Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The Owl

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 16 2009, 10:14 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 16 2009, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Jul 16 2009, 02:33 AM)
I also hated the scene where the burrow was burned, and something that hasnt been mentioned:why no Dumbledore explaining to the Dursleys that Harry would have to come back over the summer?

You sound like every Lord Of THe Rings fan dissecting any given scene...WHY? HOW COME? etc.

Books and movies....two different mediums.

Yeah, that's true, but they could have done better with the movie adaptation on this one. I think all of the other Harry Potter movies were better adaptations. They left out the one part that I wanted to see in the movie more than any other. angry.gif The rest of the move wasn't bad though.

And what part was that?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 16 2009, 07:14 AM)
I also hated the scene where the burrow was burned, and something that hasnt been mentioned:why no Dumbledore explaining to the Dursleys that Harry would have to come back over the summer?

You sound like every Lord Of THe Rings fan dissecting any given scene...WHY? HOW COME? etc.

Yeah, that's true, but they could have done better with the movie adaptation on this one. I think all of the other Harry Potter movies were better adaptations. They left out the one part that I wanted to see in the movie more than any other. angry.gif The rest of the move wasn't bad though.

This one was maybe the least exact adaptation in the series, but it was by far the best movie.

Dumbledore dies schla03.gif

Took half a day off yesterday to take my 12 year old son to see it. Should have saved my money. Other than a few impressive scenes, special effects-wise, we were basically bored through most of it. Too much attempt at developing story lines and love triangles. wub.gif Who wants to see the little tots petting each other??? unsure.gif

Anyway...I would rank it as "okay", but not a "must see". My son said, "That sucked" 062802puke_prv.gif as we left the theater. Me thinkst he was partially correct, and I honestly felt it was the weakest in the series.

Oh...and the creepy crawlers out of the cavern lake scene seemed like a bit of a ripoff from the "bodies in the swamp" scene in LOTR, but they all looked like Gollum.

Edited by SimpleKindMirror

Just got back from the theater and I was very impressed with this one. Some of the dialogue was a bit corny, but that was a minor setback compared to the excellence of the film as a whole. I agree with every positive aspect (the cave scene was phenomenal) that has been posted thus far, so I'll just take a minute to ask the analytical cynics... WHY all the hate? Yes, there were some bits that you'd find in your run of the mill romantic comedy, but you have to remember that the kids are 17 years old in this movie. That being said, their relationships and interactions were perfectly depicted. A movie doesn't always suffer from romantic elements. Get over yourselves and just enjoy the damn movie.

Saw it tonight and loved it! I had a great time - my husband thought it was so-so, but I just enjoyed it and had fun. Great movie!

I had a discussion with Mattshine (theworkingman) last night about the movie as well as the book. I haven't read the book, so I think I'm going to read the book during my vacation next week (several hours on planes, trains, relaxing in the hotel, etc.), then watch the movie.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 16 2009, 04:16 AM)

Well, the two things I was thinking during the scene was 'why are arent they putting it out, they're magic!' and 'is the house just gonna magically reapear in the next movie without explanation?' I dont mind the missing scenes except the one above, but to add stuff that never happened seems kinda weird.

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Jul 18 2009, 12:20 AM)

Well, the two things I was thinking during the scene was 'why are arent they putting it out, they're magic!' and 'is the house just gonna magically reapear in the next movie without explanation?' I dont mind the missing scenes except the one above, but to add stuff that never happened seems kinda weird.

I'm sure they put it out after but they were kind of in awe at the moment Bellatrix and Greyback blasted through it. I mean, wouldn't you be a little shocked too? There's no Bill and Fleur in the movie so I'm guessing they won't have to worry about the wedding unless it's replaced with Lupin and Tonks.

Anyway, saw the movie again last night in IMAX and loved it even more. Payed more attention to smaller details this time and really enjoyed it. By far my favorite of the movies, but hopefully Part 1 and 2 of Deathly Hallows does something about that. Oh and Luna is officially my favorite Harry Potter character. Looking forward to her having a bigger role in the next movies. Only 1 minor complaint:

I understand that they can't get everything in and that it's hard to condense a book of this magnitude into a 2 and 1/2 hour movie but...

Why the f**k was there no funeral?

Edited by theworkingman

Ok, I finally saw this today.

It started off fantastic - it was nice and dark and very true to the book. In the places where it cut corners, I didn't mind.

But then it kept cutting corners, and in the end I was left as I have been with the last several Harry Potter movies - bitterly disappointed in the huge chunks of information and plot points that got cut.

And then the absolutely best moment in ANY Harry Potter book, the kiss between Harry and Ginny - completely gone and replaced with a really feeble kiss in the room of requirement.

Still I enjoyed it, but man have the movies been a let down for me. Mind you, I like them for what they are - I must as I've seen all of them several times, but they severely pale in comparison to the books. Shame...

Except the Lord of the Rings movies were exceptionally well done. My complaints about the LOTRF movies in terms of things they left out from the books were VERY minor and nitpicky, and the movies were absolutely incredible.

While the Harry Potter movies are very well done, there's just no comparison. In terms of book to movie adaptations, LOTR is in a completely different league...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 19 2009, 01:12 PM)

Except the Lord of the Rings movies were exceptionally well done. My complaints about the LOTRF movies in terms of things they left out from the books were VERY minor and nitpicky, and the movies were absolutely incredible.

While the Harry Potter movies are very well done, there's just no comparison. In terms of book to movie adaptations, LOTR is in a completely different league...

I agree, the LOTR movies truly are the benchmark for how a book-to-film adaptation should be done.

The HP movies are good, but with some of them I get the feeling that if someone hadn't read the books they wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 19 2009, 06:04 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 19 2009, 01:12 PM)

I agree, the LOTR movies truly are the benchmark for how a book-to-film adaptation should be done.

The HP movies are good, but with some of them I get the feeling that if someone hadn't read the books they wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

Hard to know. My theory is someone who hasn't read the books would get what was going on, and they wouldn't be missing what isn't there. Of course they'd be missing out on so much, but they wouldn't know that. wink.gif

Saw it today...and I LOVED IT!

yes, I missed the discussion Dumbledore had with the Dursleys --i would have enjoyed that.

And I would have enjoyed the battle at the end...my only real complaint is that in the book the responsibility of not responding to the threat was taken off Harry, in the movie, he is left to feel as if he was responsible.

I did not miss the Bill and Fleur story line.

but the end? holy cow...i was grasping the seat in front of me, half out of my own seat. So emotional!

bumper.gif

Ultimately it seems that the purpose of the movies is to introduce the moviegoer to the books, in hopes that the moviegoer will also become a reader.

Not having read the books myself, I probably need to start getting these.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Jul 16 2009, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Jul 16 2009, 10:14 AM)

And what part was that?

The wizzard battle at the end.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 21 2009, 03:25 PM)
ya they totally messed up the kissing scene with Ginny and Harry and the end where he tells her that they can't be together because people who are close to him keep dying. And her telling him that basically she's going to be there for him whether he likes it or not. In the book that scene was just really great and they never even put it in the movie. I think it's an important scene considering what happens in Deathly Hollows.

Only thing I can think of is that they are going to flash back to the wedding scene in the next movie.

Fortunately they are taking the last tome and splitting into TWO movies, so maybe all the loose ends will get tied up at that time.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 21 2009, 12:25 PM)
Also why was there nothing about Neville in this movie? He's a pretty important player in all this..

There were a lot of characters who either weren't there at all (Mad-Eye Moody (who incidentally is killed), Mundungus Fletcher, Kingsley Shacklebot, the Dursley's, Bill, Fleur, the Gaunt's, Hepzibah Smith, Voldemort's parents, the "other" minister, Rufus Scrimgeour, Kreacher & Dobby for the love of God!), or made at best make a quick cameo appearance. For example, Voldemort (the current day version) was in the movie for about 3 seconds. WTF?

What's the point of having Fenrir Greyback if they never even mention he's a werewolf? What was the point of having Luna Lovegood wear the lion costume if it didn't even roar? How does Hedwig appear at the Burrough when she's supposed to die escaping from the Dursley's? Does the Order of the Phoenix even exist in the movies other than as a vague concept?

And Draco spent the whole movie working towards letting the death eaters into the castle, only so he could point a wand at Dumbledore himself and have Snape kill him. Why even have the other death eaters there at all other than to break some glass and have Bellatrix giggle insanely? Yes dear, you killed Sirius Black, we know.

And some odd choices - why not cut the scene at Diagon Alley, or Harry at the diner, or some of the scene on the train, or the Burrough being burned and add in another couple of horcrux memories and the battle at the end? The horcrux memories especially are the most crucial scenes (and some of the best) in the book, aren't they? Or maybe I'm just f*cked up? Wait, don't answer that! tongue.gif

Alas, I still enjoyed it, but man! sad.gif

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 21 2009, 03:54 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jul 21 2009, 12:25 PM)
Also why was there nothing about Neville in this movie? He's a pretty important player in all this..

There were a lot of characters who either weren't there at all (Mad-Eye Moody (who incidentally is killed), Mundungus Fletcher, Kingsley Shacklebot, the Dursley's, Bill, Fleur, the Gaunt's, Hepzibah Smith, Voldemort's parents, the "other" minister, Rufus Scrimgeour, Kreacher & Dobby for the love of God!), or made at best make a quick cameo appearance. For example, Voldemort (the current day version) was in the movie for about 3 seconds. WTF?

What's the point of having Fenrir Greyback if they never even mention he's a werewolf? What was the point of having Luna Lovegood wear the lion costume if it didn't even roar? How does Hedwig appear at the Burrough when she's supposed to die escaping from the Dursley's? Does the Order of the Phoenix even exist in the movies other than as a vague concept?

And Draco spent the whole movie working towards letting the death eaters into the castle, only so he could point a wand at Dumbledore himself and have Snape kill him. Why even have the other death eaters there at all other than to break some glass and have Bellatrix giggle insanely? Yes dear, you killed Sirius Black, we know.

And some odd choices - why not cut the scene at Diagon Alley, or Harry at the diner, or some of the scene on the train, or the Burrough being burned and add in another couple of horcrux memories and the battle at the end? The horcrux memories especially are the most crucial scenes (and some of the best) in the book, aren't they? Or maybe I'm just f*cked up? Wait, don't answer that! tongue.gif

Alas, I still enjoyed it, but man! sad.gif

Yes they should have had more scenes with the Horcruxes in the movie. They were very exciting in the book. Oh yes KREACHER... how could they have NOT put him in the film... that was just so stupid. Now the next film isn't going to make any sense when they go searching for RAB. I really saw the battle is pretty anti-climatic and thought they could have done a much better job. TOOTP was a much better done movie IMO.

Maybe I should be ashamed of myself that I have not read any of the books and have not seen any of the movies...nah...I've got time...