Star Trek (2009)

Kudzu

RockTheCradle (my wife) and I saw the movie today and thought it was a great re-telling of a story with which many of us who follow science fiction find ourselves all too familiar.

Good character development, plenty of action and just the right amount of tension between folks we'd come to know and love make this a great work.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 24 2009, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2009, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ May 17 2009, 05:51 AM)
and I think they also should have made Kirk's character a bit more admirable.  He was a drunken womanizer with good instincts according to this storyline, instead of the exemplary cadet that outshined the rest of them all in TOS.

Keep in mind that in the alternate reality of this story, Kirk grew up without a father, which made him more rebellious and angry and damaged and lost, so his character was bound to be a bit more extreme and unstable. I think the whole point was that he WAS less stable and more unhinged, but his natural abilities were still there, and they came out when they were needed.

Let me try and get this straight, Sporto. I thought that it was the intervention of Nero that caused the divergence in the flow of time and history. About an hour into the film, I thought Spock explains this to us. But, you're saying what exactly here? You're saying that in the alternate reality of this alternate storyline, Kirk grows up without a father. So, I assume that in the Shatner version, the Kirk character is NOT deprived of a Pop. So, what causes the loss of his father in this movie's opening scene? Is the opening of the movie meant to be the divergence point, the fork in the road, Sporto?

Yeah they say something like Kirk's dad lived to see him graduate the academy before Nero screwed everything up by destroying the Kelvin.

Awesome movie BTW, I'm seeing it again Wednesday smile.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ May 25 2009, 07:22 AM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 24 2009, 10:07 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 17 2009, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ May 17 2009, 05:51 AM)
and I think they also should have made Kirk's character a bit more admirable.  He was a drunken womanizer with good instincts according to this storyline, instead of the exemplary cadet that outshined the rest of them all in TOS.

Keep in mind that in the alternate reality of this story, Kirk grew up without a father, which made him more rebellious and angry and damaged and lost, so his character was bound to be a bit more extreme and unstable. I think the whole point was that he WAS less stable and more unhinged, but his natural abilities were still there, and they came out when they were needed.

Let me try and get this straight, Sporto. I thought that it was the intervention of Nero that caused the divergence in the flow of time and history. About an hour into the film, I thought Spock explains this to us. But, you're saying what exactly here? You're saying that in the alternate reality of this alternate storyline, Kirk grows up without a father. So, I assume that in the Shatner version, the Kirk character is NOT deprived of a Pop. So, what causes the loss of his father in this movie's opening scene? Is the opening of the movie meant to be the divergence point, the fork in the road, Sporto?

Yeah they say something like Kirk's dad lived to see him graduate the academy before Nero screwed everything up by destroying the Kelvin.

Exactly. In the original series Kirk's father is alive, in the new movie his father dies saving everyone else in the opening sequence as his son is being born.

Spock's divergence was at first having to go with the fleet prematurely to go after Nero, but especially watching his planet destroyed, along with his mother as he saves a bare handful of Vulcans. That's enough to f*ck with anyone's psyche, even a Vulcan.

And now everyone's fate is different - all the cadets got thrust out into space, and into their roles, a lot sooner then they would have otherwise, and they've all dealt with tragedy of almost unimaginable proportions. It's a whole new world now...

P.S. SPORTO???

Dude, time to pass on your Breakfast Club DVD on to a niece or nephew. tongue.gif

Edited by rushgoober

Just an aside: the movie was very entertaining but....Nimoy very nearly ruined the movie for me. A more wooden and laconic actor there is not.

My dream sci-fi movie now is a Star Wars/Trek space-time continuum snafu where Yoda finally kills the old bastard.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 28 2009, 07:13 PM)
I'm currently trying my darndest to get through 'The Wrath Of Khan'. It's a two hour joint and I've watched it in four segments already.....That brings me square up to the One Hour mark...Not very exciting, me thinks. A Trekkie, I shall not be.

if you no likey kahn, a trekkie you not be no.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 28 2009, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ May 27 2009, 08:37 PM)
Bones kicks ass.

Yes, Urban was great...stole every scene he was in.

Damn it Spock! I'm a doctor not a physicist!

One of the best lines in the movie, clearly referencing DeForest Kelley's classic catch phrase from the original series. I loved the scene when McCoy smuggles Kirk on board the Enterprise as a patient under his care, and Bones' is walking around with his medicine kit constantly giving Kirk shots for his symptoms. One of the funniest scenes in the movie and it also showed the great chemistry between Pine and Urban on screen. Great characters all around.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ May 28 2009, 09:13 PM)
I'm currently trying my darndest to get through 'The Wrath Of Khan'. It's a two hour joint and I've watched it in four segments already.....That brings me square up to the One Hour mark...Not very exciting, me thinks. A Trekkie, I shall not be.

If you don't like TWOK then you probably won't like the rest of them. Khan's my favorite, and this new one's probably #2. I just saw it again a 2nd time this past Wednesday. I think it's a classic ST movie already, I'm so psyched for a sequel. smile.gif

Oh and for the record when Scotty said "I'M A GIVIN' IT ALL SHE'S GOT CAPTAIN!!" I laughed both times.

I loved it...laughed a lot too...great writing too...a great movie...the best of all the Star Trek movies.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ May 29 2009, 12:12 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 28 2009, 05:39 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ May 27 2009, 08:37 PM)
Bones kicks ass.

Yes, Urban was great...stole every scene he was in.

Damn it Spock! I'm a doctor not a physicist!

One of the best lines in the movie, clearly referencing DeForest Kelley's classic catch phrase from the original series. I loved the scene when McCoy smuggles Kirk on board the Enterprise as a patient under his care, and Bones' is walking around with his medicine kit constantly giving Kirk shots for his symptoms. One of the funniest scenes in the movie and it also showed the great chemistry between Pine and Urban on screen. Great characters all around.

Just saw the movie, and I agree that Bones was the best character. Young Spock was good, too, as was Chekov.

I enjoyed the humor, most of the action (great corvette scene!), but fell asleep in a couple of parts (that Ice planet StarWars rip-off stuff, with old Spock preaching).

Good summer flick.

Wasn't sure I would like it, given how much of a traditionalist I can be when it comes to Star Trek.

But I really thought they did a good job with the movie! This is one I would buy when it came out on DVD.

The only thing that I did not like, was the love connection between Spock and Uhura......MUST every movie that is released by Hollywood have such love/sex elements in it now? It sure seems that way.

But overall, most excellent, and one I will be seeing again.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ May 27 2009, 07:24 PM)
Just an aside: the movie was very entertaining but....Nimoy very nearly ruined the movie for me. A more wooden and laconic actor there is not.

My dream sci-fi movie now is a Star Wars/Trek space-time continuum snafu where Yoda finally kills the old bastard.

Nimoy very nearly ruined the movie for me. A more wooden and laconic actor there is not.

I'm not so sure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/christopher_lambert.jpg

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 30 2009, 03:53 PM)

Nimoy very nearly ruined the movie for me. A more wooden and laconic actor there is not.

I'm not so sure.

Ill top that.

http://lightscamerahistory.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/keanureeves.jpg

QUOTE (Alex @ Jul 1 2009, 05:58 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jun 30 2009, 03:53 PM)

I'm not so sure.

Ill top that.

http://lightscamerahistory.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/keanureeves.jpg

this is easily the winner yes.gif

Ummm. Nimoy played the original Spock who was completely in control of his emotions so he is obviously going to be wooden. Its Spock for crying out loud! confused13.gif

Plus Nimoy himself is what, 80 at least? It was probably hard for him just to get into that parka let alone do all his lines. tongue.gif

I recently saw this myself, a friend brought it over last week. Now, I've never been a Trekkie but I was very impressed with this movie. I think what made it work so well as opposed to the other Trek movies was that there was no preachy message and they instead focused on telling a good military science fiction story. They are all to be congratulated. I can't really get past Kirk being promoted from Cadet to Captain just like that, but I can overlook it if the next movie is as good.

Oh, and someone tell Zoe Saldana to eat a friggin' sandwich for Pete's sake!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 23 2009, 04:44 PM)
I can't really get past Kirk being promoted from Cadet to Captain just like that, but I can overlook it if the next movie is as good.

Well, you know. They needed to save the world and stuff. tongue.gif

I agree. I love this movie. I thought the guy who played Kirk did an amazing job as well.