MR. BIG

GeddyRulz

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 15 2009, 11:52 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ May 15 2009, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ May 15 2009, 11:44 AM)
R.M. is a great, great drummer. the D.D. are one of the few bands i need to see live before i die
1022.gif

I saw the Dregs open for DT in Denver.

Metaldad, do you recall if Sheehan played with Vai for the G3 tour with John Petrucci? Sheehan played the last time I saw Vai but I can't remember if BS played the G3 show or not?

yep. that is the one g3 tour i saw. they opened up with SHYBOY and SHEEHAN sang it. great show

1022.gif

thanks 1022.gif

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 15 2009, 02:36 AM)
One day I may read a post of yours all the way through...but not today wink.gif

LOL. Now, that's seriously funny. I was pulled out of my angry-at-the-poseurs mode to have a hearty laugh. But, for some reason, it took all the way to the fourth time for it to be funny. I guess that the first three times were just the set-up. With funny, it's all about the timing. I hope this post wasn't too long for you and that you made it to the very end, which is right, right, right, right here.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 15 2009, 05:52 AM)
people like you

C'mon, now. That's just unfair, friend. Do you have any just how many albums that I know, inside and out. To say that I just look at the one or two radio singles does not apply to this particular music fan at all. I know literally thousands of titles. But, the 80's Pop-Poseur bands were just one genre that I didn't want to acquaint myself with any deeper. It wasn't just the power-ballad singles that were for the girls. I think it was the whole kit and kabbodle (I had to look up the spelling for that). This was music for females. Thus, the over-riding femininity of it all. And, I have no issue with females liking and listening to that brand of music. It's only when so-called straight dudes are talking about how great Bon Jovi and Warrant were last night that I take issue.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 06:32 PM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 15 2009, 02:36 AM)

LOL. Now, that's seriously funny. I was pulled out of my angry-at-the-poseurs mode to have a hearty laugh. But, for some reason, it took all the way to the fourth time for it to be funny. I guess that the first three times were just the set-up. With funny, it's all about the timing. I hope this post wasn't too long for you and that you made it to the very end, which is right, right, right, right here.

Well I did read this one all the way through, but now I wish I hadn't bothered.....

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 12:42 PM)
I think it was the whole kit and kabbodle (I had to look up the spelling for that). This was music for females. Thus, the over-riding femininity of it all. And, I have no issue with females liking and listening to that brand of music. It's only when so-called straight dudes are talking about how great Bon Jovi and Warrant were last night that I take issue.

Your dictionary is faulty. It's "kit and caboodle." eyesre4.gif

And so silly music (in your estimation) is okay for FEMALES...I see.

smash.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 15 2009, 12:44 PM)
R.M. is a great, great drummer. the D.D. are one of the few bands i need to see live before i die
1022.gif

Yes you do. I saw them when they released "Bring 'Em Back Alive" and my jaw was on the ground for the whole show. The level of musicianship in that band is ridiculously high.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 15 2009, 07:05 PM)
1022.gif

Yes you do. I saw them when they released "Bring 'Em Back Alive" and my jaw was on the ground for the whole show. The level of musicianship in that band is ridiculously high.

Steve Morse

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

1022.gif

Metaldad, do you recall if Sheehan played with Vai for the G3 tour with John Petrucci? Sheehan played the last time I saw Vai but I can't remember if BS played the G3 show or not?

yep. that is the one g3 tour i saw. they opened up with SHYBOY and SHEEHAN sang it. great show

1022.gif

Speaking of the Dregs, it seems you have seen at least one member play. Didn't Dave LaRue play with Petrucci and Portnoy for that G3 tour?

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 15 2009, 01:02 PM)
I think it was the whole kit and kabbodle (I had to look up the spelling for that).  This was music for females.  Thus, the over-riding femininity of it all.  And, I have no issue with females liking and listening to that brand of music.  It's only when so-called straight dudes are talking about how great Bon Jovi and Warrant were last night that I take issue.

Your dictionary is faulty. It's "kit and caboodle." eyesre4.gif

And so silly music (in your estimation) is okay for FEMALES...I see.

smash.gif

Not, necessarily 'silly'. Just overtly feminine. Those groups did have some feminine ways about them. I don't think that I'd get an arguement from anyone about that. But, that's not to say that all girls went in for that kinda stuff. I had a longterm relationship with a gal during the mid-to-late nineties who was bigtime into Tool, Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden. During the 80's, she was listening to tons of RUSH, The Cure and Tesla. She had no interest in the glossy, Hair Metal bands. And, I dug that 'bout 'er. And, she looked the spittin' image of Jennifer Connelly. And, that helped.

QUOTE (tangy @ May 15 2009, 01:25 PM)
1022.gif

1022.gif

Speaking of the Dregs, it seems you have seen at least one member play. Didn't Dave LaRue play with Petrucci and Portnoy for that G3 tour?

yes.gif and i also saw S.M. with KANSAS and DEEP PURPLE. i also saw R.M with........yep WINGER. they toured with KISS in 1990

QUOTE (Fridge @ May 15 2009, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ May 15 2009, 07:05 PM)
1022.gif

Steve Morse

notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif

Yep. He's been my favorite guitarist since the first time I heard him on the Dregs' Unsung Heroes album. notworthy.gif

people like you

C'mon, now. That's just unfair, friend. Do you have any just how many albums that I know, inside and out. To say that I just look at the one or two radio singles does not apply to this particular music fan at all. I know literally thousands of titles. But, the 80's Pop-Poseur bands were just one genre that I didn't want to acquaint myself with any deeper. It wasn't just the power-ballad singles that were for the girls. I think it was the whole kit and kabbodle (I had to look up the spelling for that). This was music for females. Thus, the over-riding femininity of it all. And, I have no issue with females liking and listening to that brand of music. It's only when so-called straight dudes are talking about how great Bon Jovi and Warrant were last night that I take issue.

I hate both Bon Jovi and Warrant. I hate Poison and Cinderella and Ratt. And probably every "hair band" you can name.

Mr. Big and Extreme were different. There was virtuosic musicianship, a'la Van Halen or Vai or Satriani.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 16 2009, 07:04 AM)
people like you

I hate both Bon Jovi and Warrant. I hate Poison and Cinderella and Ratt. And probably every "hair band" you can name.

Mr. Big and Extreme were different. There was virtuosic musicianship, a'la Van Halen or Vai or Satriani.

GR has a point, but I still feel bands like Extreme and Mr Big straddled the line a bit too much. Those other bands sure suck the big one alright, but Ratt??? Nah, they had some serious musicianship going on as well. Its a shame theyre lumped in with all that other lame-o power-ballad sell-out brigade, as that wasn't what they were really about. At least not for the first few years.

Interesting that you mention Extreme, because Mr. Big and Extreme have a lot in common: they both made it big with ONE BALLAD on pop radio, and everybody associates that ballad with that band, when in fact the members of both bands can f***ing ROCK.  Anyone who bought the full Extreme or Mr. Big albums expecting more stuff like "More Than Words" and "To Be With You" was sorely disappointed, because the rest of the songs were much harder.  Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert, and Billy Sheehan can shred.

This is just how it was with "metal" or hard rock bands in the 80s.  Release an album of hard rock music but include at least ONE BALLAD for pop radio airplay.  The one song becomes a pop hit, girls buy your album, and you sell thousands of copies.  It was the formula for commercial success... even though the rest of the record was too hard for commercial airplay.  Bon Jovi STILL uses this formula.

And I'd lay off the hair cracks.  It was just the times.  Van Halen looked the same way; are you also going to denigrate EDDIE'S talent, just because HE had long hair???  There was real talent in some of those 80s hair bands; in addition to Bettencourt, Gilbert, and Sheehan, there were also excellent guitarists like Reb Beach (Winger), George Lynch (Dokken), and even Brad Gillis (Night Ranger).  Okay, so maybe the bands were a little lame, but those guys could play.

For some reason I've always kind lumped Extreme and Mr. Big together too. I've always kind of felt bad for Extreme as their biggest success came from a song that was out of character for them. If I'm remembering right they didn't even care for it themselves but were "encouraged" to go ahead and do it anyways.

Maybe I have a soft spot for Billy Sheehan as I grew up with Buffalo radio stations and TV and knew who he was even before Mr. Big asTalas used to get a lot of airplay on the stations up there. Mr. Big has a lot more to them than "To Be With You"

Two bands with similar situations in that they are best know for the music that doesn't really represent the rest of their catalog.

As for Bon Jovi.. well, just can't stand that one!

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 15 2009, 02:04 PM)
people like you

Nah, no, I hear vatcha saying there, MC Geds. Myself, more so than others here should understand precisely this thing that you say....and, I shouldn't be jumpin' the gun towards any quick conclusions. I say, "Myself above others". Because I 'memba getting awfully, awfully bent out of proportion when folks would say, "Oh, Queensryche. They were a Hair Band, weren't they?" Oh, that would git right down under a fella's skin, that statement right there. People used to just lump everything in togther back then, and I guess I myself isn't immune to that type of ideology.

Fact of the matter is that the whole second half of the 1980's were pretty awful and everything began sounding and looking the same - - Bad. I was watching a 'Heart' video the other day and wondered why they too weren't considered as a Hair Metal group. If you see a vid of theirs, they definitely had the look going on, and their music was just as 'light' and 'Poppy' as many of the other groups who were being labeled as such. There really was no difference...But, I digress, no?

I'm talking about how unfair it is to thrown everyone under the same umbrella, just because of how much 'Aqua Net' a band had stocked underneath their tour bus. Queensryche's music was miles ahead of the hair bands, yet they wore some hairspray and eyeliner too. Um, Telsa was a band that sometimes got lumped in as well, and they merely just had long hair. They didn't go in for the hairspray or makeup or ridiculous clothes or nuthin'. And, their music was somewhere between Aerosmith and G n' R. That was a good band there, that Tesla. Yessiree.

And, Whitesnake also got lumped into that mob of Hair bands. But, with them, some kind of managerial, marketing choice pushed them more and more towards that look and sound. They weren't that to begin with. And, their sound wasn't even really that radically altered when the day was done. Some producer just had his way with the knobs and buttons in the studio and glossed them up a bit.

But, the further you move back in time with Whitesnake, the more the band starts sounding like Bad Company. And, if you move back in time far enough, they start to sound like 'Free'. A band that I'm absolutely ga-ga over right now. Coverdale has had a fine and solid career as a singer/songwriter. But, because the guy had one stinkin' video with a chick draped across his windshield, he'll forever be associated with that particular era of music.

So, I undersand whacha saying their with the Extreme and Mr. Big. I must give them a fair chance, apart from the era that spawned them. I wrote somewhere on some recent thread that I was very, very impressed with what Extreme did on the day of the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, back during 1993 or so. Him and Nuno owned the stage that day and delivered a commanding performance. I likened it to how Queen owned the stage at Live Aid. Extreme was awesome that day. And, I think that Cherone would have been the wise replacement for Mercury. I just didn't think that Mr. Big was of similiar caliber.

Yeah, Extreme were great that day. Good performances, first by the whole band (doing a Queen medley if I recall) and later by Gary Cherone singing "Hammer to Fall" with Queen backing him.

Nuno Bettencourt is a huge Queen fan, and Brian May was one of his guitar influences. Nuno and Brian became friends, and Brian said that Extreme were the band that most understood what Queen were about.

Great band, huge talent - PG is my favourite guitarist for many reasons, Sheehan is up there as one of the best rock bassists, and Kotzen is a great player as well. Unfortunatly, for every good song they did, theres at least one terrible one. PGs playing for Mr Big was ridiculous at times, he played some crazy stuff

Now, it's a funny lil' thing thacha bring up the band, EXTREME, because they jus' so happen to have a semi-new release called, 'Saudades de Rock'. Since I pride myself on being fair and non-biased, I am currently givin' it a shot.

The album can be heard in its entirety here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Extreme/Saudades+De+Rock

http://www.imeem.com/tag/Saudades%20de%20Rock/

QUOTE (PhilCastro @ May 15 2009, 01:42 AM)
QUOTE (Fridge @ May 15 2009, 03:36 AM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 15 2009, 07:33 AM)
All I remember about The Big Misters was that 'a capella' tune they did which followed shortly after Extreme's big power ballad, whatever that name might be.  One certainly does not get the impression of musical virtuosity from that particular single.  In fact, I don't even remember any instrumentation at all.

I don't know who's biased towards what here or what's biased towards whom.  But, the Supergroups I just named above makes those other 80's bands look simply silly.  I'll admit that I haven't heard full albums from these artists, other than the first, full Damn Yankees outing.  Yet, it would be awfully ridiculous to put that album up against the debut, Audioslave or Perfect Circle albums.  To me, these are pure art with loads of musical integrity and ingenuity.  To me, the others are sing-along camp-fire music, very weak on instrumentation and heart. 

I'm sorry, I just can not let go of my disdain for that entire musical era.  And, I think I do have a serious right to be aggrieved.  They (the media) force-fed us SO MUCH of that stuff on a daily basis when I was a teen, that you ust couldn't help but to develop a negative attitude towards it.

** Most musical historians are in agreement with me that this entire era was a triumph of style over substance.  And, that the Grunge artists of a few years later, were the complete antithesis to them.  The MTV generation had produced a style of music that was HIGHLY dependent upon image.  And, any time you take the focus off the music itself and re-direct it to the musicians, you have a recipe for shallow, mindless entertainment.

I think it's pretty safe to say that I never will no.gif

laugh.gif

add me to the list......

Archived