Your favorite Jesus film

Tom Sawyer

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Life of Brian.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 10 2009, 03:17 PM)
I haven't seen a lot, but one of my favorite movies of all time is easily The Last Temptation of Christ.

I hope this thread lasts and doesn't become too religious.

Loved it. Remarkable film. And Peter Gabriel's soundtrack is a masterpiece. It is truly the best work he's ever done, IMO.

Guess someone has to say it but "passion of christ" - No Jesus film highlights the severity of what he went through that night to die for our sins - Yes it may have been a little over the top but the Romans were brutal - Had to admit it made me shed a few tears -

I haven't seen a lot, but one of my favorite movies of all time is easily The Last Temptation of Christ.

Really? I watched it after a 20 year gap and found it dated and miscast. It's nowhere near Scorsese's best work, IMO.

My vote goes to both The Passion of the Christ and The Life of Brian. What a great double feature!

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Apr 10 2009, 07:43 PM)
Guess someone has to say it but "passion of christ" - No Jesus film highlights the severity of what he went through that night to die for our sins - Yes it may have been a little over the top but the Romans were brutal - Had to admit it made me shed a few tears -

I agree...awesome film.

QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 10 2009, 07:59 PM)

I agree...awesome film.

I have to admit, Passion was a good movie, but I couldn't stop bawlin' when they started to crucify Christ...

I don't think I could ever watch that movie again...

Edited by PanaceaFish

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 10 2009, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Apr 10 2009, 02:24 PM)
The Life of Brian.

MINE TOO!!!

"Blessed are the cheesemakers" biggrin.gif

It's not to be taken literally. He means makers of ALL dairy products.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 10 2009, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 10 2009, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (Prince Sphinc-Tor @ Apr 10 2009, 02:24 PM)
The Life of Brian.

MINE TOO!!!

"Blessed are the cheesemakers" biggrin.gif

It's not to be taken literally. He means makers of ALL dairy products.

laugh.gif

z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif z7shysterical.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 10 2009, 04:33 PM)

Loved it. Remarkable film. And Peter Gabriel's soundtrack is a masterpiece. It is truly the best work he's ever done, IMO.

A powerful and moving film IMHO. yes.gif

QUOTE (PanaceaFish @ Apr 11 2009, 12:54 PM)
QUOTE (vital signz @ Apr 10 2009, 07:59 PM)

I agree...awesome film.

I have to admit, Passion was a good movie, but I couldn't stop bawlin' when they started to crucify Christ...

I don't think I could ever watch that movie again...

That doesn't need to be seen again.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 10 2009, 08:26 PM)

I saw "Temptation" once. Thought it was pretty good artistically.

I'm trying to remember the lead who played Jesus.

Can see his face, but can't remmember his name.

If I recall the story right, it focused on the the things that Jesus gave up to fulfill his mission. Namely, a wife and child.

The real temptation was not having a "normal life". Right?

The visual of the little girl pulling the nails out was really powerful.

She was suppose to be the devil? She was the temptation?

QUOTE (Inthend @ Apr 10 2009, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 10 2009, 08:26 PM)

I saw "Temptation" once. Thought it was pretty good artistically.

I'm trying to remember the lead who played Jesus.

Can see his face, but can't remmember his name.

If I recall the story right, it focused on the the things that Jesus gave up to fulfill his mission. Namely, a wife and child.

The real temptation was not having a "normal life". Right?

The visual of the little girl pulling the nails out was really powerful.

She was suppose to be the devil? She was the temptation?

Willem Dafoe played Jesus. And yes, the little girl was an incarnation of Satan. "She" changes back to a flame (an earlier identity) when Jesus is dying and the world is falling apart as a result of Jesus giving in to temptation.

I thought it did a good job of showing the humanity of Jesus. The divine nature triumphs at the end.

Rarely do people stop to consider what might have happened if God had "taken this cup" from his son.

QUOTE (Steevo @ Apr 10 2009, 05:48 PM)
All out seriously probably Jesus of Nazareth with Robert Powell. Its a bit dated but has a great cast and is the one that has remained for me.

I think I've seen that one before - great movie! yes.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 11 2009, 05:14 AM)
I always liked Jesus Christ Superstar. Haven't seen it in ages, but way back in the day it made quite an impression on me.

Aw I'm so glad someone mentioned it! I love it. Very well made and I absolutely love the rock-opera itself, althought it's about the only Lloyd Webber thing I can be bothered with. I wasn't too keen on Jesus's singing, but it's always hard to try fill Gillan's shoes. To think, I saw the film first and then heard the original version actually, and I have to say in retrospect everything in the film apart from Jesus's vocals seems an improvement to me...