Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

The Owl

Might as well start this thread......

Who's seen this? I went to see a midnight screening last night and enjoyed it very much.....

MUCH......MUCH better than 5, 4 or 1.....but not as good as 2 but about on par with 3.

as far as trueness to the books go...this is one of the most faithful adaptations yet....not much changed...

Who else has seen this?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i kind of look it as being two harry potter series - the books, and the movies. while i think the books are far, FAR better (people who have only seen the movies really have no idea what they're missing), the movies are enjoyable as reader's digest versions of the books. this one has received pretty stellar reviews all around and i am looking forward to it. my excitement level is maybe 10% of what it was every time a new HP book came out, but still it'll be fun. the book was pretty stellar so i can't imagine they could mess it up too badly.

perhaps with the 7th installment, since they're making it into two movies (what they should have been doing since Goblet of Fire to really do the books justice), it'll really be something special.

did i mention how incredible the harry potter books were? yes.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (The Owl @ Jul 15 2009, 02:35 PM)
as far as trueness to the books go...this is one of the most faithful adaptations yet....not much changed...

Hoorah!!! This is exactly what I wanted to hear, Owl!! Thanks!

Our nephew drove all the way to Warwick, RI (about 1 1/2 hours away) to see the midnight show yesterday because EVERY theater around here was sold out!

Our grandson, Agent By-Tor is going with his family today at 4:20 wink.gif - - I wonder who made THAT schedule?!?

T & I will be going later on this week. Can't wait - - this was one of my favorite books in the series!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 15 2009, 03:56 PM)
I wouldn't waste my time seeing this movie in the theater but I will check it out on Blu-Ray.

Is this the last one?
I sure hope so.

If you don't like them (which you obviously don't) then why see them at all? confused13.gif

I personally love them, and no, this isn't the last one. There will be two more.

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 15 2009, 01:01 PM)

they're all pretty faithful to the books. they just cut out a lot of scenes, condense, cram, shove things together and go at breakneck speed to cover the major plot points losing a ton of details, subtlety, motivations, subplots and nuance in the process. the magic of the books are in her detailed descriptions, private thoughts, in depth conversations and a lot of things that aren't in the movies. i guess that's the way it has to be without making each book into a 12 hour mini-series. even still the movies are great, but they don't hold a candle to the books...

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Jul 15 2009, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jul 15 2009, 03:56 PM)
I wouldn't waste my time seeing this movie in the theater but I will check it out on Blu-Ray.

Is this the last one?
I sure hope so.

If you don't like them (which you obviously don't) then why see them at all? confused13.gif

I personally love them, and no, this isn't the last one. There will be two more.

I'm always hoping that I will eventually like one.

Besides my two daughters love the series.

I saw it this morning. VERY good. Best movie in the series so far. As others said, it was more or less faithful to the book, there were a couple of changes and things they do differently, but they get to every important plot point in some way or another. You have to keep in mind they're condensing a 700-page book into a 2 and a half hour movie, so there are some details that get cut, but they did a good job of cutting the right things. The acting was a step above the other movies from everybody involved. Alan Rickman, as usual, steals the show as Snape. Tom Felton really stepped up the Malfoy role this time, and Slughorn was great. All the romance stuff was handled very amusingly and I was happy with it.

Highly recommended.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 15 2009, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 15 2009, 06:50 PM)
I saw it this morning.

They show movies in the MORNING out there?

Yeah. I've personally never seen the appeal of going to midnight showings of movies, I don't want to be falling asleep at 3AM when it's over, but I had to be out of the house early today anyway, so I went to a 10:20 showing.

Here's another thought: Even though I thought this movie did a good job of cutting all the right stuff, I am so happy that Deathly Hallows is going to be split into two movies. There's way too much stuff for one, and if they tried to cut it down short enough it would be a mess a la the Goblet of Fire movie (my least favorite of the movies so far).

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 15 2009, 07:54 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jul 15 2009, 03:38 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jul 15 2009, 06:50 PM)
I saw it this morning.

They show movies in the MORNING out there?

Yeah. I've personally never seen the appeal of going to midnight showings of movies, I don't want to be falling asleep at 3AM when it's over, but I had to be out of the house early today anyway, so I went to a 10:20 showing.

Well......I'm green with envy.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 15 2009, 05:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Jul 15 2009, 01:01 PM)

they're all pretty faithful to the books. they just cut out a lot of scenes, condense, cram, shove things together and go at breakneck speed to cover the major plot points losing a ton of details, subtlety, motivations, subplots and nuance in the process. the magic of the books are in her detailed descriptions, private thoughts, in depth conversations and a lot of things that aren't in the movies. i guess that's the way it has to be without making each book into a 12 hour mini-series. even still the movies are great, but they don't hold a candle to the books...

No, and they never will. The key is what you said earlier - thinking of the books and the movies as two totally separate things.

Saw it at midnight and by far my favorite of the series. Fantastic. Very faithful to the book except for a few nitpicky things I thought it was done very well and much better than the last two. There were a few things that did seem odd to me (The burning of the burrow which just seemed completely pointless, and I was relatively disappointed that there was no final battle scene like in the book but I understand that J.K Rowling is in a way trying to build up for the final bloodbath at the end of the series). Something I was very pleased with was not only the acting and the way many of the scenes were done but what is most likely my favorite scene in the entire series where Harry confronts Snape. That was done very well. Overall, a very very good movie that i'll probably see again many times. The Cave scene was fantastic and Helena Bonham Carter was incredible. She steals every scene she's in and just fantastic as Bellatrix.

QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Jul 16 2009, 02:33 AM)
I also hated the scene where the burrow was burned, and something that hasnt been mentioned:why no Dumbledore explaining to the Dursleys that Harry would have to come back over the summer?

You sound like every Lord Of THe Rings fan dissecting any given scene...WHY? HOW COME? etc.

Books and movies....two different mediums.

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jul 16 2009, 06:16 AM)
QUOTE (yaoi_myantidrug @ Jul 16 2009, 02:33 AM)
I also hated the scene where the burrow was burned, and something that hasnt been mentioned:why no Dumbledore explaining to the Dursleys that Harry would have to come back over the summer?

You sound like every Lord Of THe Rings fan dissecting any given scene...WHY? HOW COME? etc.

Books and movies....two different mediums.

Yeah, that's true, but they could have done better with the movie adaptation on this one. I think all of the other Harry Potter movies were better adaptations. They left out the one part that I wanted to see in the movie more than any other. angry.gif The rest of the move wasn't bad though.