I have a HORRIBLE thing to admit...

sullysue

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we can all agree that without any one member, Rush would not be Rush as we know them today, but if a different drummer and lyricist had joined instead of NEP, Rush would have been just another hard rock band. The song writing is what set them apart from anyone else, especially in the early years.

Neil is an essential ingredient in Rush with respect to song writing and "vision". That said, if he never toured with Alex and Geddy again, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

QUOTE (JARG @ Jun 1 2009, 12:07 PM)
Neil is an essential ingredient in Rush with respect to song writing and "vision". That said, if he never toured with Alex and Geddy again, I wouldn't be bothered in the least.

Why is that?

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Jun 1 2009, 10:31 AM)

Why is that?

He shows almost zero enthusiasm for what he's doing, and from what I've read, he feels almost zero enthusiasm for it as well.

I'd much rather see Geddy and Alex play Rush songs with a different -- visibly enthusiastic -- drummer up there in the "guilded cage" (now there was a prophetic reference if ever there was one).

Plenty of famous people avoid interviews and direct contact with their fans, and nobody thinks anything of it. The only reason anyone is bothered by NP's attitude toward the fans is because he made the mistake of allowing his discomfort to become common knowledge. Now it's cannon fodder for trolls everywhere. beathorse.gif

Btw, there is no 2.gif without NP! 1022.gif

Here we go again another Neil "he won't talk with me and sign my piece of crap" bashing session. Seriously anybody that thinks Neil owes us fans anything more than to write fine lyrics witch he does and play drums well witch he does. Anymore than that is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. I mean what do you whiners want an all expence paid trip to LA or Quebec to have dinner with the guy. what would you do if you did indeed meet him? think about it for a second.. The reason he does not want to be in the "Limelight" is because of this kind of crap. And yes I am aware of the argument of "than why did he choose to be a musician?" to answer that he wanted to play music not to be hounded and tracked like an animal. I know that I'll get bashed for writing my opinion but it is my opinion and in responce to anybody that decided to bash my opinion here is my reaction tongue.gif

bolt.gif

I don't know about anyone else, but my comments didn't have anything to do with Neil's relationship (whatever that may be) with his fans, so I'll assume that comments about that aren't in reference to anything I wrote.

QUOTE (JARG @ Jun 1 2009, 03:09 PM)
I don't know about anyone else, but my comments didn't have anything to do with Neil's relationship (whatever that may be) with his fans, so I'll assume that comments about that aren't in reference to anything I wrote.

Lighten up, Francis! pokey.gif rofl3.gif This is just another thread that's going in 2 different directions at the same time.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 30 2009, 08:28 PM)
Neil inspired me to pick up the drums.

You don't have to pick up the drums, Chrissie. Just the sticks will do fine. wink.gif

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 1 2009, 06:40 PM)

You don't have to pick up the drums, Chrissie. Just the sticks will do fine. wink.gif

Unlike the guitar or the bass. tongue.gif

QUOTE (JARG @ Jun 1 2009, 07:16 PM)

Why is that?

He shows almost zero enthusiasm for what he's doing, and from what I've read, he feels almost zero enthusiasm for it as well.

I'd much rather see Geddy and Alex play Rush songs with a different -- visibly enthusiastic -- drummer up there in the "guilded cage" (now there was a prophetic reference if ever there was one).

no.gif A visibly enthusiastic drummer would spoil Rush for me. Neil drumming like a god with a rock-straight face is a huge part of Rush charm.

QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Jun 2 2009, 06:25 AM)

Why is that?

no.gif A visibly enthusiastic drummer would spoil Rush for me. Neil drumming like a god with a rock-straight face is a huge part of Rush charm.

Would the charm be lost, then, if the next time you saw Rush Neil appeared to be as enthusiastic about playing live as Geddy and/or Alex?

QUOTE (JARG @ Jun 2 2009, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE (HisCounterpart @ Jun 2 2009, 06:25 AM)

Why is that?

Would the charm be lost, then, if the next time you saw Rush Neil appeared to be as enthusiastic about playing live as Geddy and/or Alex?

Rather yes but no. But it would definitely be better than seeing them play with some other bloke.

My point is, I see no fault with Neil not grimacing his enthusiasm when he plays.

QUOTE (Jaye @ Jun 1 2009, 05:40 PM)

You know I did have this feeling like I was doing it wrong...

Sakes laugh.gif

Neil does show enthusiasm sometimes. Sure, he is no Keith Moon of enthusiasm (A 'The Seeker' Video springs to mind from Moon), but he does show it on occasion.

Neil's playing style requires immense concentration, and energy, as CygXanTor said, his enthusiasm is how he plays, not how he behaves [whilst playing] and you would all be complaining if he was messing everything up live because he was showing off...

You are all entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion he does have enthusiasm for what he does, otherwise he wouldn't have came back for Vapor Trails, after his tragedies. Personally, if I had no enthusiasm for something, I wouldn't do it again if I had a choice.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 30 2009, 12:18 AM)
I know about the wide spread, um, negative perception that seems to circulate about Neil Peart. But, I have to admit that when I started listening to Rush, I couldn't have given a rat's patootie about the other two in the band. I was drawn by the drums. I don't know why. I can't and don't play the drums. I couldn't if I tried, nor do I wish to. But, to this dayI wish that I had camera shots of just Neil Peart playing. Yes, I LOVE Alex Lifeson. He's an amazing guitar player and an inspiration to generations of musicians. He's some fine eye candy, too. And, Geddy... there aren't words for his talent. But, still I have to say that the only thing that has kept me a Rush fan is Peart's talents as a drummer. Not always as a lyricist, because, let's be honest, he can be silly. But, I'll be damned if I can't get enough of hearing and looking at him playing the drums.

smile.gif

wink.gif All right.

You've got an interesting point about Neil. He's *the drummer* yes.gif

NeilFinal.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ May 30 2009, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (Turn The Page @ May 30 2009, 05:22 PM)
Who is Neil Peart?

Neil Peart is:

A - Pool Cleaner.

B - Cab Driver.

C - Serial Killer.

D - None of the above.

I'm going with choice A; Did I win?!

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sir Lerxst @ Jun 3 2009, 07:19 PM)
Neil does show enthusiasm sometimes. Sure, he is no Keith Moon of enthusiasm (A 'The Seeker' Video springs to mind from Moon), but he does show it on occasion.

Neil's playing style requires immense concentration, and energy, as CygXanTor said, his enthusiasm is how he plays, not how he behaves [whilst playing] and you would all be complaining if he was messing everything up live because he was showing off...

You are all entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion he does have enthusiasm for what he does, otherwise he wouldn't have came back for Vapor Trails, after his tragedies. Personally, if I had no enthusiasm for something, I wouldn't do it again if I had a choice.

goodpost.gif especially the part about how NP would get jumped on if he did "show more enthusiasm". He'd be criticized for not concentrating on his playing. wacko.gif

Archived