Horrible 'Futurama' news!

Jack Aubrey

This is garbage, everyone should boycott this and hope it dies quickly.

From Entertainment Weekly.

'Futurama' getting new voices for Fry, Leela, Bender, and others

Jul 17, 2009, 03:17 PM | by Margaret Lyons

Just when I was getting really excited for the revived Futurama, total bummer news emerges: The voice actors are going to be different. Who's going to Zoid my Zoidberg?

Twentieth Century Fox, which is still producing the series even though new episodes will air on Comedy Central, is recasting the major voice roles for the show. That means no more Billy West (Fry, Professor, and Ziodberg), Katey Sagal (Leela), John DiMaggio (Bender), Maurice LaMarche (Kif Kroker, among others), or Tress MacNeil (Mom, and several others). Worst!

Fox released a statement saying "We love the Futurama voice performers and absolutely wanted to use them, but unfortunately, we could not meet their salary demands. While replacing these talented actors will be difficult, the show must go on. We are confident that we will find terrific new performers to give voice to Matt and David's brilliantly subversive characters."

Is it still Futurama with totally different voices, PopWatchers, or can this news bite your shiny metal -- well, you know.

I thought Futurama vanished a few years ago. Anyways this is pretty f**king stupid.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jul 18 2009, 11:56 AM)
I thought Futurama vanished a few years ago. Anyways this is pretty f**king stupid.

They been putting out straight to dvd release full length "movie" episodes for a few years now. Comedy Central what a cheap outfit why even bother, won't be the same. no.gif

What is wierd is that several of the voice actors are supposed to be on the Futurama panel at Comic Con next weekend.

I am sure this will be a MAJOR point of discussion at the even... hopefully a miracle will happen as it did when FOX seriously considered re-casting the Simpsons a few years ago.

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 19 2009, 11:40 PM)
What is wierd is that several of the voice actors are supposed to be on the Futurama panel at Comic Con next weekend.

I am sure this will be a MAJOR point of discussion at the even... hopefully a miracle will happen as it did when FOX seriously considered re-casting the Simpsons a few years ago.

I was thinking about that last night when I heard Comic Con was coming up. The fact that it is makes me wonder if this might be a joke/publicity stunt.

QUOTE (hunter @ Jul 20 2009, 08:28 AM)
Do these voice actors have soooo much going on they can hold out? Why not just create a whole new series with different characters then?

Yeah! What's the point? Just do a spinoff or something then. Sort of like American Dad.

I hate when shows replace voices. Occasionally I'll watch Family Guy and I swear Meg and Lois have different voices. It's annoying. I used to watch Home Movies but when they stopped using Paula Poundstone as the voice of the mom, it wasn't the same. The new gal sucked!

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2009, 01:47 PM)
Do these voice actors have soooo much going on they can hold out? Why not just create a whole new series with different characters then?

Yeah! What's the point? Just do a spinoff or something then. Sort of like American Dad.

I hate when shows replace voices. Occasionally I'll watch Family Guy and I swear Meg and Lois have different voices. It's annoying. I used to watch Home Movies but when they stopped using Paula Poundstone as the voice of the mom, it wasn't the same. The new gal sucked!

I liked Paula Poundstone better, but Janine DiTullio does a better job at doing the ditzy voice, which sometimes fits the character better. laugh.gif

QUOTE (priest_of_syrinx @ Jul 20 2009, 01:14 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2009, 01:47 PM)

I liked Paula Poundstone better, but Janine DiTullio does a better job at doing the ditzy voice, which sometimes fits the character better. laugh.gif

But the first handful of episodes were with Paula so I got used to that voice. Sidetracking: I love whoever does the voice of the soccer coach. I hear his voice all over the place now! It's very distinct and he doesn't even try to change it, it seems like.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jul 20 2009, 03:47 PM)
I hate when shows replace voices. Occasionally I'll watch Family Guy and I swear Meg and Lois have different voices. It's annoying.

I know Alex Borstein has always done Lois, but I think she changed how she voiced the character. (I think that Seth Green, who voices Chris, may have done the same thing.) Meg, on the other hand, was voiced by Lacey Chabert for the earlier episodes (where she has a high-pitched voice), then by Mila Kunis, who has voiced her since then.