Metallica gets into...

Tick

At what point did Metallica say to themselves. Lets stop making good music, and totally sell out and make crappy albums for the next 20 years. Then maybe we will get into the rock and roll hall of fame. Hey, guess what guys, it worked !

If thats what it takes, no wonder why Rush, Kansas, Yes, Jethro Tull, and others are still on the outside looking it.

What a joke. If Mettalica kept making good records, they would probably been long since forgotten.

I guess when they made the album "Load" they were telling us what we would get from them for the remainder of there career.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 6 2009, 10:59 AM)
beathorse.gif schla03.gif

Go away please.

Why do people call the RnRHOF a pile of crap, but then complain about Rush not being inducted? Same thing goes with the Grammy's too...

I can see exactly why Metallica was inducted. I can also sit here and make a good point on why Rush should be inducted, but I won't. The big reason why Metallica was inducted is simple. Their influence and impact on the heavy metal genre. Think about it. When you go up to 90% of the bands out there today within the metal genre and ask them who a big influence on them was, I can guarantee you that they'll list Metallica as one of them. So what if they've released a few bad albums over the last 20 years? So has Rush. It happens to every band.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 6 2009, 01:05 PM)
Why do people call the RnRHOF a pile of crap

Read the list of its enductees. Nuff said. I think a rock and roll hall of fame is an awesome idea. Its just being f*cked up badly. Its a shame, and thats why people complain.

When a band like Rush in on the outside looking in, but some old blind black blues artist who played the washboard is in, its a joke, and a travesty, and deserves to be mocked on a daily basis.

People are not against a rock hall of fame, just the joke that it is.

Rush are my favourite band by some distance, but Metallica are more deserving of a spot in the rock and roll hall of fame, even if said foundation was not stuipidly incompetent.

I'm positive Rush'll be inducted within the next 5 or 10 years, and deservedly so.

Well, there are two things I will say here.

1) RUSH not being in the HOF is a travesty, but that's obvious. We've been there many, many times. Metallica themselves, have continuously dropped RUSH's name in all their interviews.

BTW...for anyone who didn't see their induction speech, check out James' speech. Right on the "big stage", he put Rush's name out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jz96Ry4pUg&feature=related

2) METALLICA BELONGS IN THE HOF.

There are very few bands over the last few years that I would say are worthy of true HOF status, but Metallica are definitely one of them. Van Halen also comes to mind. yes.gif

I don't care if people want to bash the Black Album, Load, ReLoad, or whatever. Personally, I loved all of those albums. Did they change their style over the years? Absolutely. Some still loved it (like ME), and some hated it. But that's okay. Even if for any reason you hated those 90's albums, you can certainly still admit that those first four albums (Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All) are all Metal Classics.

I also personally enjoyed Death Magnetic. It's great to see them getting inducted right after putting out a pretty solid effort IMO.

I've never looked at the band as "sell outs". I personally, don't believe in that "stay true to your roots" crap. The band decided to go in a different direction after ...AJFA, and there are over 22 million reasons why it was a great choice. I don't look at the Black Album as a "sellout", I look at it as a f'n great album. To this day, it's still one of my most played albums, and I think it showed that they were capable of changing direction.

As RUSH fans, we should see the good from that. We love a band that constantly changes from album-to-album, and we never call it selling out. If Rush's next album suddenly sold 22 million copies, would we call it selling out?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys that believes in sales numbers as factors that determine your greatness. But come on, they're probably the biggest selling metal band of all-time, they tour all-around the world to multiple sold out shows even today, and they are well-known to everyone, even those who hate their music. You hear the name Metallica, you immediately think "BIG".

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or anything. I'm just saying, IMO, whether you love them or hate them, METALLICA is well-deserving of being in the HOF. Before Rush? Obviously not...but they themselves would agree, and it's not their fault that the morons who select the bands constantly overlook not only RUSH, but tons of other very deserving bands! The same can be said for KISS. Whether you hate them or not, how can anyone say they don't deserve entry into the Hall? That's ludicrous.

This is all just my opinion though! trink39.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 09:09 AM)
I guess when they made the album "Load" they were telling us what we would get from them for the remainder of there career.

BTW...as much as I LOVE Load, I can tell you that they sure didn't get into the HOF because of it.

If anything...it was the BLACK ALBUM. tongue.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 6 2009, 11:05 AM)
Why do people call the RnRHOF a pile of crap, but then complain about Rush not being inducted? Same thing goes with the Grammy's too...

I can see exactly why Metallica was inducted. I can also sit here and make a good point on why Rush should be inducted, but I won't. The big reason why Metallica was inducted is simple. Their influence and impact on the heavy metal genre. Think about it. When you go up to 90% of the bands out there today within the metal genre and ask them who a big influence on them was, I can guarantee you that they'll list Metallica as one of them. So what if they've released a few bad albums over the last 20 years? So has Rush. It happens to every band.

Spot on.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 6 2009, 12:51 PM)
Well, there are two things I will say here.

1) RUSH not being in the HOF is a travesty, but that's obvious. We've been there many, many times. Metallica themselves, have continuously dropped RUSH's name in all their interviews.

BTW...for anyone who didn't see their induction speech, check out James' speech. Right on the "big stage", he put Rush's name out there!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jz96Ry4pUg&feature=related

2) METALLICA BELONGS IN THE HOF.

There are very few bands over the last few years that I would say are worthy of true HOF status, but Metallica are definitely one of them. Van Halen also comes to mind.  yes.gif

I don't care if people want to bash the Black Album, Load, ReLoad, or whatever. Personally, I loved all of those albums. Did they change their style over the years? Absolutely. Some still loved it (like ME), and some hated it. But that's okay. Even if for any reason you hated those 90's albums, you can certainly still admit that those first four albums (Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All) are all Metal Classics.

I also personally enjoyed Death Magnetic. It's great to see them getting inducted right after putting out a pretty solid effort IMO.

I've never looked at the band as "sell outs". I personally, don't believe in that "stay true to your roots" crap. The band decided to go in a different direction after ...AJFA, and there are over 22 million reasons why it was a great choice. I don't look at the Black Album as a "sellout", I look at it as a f'n great album. To this day, it's still one of my most played albums, and I think it showed that they were capable of changing direction.

As RUSH fans, we should see the good from that. We love a band that constantly changes from album-to-album, and we never call it selling out. If Rush's next album suddenly sold 22 million copies, would we call it selling out?

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those guys that believes in sales numbers as factors that determine your greatness. But come on, they're probably the biggest selling metal band of all-time, they tour all-around the world to multiple sold out shows even today, and they are well-known to everyone, even those who hate their music. You hear the name Metallica, you immediately think "BIG".

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass or anything. I'm just saying, IMO, whether you love them or hate them, METALLICA is well-deserving of being in the HOF. Before Rush? Obviously not...but they themselves would agree, and it's not their fault that the morons who select the bands constantly overlook not only RUSH, but tons of other very deserving bands! The same can be said for KISS. Whether you hate them or not, how can anyone say they don't deserve entry into the Hall? That's ludicrous.

This is all just my opinion though!  trink39.gif

well said + 1 trink39.gif 1287.gif

it should be re-named THE MUSIC HALL OF FAME that way when they let rap and dance music in no one will care . let us not forget, it is run by those clueless a-holes at rolling stone

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 6 2009, 02:09 PM)
it should be re-named THE MUSIC HALL OF FAME that way when they let rap and dance music in no one will care . let us not forget, it is run by those clueless a-holes at rolling stone

goodpost.gif

Absolutely. Calling it "The MUSIC Hall of Fame" would end all debates about the crappy artists getting in! 1287.gif

Let me just say, its not Metallica getting in that bothers me, its the fact that its the hall of popularity. Its not about your body of work, its about your pop icon status. Metallica started becoming pop attention whores, making commecials with basketball coaches, and reality type movies.

The hall should be great, but instead, its just a joke.

Ricky Nelson is in the rock and roll hall of fame. Nuff said. eyesre4.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 02:18 PM)
Let me just say, its not Metallica getting in that bothers me, its the fact that its the hall of popularity. Its not about your body of work, its about your pop icon status. Metallica started becoming pop attention whores, making commecials with basketball coaches, and reality type movies.
The hall should be great, but instead, its just a joke.

TICK, you are right . it should have been great but they ruined that a long time ago

1022.gif

For many of the fans of real, authentic Heavy Metal, Metallica's late apology, coming in the form of their last studio outing, has still not been accepted by many of us, viewed by many as 'too little, too late'.

After sucking so profusely, and for so damn long, the implied message behind this last album and tour is that if this band releases one worthy title, this will make-up for two lousy decades worth of abominable music and will lead to everyone embracing them once again. Like, the last 17 years of suckitude just didn't happen.

I for one, scoured Death Magnetic, looking for any simple reason to say, 'Look, look there...They still suck." Well, those moments were definitely to be had. They were still there, although, much, much scarcer than in the past. But, no doubt, there are still sections on that album that scream 'faker'.

But, I guess that even I have forgiven them to a large extent, because I have overlooked those glaring anomalies on this new album which resemble their last debacle, and have focused on the parts which emulate authentic Thrash Metal. And I have seen them live on this present tour.

But, I see Metallica's story as one of injustice. Especially now. But, it's somewhat understandable, considering all the work that was done in their past. The band spent the entire 1980's building for themselves a large and rabid fan base. And, that base was formed on the shoulders of five extremely solid studio outings. But, all the work was done back then, and they've coasted every year since.

All of the Thrash bands that existed way back in the shadow of Metallica during those formative years have now come fully of age and have released material that is not only worthy of competition with Metallica's most recent studio effort, but far surpasses it. Being in line with or surpassing St. Anger was a task that any moronic band could have accomplished. But, competing with or surpassing Death Magnetic takes the skill of a seasoned Thrash master.

It's a cryin' unjust shame that people will grab right for Death Magnetic, but will often overlook the most recent titles by Exodus, Testament, Megadeth, Onslaught and Slayer....All of these, easily laying waste to an album which is great for the millenium version of Metallica, but not altogether 'great'. Please look into these other efforts and witness what Metallica would have been, could have been, if they hadn't been scooped up by American Pop cuture and made a laughing stock.

See...I don't know. Maybe I'm completely alone in this one, but how come people hate Load/ReLoad so much? Seriously...I need to know.

I understand that they are in no way, as heavy or "thrash" as their first 4 albums, but still...with that aside, you guys can't find one good track on either of them?

To me...LOAD is still great. Maybe because it was the first Metallica album that I heard?! confused13.gif Sure, it has a few filler tracks on it, but the standouts more than make up for it.

BLEEDING ME and THE OUTLAW TORN are both outstanding pieces of work IMO. They are heavy, epic, and demonstrate some excellent songwriting from the band. Heck, the lyrics are GREAT on these songs.

I don't talk about St. Anger, as that was the one piece of crap they made in their career. I will never argue that...it's the one Metallica album I don't own, or ever intend to.

Maybe I like Death Magnetic BECAUSE I don't care if it's "trash" or sounds like their earlier works. That crap doesn't matter to me. If it's sounds good to my ears, then I'm happy. I never dwell on the past with any band...so long as I love what I'm hearing, I'm happy.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 10:09 AM)
...and totally sell out and make crappy albums for the next 20 years.

Ironically I think their 80s output sounds MORE mainstream now than anything they did post Black album and their latest album has just gone back to their more accessible roots.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 09:09 AM)
At what point did Metallica say to themselves. Lets stop making good music, and totally sell out and make crappy albums for the next 20 years. Then maybe we will get into the rock and roll hall of fame. Hey, guess what guys, it worked !

1991 lol