading Festival 2004 (Super Furry Animals, The Darkness etc) ~ Reading

10/ Monsters Of Rock Festival 1992 (Iron Maiden, Thunder, Slayer) ~ Donnigton

1. Rush - SnA Tour 2008 - New Orleans

2. mewithoutyou, Dredg, the Blood Brothers, and Coheed and Cambria. 2006

3. Night Ranger and JOURNEY!!!! Sept. 21, 2009! amazing.

4. Rush - SnA Tour 2007 - Tampa

5. Darkest Hour, After the Burial, Parkway Drive, Winds of Plague - Thrash and Burn tour 2008

6. Rush R30 - Tampa

7. Sonata Arctica

8. James Taylor - 2005

9. Between the Buried and Me and Dragonforce - 2006

10. Dead to Fall and Shai Hulud

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Sep 21 2009, 12:45 AM)
Dream Theater - Chaos in Motion Tour - 8/18/2007
The best concert I've ever been to hands down. The crowd was fantastic, my seats were incredible and the setlist was killer. Best concert experience of my life.

Dream Theater - Progressive Nation 2009 - 8/14/2009
What a fantastic show. Great seats, and they played The Count of Tuscany AND The Camera Eye. Absolutely incredible!

Rush - R30 Tour - 8/22/2004
Best Rush show I've been too. The sound was fantastic and I had awesome seats...and I remember Neil dropping his stick 3 times during the set!!

Rush - T4E Tour - 7/2/1997
My first ever Rush concert. What a great night. I was 2nd row Alex's side, I remember him looking at me and smiling a few times!

Rush - S&A Tour - 7/9/2008
Best show I saw on the S&A Tour. Better than the 2 Air Canada Centre shows earlier in the tour. We were sitting in front of a guy who kept yelling 2112!!! And when they finally played it...he wanted to hear CLOSER TO THE HEARRRRRRRT!!

Kiss - Farewell Tour - 6/23/2000
The best Kiss show I've seen. Pretty good seats, but the crowd made the night. Didn't stop screaming once!

Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas 2006 - 12/22/2006
My first time witnessing TSO. WOW! The best stage show I have ever seen, and because of this spur the moment ticket purchase...I've seen them twice a year since then! Great friggin' show!

Symphony X - Paradise Lost Tour - 4/11/2008
Oh man. The best concert of 2008. What a great night at The Opera House. Right in front of Michael Romeo. Russell Allen kept looking at me nodding giving me the horns and tried throwing me water bottles. Never seen the venue that packed before. Capacity is 800...but I'm telling you there was over 1000 people there for sure!

Stratovarius - Polaris Tour - 9/18/2009
3 days ago. Oh boy! Great setlist, great crowd reaction, great group of guys. Got to meet them after the show AND...I GOT TO HANG OUT IN THE TOUR BUS FOR A FEW MINS. WHILE TIMO SIGNED THIS HUGE POSTER OF THEIR NEW ALBUM!!! Great group of guys.

Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere in Time Tour - 3/16/2008
Best Iron Maiden show I've been to. I had AWESOME SEATS!! 6th row on the side of the stage at the Air Canada Centre. Awesome crowd and 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' was filmed and put on the Flight 666 DVD!!

Daaaaamn, you one lucky sunuvagun

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Sep 22 2009, 02:12 AM)

I've seen Bob Dylan numerous times. The last 5 or 6 shows were terrible.

I've seen the Pixies several times and they knocked it out of the park each time. But that was 20 years ago!!! I'm sure they still kick ass.

QUOTE (tel @ Sep 21 2009, 04:49 AM)

5)supertramp (77 ish)

Good call! I saw that tour. They really were something live. Too bad they didn't tour more.

My #1 YES in the round in the late 70s, the tour before the Drama tour. I've seen Yes several times but that show was the most amazing show ever. I had front row balcony seats at the Amphitheater(sp?) in Chicago. I didn't know they were in the round so I thought they were just ok seats. Turns out the band is right in front of me and just below my level. Perfect view of a round stage. Never forget that one. I remember every second...every emotion.

Seen hundreds more in the 70s and 80s. Those were the days!

Best Rush...M.P. Tour

Zep

Floyd...Animals tour was pretty cool!

too many more to try to list.

how about bands you always wanted to see,but for one reason or another it never happened?

1) genesis

2) yes

3)pink floyd

4)the who

5)led zep

i guess most of these were predictable choices,ive been a regular concertgoer for 30 plus years and never did get to see five of the greatest bands in history (all brits you notice) wink.gif

Kings X, 2009 Shank hall, Milwaukee

Uplifting, hard rocking, almost religious experience at times. The genuine and heartfelt adoration between band and fans was extremely touching, and Dug Pinnick is probably one of the best frontmen in the business. Capped off by them being three of the nicest guys you will ever meet, all of them personally making sure my disabled wife enjoyed the show - fantastic.

Slayer- Reign In Pain Tour - 1986, Edinburgh Playhouse

Had never seen anything like this before, and probably never will again. Minimal stage show, limited crowd interaction from band, but just the most intense, razor sharp musicianship I have ever seen. The "moshing" was genuinely scary stuff and about three rows of seats were completely destroyed. Memorable for Tom Araya asking for "an all England chorus" and nearly being lynched on the spot laugh.gif

Rush - Permanent Taves Tour -Glasgow Apollo 1980

Rush during their "golden" period. Fabulous stuff, and this was the venues where the "glaswegian chorus" during CTTH was recorded.

Iron Maiden, Number of the Beast tour, Edinburgh Playhouse 1983

Introducing Bruce "air raid siren" Dickinson, this was a fantastic gig. I've seen them a few times and they have never disappointed, but this was the best.

AC/DC, Highway to Hell tour, Glasgow Apollo 1979

Yes, Bon Scott was the original and the best. My first ever concert in a major venue aged 12. What an introduction!

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Sep 18 2009, 10:06 AM)
Neil Young & Booker T & The MG's, Pearl Jam - Slane Castle - 1993 - summers day, beer, friends, Eddie Vedder singing Baba O'Riley
Yes - The National Concert Hall - 1999 - their first Irish show in 30 years
Mozaik - Church of Ireland Westport - 2005 - a religious experience
Status Quo - Portlaoise - 2009 - sweaty, loud, get in there!
Genesis - Leipzig - 2007 - drunk as a skunk witnessing how stadium rock shoud be done
Marillion - Manchester Academy - 2008 - loudest audience ever
Van Der Graaf Generator - Liverpool Philharmonic - 2007 - surreal and wonderful and emotional
Roger Waters (& Nick Mason)- Marquee Cork - 2006 - power failure, Nick Mason, Dark Side of the Moon
Jon Anderson/Rick Wakeman - Sheffield - 2007 - camemberesque in its cheesiness but uplifting. And met them both afterwards
King's X - Wolverhampton - 2009
- the first time I'd gone to a gig as a newbie in a long time, wow, I was blown away, and such a damn fine bunch of fellas.

Might have to change this.

Was at Jon Lord with the RTE National Concert Orchestra last night and they performed Concerto for Group & Orchestra, Pictures of Home, Child In Time, Soldier of Fortune and a few pieces from Pictures Within, Sarabande, Durham Concerto and a few others.

It was also the 40th anniversary of it's premier, 24th September 1969, and the 250th anniversary of Guinness, so the omens were good!

Dear God, it was magnificent. Tears in the eyes, goose pimple stuff.

I'll post a review when the old brain recovers.

Archived