Favourite disbanded teams?

Slime

Hmm...good question.

Well, although I am NOT a baseball fan at all, I always had a soft spot for the MONTREAL EXPOS as well. If it wasn't for that strike in 1994, who knows if the Expos' fortunes may have changed. They were leading the league before the strike happened, and there was a good possibility that they may have competed in the World Series.

Also, long before my beloved Raptors came into existance in the NBA, I was a huge fan of the CHARLOTTE HORNETS. Loved everything about that team, back when Alonzo Mourning, Larry Johnson, and Mugsy Bogues were donning the teal and purple!

Oh, and just for the sheer love of their jerseys, I also miss the HARTFORD WHALERS, QUEBEC NORDIQUES, and MINNESOTA NORTH STARS! All very cool. yes.gif

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/spirit3trails/untitled.jpg

I have a closet full of defunct Cleveland hockey jerseys.

The Crusaders one of my favorites loved the WHA.

More teams i supported over the years and no longer around..

*NHL- Cleveland Barons

*NHL- Minnesota North Stars

IHL- Cleveland Lumberjacks

AHL- Cleveland Barons

I hope i'm not putting a jinx on the Lake Erie Monsters(AHL) just bought a jersey., being the farm club for Colorado is a jinx in it's self. four years stuck with them,hopefully we can survive that long, liked to see Monsters affilated with BlueJackets in the near future.

* Followed the NHL Barons merge with North Stars *

Some decent teams in early 80's Losing to Islanders in finals 1981? and that improbable Stanley Cup run in 1990/91 was exciting losing to Pens in six DAMN MARIO!

angry.gif tongue.gif

I became a Colorado Avalanche fan due to being a Quebec Nordiques fan (due to Lerxst wearing the road Nordiques jersey on the GUP tour)

Cleveland Browns..

I don't know who these horrid imposters are we been suffering with for 11 years now! 062802puke_prv.gif

#1 would be the recently defunct Tampa Bay Mutiny. I used to go to every game.

Otherwise there is a soft spot for the North Stars and Nordiques. In fact, I have a t-shirt for each team and often get asked about them.

If we are not limited to professional sports mine would probably be my hometown North Bay Centennials from Ontario Hockey League (Junior hockey). They made a memorable playoff run in '93-'94 season winning the league championship in overtime of game 7 of finals (which I attended). It was a GREAT series. Unfortunately they didn't fare well in Memroial Cup tourney that year.

They were coached by the late Bert Templeton who is considered a legend in the league.

The Cents were moved to Saginaw, Michigan to become The Spirit in 2002. They were just recently swept 4 straight in OHL playoffs by my newly adopted OHL team the London Knights (my current home).

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt299/horndog3009/ohl-centennialsmint.jpg

Montreal Expos.

Winnipeg Jets.

Le Nordique du Quebec.

It was also sad when the North Stars left Minny, but happy when they got the Wild.

Didn't even bat an eyelash when the Grizzlies left Vancouver for Memphis, since I couldn't give two flying shits about basketball.

QUOTE (goose @ Apr 11 2009, 01:06 AM)
Still bummed about the LA Rams leaving town. (I know...let it go.)

I'm still flabergasted that the number 2 market in the United States still doesn't have an NFL team.......or two.

How is this even possible?

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 9 2009, 01:09 PM)
The Charlestown Chiefs sad.gif

they got screwed.

did they end up in Florida??????

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/ErikMBarr/Authentic%20Jerseys/DSC03177.jpg

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Apr 11 2009, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Apr 9 2009, 01:09 PM)
The Charlestown Chiefs sad.gif

they got screwed.

did they end up in Florida??????

No, they moved north and west to become the Minnesota Nighthawks.

Or as the story went.

I can think of a few...

1) The first incarnation of the Miami Marlins, which was an AAA team that played in the old International League. They themselves were the transplanted Syracuse Chiefs. After about 5-6 years in Miami, they moved to San Juan, PR then to Charleston, WV. After a stop in Atlanta, they spent 43 years in Richmond, VA. Now they are the transplanted Gwinnett Braves, scheduled to open here on April 17.

2) A team that never saw action: The Miami Screaming Eagles of the WHA. They had uniforms and an arena, but no players.

3) Fort Lauderdale Strikers: Owned by Joe Robbie's son Tim, they played at Lockhart Stadium from 1970's until 1985, when Tim sold them an the team was moved to Minnesota.

The Rochester Royals. Old nba team and the only professional sports team we have had in rochester. Won the title way back when rochester was actually a nice city. Needless to say it sucks here now and the team has been gone for a while now. Turned in to the Sacramento Kings and we all know how well they did this year. Actually we don't and thats my point no one knows the team even exists. For the record they went 16-65

Memphis Showboats of the USFL.

It was a fun team to follow, even though I had to keep my support under wraps. I covered the Showboats for the Oxford, Mississippi, newspaper, and I didn't want readers to think I was a "homer" in my coverage.

I was a college student covering pro football, interviewing the likes of Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, Steve Young and Doug Flutie. Those guys aren't that much older than me, so I followed their careers after the USFL folded.

It was fascinating to see White preaching the gospel from his corner of the Showboats locker room after a home win while a few feet away players were boozing it up. Pepper Rodgers, the head coach, was one interesting character to deal with. I became good friends with Jim Miller, the 'Boats barefooted punter and a fellow Ole Miss man.

Another fun thing about covering the USFL in Memphis: The team served beer in the press box. trink39.gif

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Apr 11 2009, 09:46 AM)
QUOTE (goose @ Apr 11 2009, 01:06 AM)
Still bummed about the LA Rams leaving town.  (I know...let it go.)

I'm still flabergasted that the number 2 market in the United States still doesn't have an NFL team.......or two.

How is this even possible?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (tupelobarchetta @ Apr 14 2009, 10:05 PM)
Memphis Showboats of the USFL.

It was a fun team to follow, even though I had to keep my support under wraps. I covered the Showboats for the Oxford, Mississippi, newspaper, and I didn't want readers to think I was a "homer" in my coverage.

I was a college student covering pro football, interviewing the likes of Reggie White, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, Steve Young and Doug Flutie. Those guys aren't that much older than me, so I followed their careers after the USFL folded.

It was fascinating to see White preaching the gospel from his corner of the Showboats locker room after a home win while a few feet away players were boozing it up. Pepper Rodgers, the head coach, was one interesting character to deal with. I became good friends with Jim Miller, the 'Boats barefooted punter and a fellow Ole Miss man.

Another fun thing about covering the USFL in Memphis: The team served beer in the press box. trink39.gif

That's great. goodpost.gif

USFL wasn't George Allen commissioner?

Archived