I have a HORRIBLE thing to admit...

sullysue

I know about the wide spread, um, negative perception that seems to circulate about Neil Peart. But, I have to admit that when I started listening to Rush, I couldn't have given a rat's patootie about the other two in the band. I was drawn by the drums. I don't know why. I can't and don't play the drums. I couldn't if I tried, nor do I wish to. But, to this dayI wish that I had camera shots of just Neil Peart playing. Yes, I LOVE Alex Lifeson. He's an amazing guitar player and an inspiration to generations of musicians. He's some fine eye candy, too. And, Geddy... there aren't words for his talent. But, still I have to say that the only thing that has kept me a Rush fan is Peart's talents as a drummer. Not always as a lyricist, because, let's be honest, he can be silly. But, I'll be damned if I can't get enough of hearing and looking at him playing the drums.

smile.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's OK.

People need to get over the fact that Neil doesn't like to meet fans. That's his personality. There's no rule anywhere that says you have to be super outgoing and willing to talk to fans all the time to be a professional musician.

And yes, his drumming is what made me a fan in the first place. I can't say that's what kept me a fan because as time goes by I have started listening to music in general a lot less from a musician's standpoint than from a fan's standpoint.

+1

I met Neil backstage by his tour bus during the VAPOR TRAILS Tour and once we made eye contact and I started to approach him to shake his hand, he went back up onto his bus and shut the door.

Didn't matter to me though. Gazing into his dark as coal eyes and red bloated face like a deer in headlights was priceless. Three seconds of direct eye contact with the Master.

No matter what I say about Neil I will always love him.

I've been hitting the skins for 26 years thanks to him.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 29 2009, 11:45 PM)
+1

I met Neil backstage by his tour bus during the VAPOR TRAILS Tour and once we made eye contact and I started to approach him to shake his hand, he went back up onto his bus and shut the door.

Didn't matter to me though. Gazing into his dark as coal eyes and red bloated face like a deer in headlights was priceless. Three seconds of direct eye contact with the Master.

laugh.gif

You've been sorely missed, Earl. Sore ly missed. tongue.gif

Anyway, I know that a lot of people know what I mean. Yeah, he might be a jerk on the level that "we" might have contact with him, but I know that he IS the reason that I love this band. So... there.

(more or less.... huh.gif )

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 29 2009, 10:18 PM)
I know about the wide spread, um, negative perception that seems to circulate about Neil Peart. But, I have to admit that when I started listening to Rush, I couldn't have given a rat's patootie about the other two in the band. I was drawn by the drums. I don't know why. I can't and don't play the drums. I couldn't if I tried, nor do I wish to. But, to this dayI wish that I had camera shots of just Neil Peart playing. Yes, I LOVE Alex Lifeson. He's an amazing guitar player and an inspiration to generations of musicians. He's some fine eye candy, too. And, Geddy... there aren't words for his talent. But, still I have to say that the only thing that has kept me a Rush fan is Peart's talents as a drummer. Not always as a lyricist, because, let's be honest, he can be silly. But, I'll be damned if I can't get enough of hearing and looking at him playing the drums.

smile.gif

tongue.gif its ok to be different,people will learn to accept you and eventually you will integrate with society in the way that normal people do.

if at any time you feel less of a person for your "little secret" take pleasure from the fact that there are indeed many others such as you who love peart and that it is society that it as fault and not yourself smile.gif

Neil does indeed rule and who really cares if he is not comfortable with fans - we are all individuals. 2.gif 2.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 30 2009, 12:45 AM)
+1

Er. . .his eyes are GREEN. Check the "Neil Peart Rules" thread in NWW if you need confirmation of this. wink.gif

Anyways. . .sullysue, I can sorta relate. I don't play drums either, don't know the first thing about it, but I could watch him at work for hours. It's totally fascinating.

One thing I have noticed, and I don't do this with any other band I like - I will often listen to a particular Rush song and just focus on one single element of the music. For example, I'll follow the bass all the way through "Animate", or the guitar in "The Analog Kid", the drums in "Territories", etc. , paying minimal attention to the rest of the song. I used to just do this with the drums.

Don't care much whether or not Neil is socially awkward. I am not likely to ever interact with him except through his music and writing. It isn't as if he's some complete jackass who gropes waitresses, trashes hotel rooms, or gets himself arrested for punching journalists. He's just a talented, hardworking guy who happens to be one-third of the best band of my life.

Okay, so yes, I do have a bit of a crush on him, but I think I can manage to maintain a realistic perspective in spite of that.

smile.gif

If a confession such as this isn't safe among other Rush fans, then I have no clue where else it would be permissible to do so, because so many others just wouldn't care.

So, I'm glad you took the bold step to share your feelings. If nothing else, this board is a support group for those of us with what others might see as an affliction anyway.

I think I am largely in your corner on this.

I think I would have to say Neil probably was a core reason for my early interest in the band. I can remember playing the 'Exit Stage Left' solo for my Mom, and possibly my great aunt. I don't recall my great aunt's reaction, but my Mom did go to two shows with me eventually - my first and third.

I've also been intrigued with most of his lyric writing. No one else I've heard has ever used the word "phosphorescent" in a song! smile.gif

I think we can simply chalk up his aversion to fan contact as both a personality quirk and a sense of self-preservation. He well documents his freaky encounters with fans early on and I think most of us would run for the hills if we thought people were watching our hotel rooms.

I don't get the idea that he's ungrateful, he's just not comfortable with

the side-effects of fame. This doesn't make him an awful human being.

I think he compensates for this with his books and his blog. We know more about him as an individual than we do about the other two members of the band and I think this is a sufficient substitute for his absence at press conferences and meet-and-greets.

smile.gif

Welcome to my world.

tongue.gif

icon_alienjig.gif

Oh, and that HORRIBLE part? C'mon! And in all caps for pete's sake? tongue.gif

Neil inspired me to pick up the drums. But I have to say what really drew me to Rush in the first place was Alex's guitar. Xanadu was the first Rush song my dad showed me and I had never heard anything like that before. It just hypnotized me and made me interested in the rest of Rush's music. smile.gif

Pretty much a guarantee the trolls will be out in full force as soon as a thread about NP starts.

I will always love Pratt for his brilliant mind and awesome lyrics. Let's face it, the lyrics are what truly defines RUSH....well along with Alex shredding on lead guitar and the Rock God Geddy Lee...........

When it comes to the holy triumverate that is RUSH:

"All are needed by each one,

Nothing is fair or good alone."

---Ralph Waldo Emerson wub.gif

QUOTE (Test 4 Gecko @ May 30 2009, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 30 2009, 04:02 PM)
Pretty much a guarantee the trolls will be out in full force as soon as a thread about NP starts.

I suggest that you have a sense of humor by-pass.

Neil would be mortally offended by this rot.

Uh..............hmmm.

QUOTE (Turn The Page @ May 30 2009, 05:22 PM)
Who is Neil Peart?

Neil Peart is:

A - Pool Cleaner.

B - Cab Driver.

C - Serial Killer.

D - None of the above.

Archived