Metallica gets into...

Tick

QUOTE (Mustard Death @ Apr 7 2009, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 12:28 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 08:30 AM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 7 2009, 03:11 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 6 2009, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 6 2009, 05:34 PM)
I'm fairly certain it was what you consider their "good albums" (pre Load) that got them into the Rock Hall in the first place, so I don't really see where you're going with this argument. Their influence on metal is arguably unmatched to this day. Also, Master of Puppets is considered by many to be the greatest metal album of all time. No reason Metallica should not be in the Rock Hall.

Oh, and if making crappy albums is what it takes to get into the hall, then Yes should have a one way ticket. They made some really, really shitty albums after Relayer.

Kiss, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Styx, Journey, just to name a few are not in.

Why ? Because they did not become cartoon characters, who attention whored there way in.

"attention whored their way in"........ rofl3.gif

Dude, they are one of the most important Metal bands of ALL TIME. That is a fact.......

Yeah so ? Who gives a shit, thats not why they are where they are, and you know it. Read my last post. It makes perfect sense.

Examine what your saying for a minute and think hard...

The "rock and roll hall of fame" just inducted Metallica.... Say it again. Now say it again. Meditate on it.

Now read my last post again.

Your trying to give credit to a joke museum for getting something right ?

Meditate on that. Its bullshit if you think the reason they put them in is because there astute enough to recognize the brilliance of such an important act. eyesre4.gif You know its bullshit !

The same jackasses who have Ricky Nelson in, and Rush on the outs. wacko.gif

Yup, thats credible ?

Is it a little clearer now. trink38.gif

Are you going to contribute something new to the argument, or are you just going to keep acting like a broken record, repeating the same thing over and over again? So you don't like that Metallica got inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and that Rush hasn't. We get that. So you think the HOF is a joke. We get that too. Here's something I want you to meditate on:

WHO THE f**k CARES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's just music. It's subjective. My ying to your yang. I could sit here and give you an argument as to why I think Mario Lemieux was a better hockey player than Wayne Gretzky, but I won't because it's pointless to and it wouldn't accomplish anything. Why should you care who gets into a Hall of Fame that you keep calling a joke? Should it really matter that much as to who is inducted and who isn't?

The "rock and roll hall of fame" just inducted Metallica.... Say it again. Now say it again. Meditate on it.

And if you really want to get technical, Heavy Metal is a genre that traces it's roots back to Rock N Roll. So technically, any metal band that gets inducted into a "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" would be deserving of the title and the honor. That didn't seem to stop them from inducting Black Sabbath, now did it?

Gretsky was better then Lemieux. No arguement there. eyesre4.gif

Your an arrogant person Kaz, and if you don't like my opinions, tough shit. moon.gif

This coming from someone who refuses to take the other side of debate into question. Kazz hit the nail on the head with everything he's said thus far, and you've come back with nothing but the same old bullshit argument time and time again. Their pre Load material is what made them so well known in the public eye, it's what made them big enough for people to give a shit about them making Some Kind of Monster. You're too arrogant to realize that an artist's "shortcomings" in recent years does not by any means discredit their past work and influence on a genre. You claim that Yes should be in the rock hall, yet they completely conformed to pop culture with albums like Tormato and 90125. Should this discredit classics like Fragile and Close to the Edge? Of course not. I'm not one to bash on others simply based on their opinions, but when your defense has nothing but contradictory support backing your claims, you bring it upon yourself.

I don't care who you think is right. Your all missing the boat, and the point.

I will repeat. Without them posturing to be pop icons, they aint in yet.

The whole forum can disagree for all I care, but it woudn't make you right.

Oh, and Kazz is exactly what I said he is, and I care not if you agree with that either. trink38.gif

When it comes to music, Puppethead, and Kazz are two of the most smug and arrogant on this board. Thats my opinion and once again. I can give two shits if you or anyone else agrees.

Yeah, dodge his Yes reference and namecall.

By the way, if you don't give a couple shits about what anyone else thinks and would rather just throw out insults, don't post on a forum. Talk to yourself.

His Yes refference made no sense ? Tormato ? Thats coforming to pop culture ? wacko.gif How do you respond to that ?

As far as name calling goes.

Puppethead and Kazz have gone into the Dream Theater thread for years just to rip into them, and critisize. Mocking and scoffing constantly.

Thats ok though ?

God forbid anyone says anything negative about Radiohead. eyesre4.gif

I'll speak as I wish Mustard, thank you very much.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 04:28 PM)
When it comes to music, Puppethead, and Kazz are two of the most smug and arrogant on this board. Thats my opinion and once again. I can give two shits if you or anyone else agrees.

Claiming that you're right is just as arrogant as Kazz and PK are about music.

No-one in this debate is right or wrong, because it's just that; a debate. Plus, you're basing your own assumptions on hypothesis. You could be right, but then again you could be wrong when you say Metallica wouldn't be in based on their early albums. It's something no-one will ever know until time machines are invented. And don't come back saying you are right blah blah blah, because you have no concrete proof, just like others arguing the opposite side don't have concrete proof.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 7 2009, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 11:28 AM)
I'm fairly certain it was what you consider their "good albums" (pre Load) that got them into the Rock Hall in the first place, so I don't really see where you're going with this argument. Their influence on metal is arguably unmatched to this day. Also, Master of Puppets is considered by many to be the greatest metal album of all time. No reason Metallica should not be in the Rock Hall.

Oh, and if making crappy albums is what it takes to get into the hall, then Yes should have a one way ticket. They made some really, really shitty albums after Relayer.

Kiss, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Styx, Journey, just to name a few are not in.

Why ? Because they did not become cartoon characters, who attention whored there way in.

Dude, they are one of the most important Metal bands of ALL TIME. That is a fact.......

Yeah so ? Who gives a shit, thats not why they are where they are, and you know it. Read my last post. It makes perfect sense.

Meditate on that. Its bullshit if you think the reason they put them in is because there astute enough to recognize the brilliance of such an important act. eyesre4.gif You know its bullshit !

Yup, thats credible ?

Are you going to contribute something new to the argument, or are you just going to keep acting like a broken record, repeating the same thing over and over again? So you don't like that Metallica got inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and that Rush hasn't. We get that. So you think the HOF is a joke. We get that too. Here's something I want you to meditate on:

It's just music. It's subjective. My ying to your yang. I could sit here and give you an argument as to why I think Mario Lemieux was a better hockey player than Wayne Gretzky, but I won't because it's pointless to and it wouldn't accomplish anything. Why should you care who gets into a Hall of Fame that you keep calling a joke? Should it really matter that much as to who is inducted and who isn't?

And if you really want to get technical, Heavy Metal is a genre that traces it's roots back to Rock N Roll. So technically, any metal band that gets inducted into a "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" would be deserving of the title and the honor. That didn't seem to stop them from inducting Black Sabbath, now did it?

Your an arrogant person Kaz, and if you don't like my opinions, tough shit. moon.gif

This coming from someone who refuses to take the other side of debate into question. Kazz hit the nail on the head with everything he's said thus far, and you've come back with nothing but the same old bullshit argument time and time again. Their pre Load material is what made them so well known in the public eye, it's what made them big enough for people to give a shit about them making Some Kind of Monster. You're too arrogant to realize that an artist's "shortcomings" in recent years does not by any means discredit their past work and influence on a genre. You claim that Yes should be in the rock hall, yet they completely conformed to pop culture with albums like Tormato and 90125. Should this discredit classics like Fragile and Close to the Edge? Of course not. I'm not one to bash on others simply based on their opinions, but when your defense has nothing but contradictory support backing your claims, you bring it upon yourself.

Oh, and Kazz is exactly what I said he is, and I care not if you agree with that either. trink38.gif

I absolutely love the fact that you had to change the subject of the argument to me and puppetking being arrogant. That just goes to show how stupid this argument really has become. It seems like you're taking this a little too personal buddy. Maybe I'm wrong, in which that case I would love to be proven wrong.

Seriously? I'm arrogant? That's the best you can come up with? I dunno. I've studied music my entire life and I make my living based around music. Maybe I am arrogant. I'll take it as a compliment if I am. I could easily turn around and say the same thing about you, because you've most definitely shown qualities of arrogance, but I won't. Why? Because it's silly and childish to do so.

Again, I'll ask you this question because you keep dancing around it and not giving a straight answer: Why should you even care who gets in to the HOF when you call it a pile of crap?

Raise your hand if you think Nirvana will make it into the RRHOF before Rush.
laugh.gif Me.

I did answer your question Kazz. I said, I hate the fact it is a pile of crap, and want it to be what it should have been. Thats why it bothers me. The reason I call you arrogant is because you have made your snide comments in the DT thread for years, just as you did in this thread. As far as you being a musician, what bearing does that have on your opinions ? That makes them more relevant then a non musician ?

I've been a musician over 20 years, I guess my opinions just got more relevant.

Its nice that you think your taking the high road, but your post was still arrogant.

trink38.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 7 2009, 12:48 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 11:28 AM)

Yup, thats credible ?

I absolutely love the fact that you had to change the subject of the argument to me and puppetking being arrogant. That just goes to show how stupid this argument really has become. It seems like you're taking this a little too personal buddy. Maybe I'm wrong, in which that case I would love to be proven wrong.

Seriously? I'm arrogant? That's the best you can come up with? I dunno. I've studied music my entire life and I make my living based around music. Maybe I am arrogant. I'll take it as a compliment if I am. I could easily turn around and say the same thing about you, because you've most definitely shown qualities of arrogance, but I won't. Why? Because it's silly and childish to do so.

Again, I'll ask you this question because you keep dancing around it and not giving a straight answer: Why should you even care who gets in to the HOF when you call it a pile of crap?

Raise your hand if you think Nirvana will make it into the RRHOF before Rush.
laugh.gif Me.

I did answer your question Kazz. I said, I hate the fact it is a pile of crap, and want it to be what it should have been. Thats why it bothers me. The reason I call you arrogant is because you have made your snide comments in the DT thread for years, just as you did in this thread. As far as you being a musician, what bearing does that have on your opinions ? That makes them more relevant then a non musician ?

I've been a musician over 20 years, I guess my opinions just got more relevant.

Its nice that you think your taking the high road, but your post was still arrogant.

trink38.gif

And what I said about Dream Theater 4 years ago has what to do with what we're talking about now? Oh yeah, that's right. My arrogance. Like I said, maybe I am arrogant. That's just the way I am. Too bad if you don't like it.

As far as me being a musician has absolutely nothing to do with the relevance on my opinions. It just shows how big of a part music plays in my life. When I listen to music, I'll sit down and analyze it. I'll break it down. If I think it's good then I'll say it. If I think it's bad then I'll say that too. Sure, there's a lot of bands out there who I think don't deserve all of the awards, album sales and overall credit that they're receiving, but that still doesn't take away from the respect I have for them as a musician. Why do I have respect for them? Because they're up there doing something they love and receiving awards and honors that I probably will never receive in my lifetime. Like James Hetfield said in his acceptance speech (or was it Lars?): The Hall represents achieving your dreams. As much of a "pile of crap" it may be to some, it's still a huge honor to be inducted into it. Why? Because your name will live on forever.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 7 2009, 11:46 AM)

You can toss stones at me all you want...but NIRVANA belongs in the HOF.

stones are now being tossed................... biggrin.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 7 2009, 01:19 PM)

And what I said about Dream Theater 4 years ago has what to do with what we're talking about now? Oh yeah, that's right. My arrogance. Like I said, maybe I am arrogant. That's just the way I am. Too bad if you don't like it.

That was the point I was making. Thanks for agreeing, and confirming.

Nuff said.

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 7 2009, 02:10 AM)
Now, in the 00's, radio plays Metallica, but mostly plays the bulk of their 80's classic catalog. They choose to play the stuff that they wouldn't touch back during its initial run in the 80's. And they choose it over the stuff that they gave a ton of support to during the 90's...Go figure. You can't figure, 'cause it makes no sense, man.

And hence their 80's stuff is more mainstream NOW. Puppetking was correct in deciphering what I was trying to say earlier.

Just because Metallica got no airplay in the 80s doesn't mean they weren't a big band. I'm pretty sure most people in my high school (at least the ones that listened to 'rock') were aware of them which hardly made them an unknown commodity.

If Tick or anyone else honestly believes Metallica would not have made the HOF if the Black album was their last then they are sadly deluded.

QUOTE (J0N @ Apr 7 2009, 09:02 AM)
Rush must be planning to get in as well... Appearing on talk shows, planning to make a documentry movie, walk in parts on another 3 movies, making crappy albums over the last 15 years...

tongue.gif bolt.gif

Exactly. I think they're laying the foundation, regardless of what they say. They may not be actively seeking the attention but I also don't think they're running away from any of the attention either.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 7 2009, 02:11 PM)
QUOTE (J0N @ Apr 7 2009, 09:02 AM)
Rush must be planning to get in as well... Appearing on talk shows, planning to make a documentry movie, walk in parts on another 3 movies, making crappy albums over the last 15 years...

tongue.gif  bolt.gif

Exactly. I think they're laying the foundation, regardless of what they say. They may not be actively seeking the attention but I also don't think they're running away from any of the attention either.

And why should they be? They'll get in eventually on their own merits. Actively chasing that kind of recognition and actively avoiding it are equally pointless things to do.

I'm not one to bash on others simply based on their opinions, but when your defense has nothing but contradictory support backing your claims, you bring it upon yourself.

Given what I've read from Tick the last few years I'd consider him as much as anyone else on these boards, a troll. He's not as blatant as most, but this thread is another example of his behaviour.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 7 2009, 02:22 PM)
I'm not one to bash on others simply based on their opinions, but when your defense has nothing but contradictory support backing your claims, you bring it upon yourself.

Given what I've read from Tick the last few years I'd consider him as much as anyone else on these boards, a troll. He's not as blatant as most, but this thread is another example of his behaviour.

This is the part where I stop posting and let the thread play out. I can already tell this is about to get ugly. Once we start getting into calling longtime members trolls it's bad news. I'm staying out of the personal stuff. Let me know when we get back to talking about Metallica.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 7 2009, 05:07 PM)
QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 7 2009, 02:10 AM)
Now, in the 00's, radio plays Metallica, but mostly plays the bulk of their 80's classic catalog.  They choose to play the stuff that they wouldn't touch back during its initial run in the 80's.  And they choose it over the stuff that they gave a ton of support to during the 90's...Go figure.  You can't figure, 'cause it makes no sense, man.

And hence their 80's stuff is more mainstream NOW. Puppetking was correct in deciphering what I was trying to say earlier.

Just because Metallica got no airplay in the 80s doesn't mean they weren't a big band. I'm pretty sure most people in my high school (at least the ones that listened to 'rock') were aware of them which hardly made them an unknown commodity.

If Tick or anyone else honestly believes Metallica would not have made the HOF if the Black album was their last then they are sadly deluded.

Oh, you just a cunnin' and crafty sorta fella, now ain't cha there, Fred? Tryin' to assign messages and meanings to things in retrospect. That ain't whatcha was thinkin' the first go 'round tho. Don't chu try and pull a swifty on me, Matt.

And, regardless of whether they play more 80's Metallica, or more 90's Metallica at present, there is nothing mainstream-sounding about Metallica's 80's catalog. Nuthin' in the least, Mike. They might play the stuff more often now, but that doesn't change how un-conducive that brand of music is to mainstream radio airplay...in any era.

They wouldn't play any of the stuff back when it was fresh because it doesn't, in any way, shape or form, fit the formulaic 'radio format'. Metallica's 80's catalog features mostly tracks that are seven-plus minutes long, fairly progressive in nature, featuring heavy, crunching guitar licks, and featuring NO vocal hooks, choruses or harmonies. That kinda music violates all the rules of Pop radio airplay, Sven.

In contrast, their 90's singles like Turn The Page, Until It Sleeps and Do ya think I'm Sexy? are precisely what the doctor ordered. The abide by the rules of radio airplay. But, Metallica has become another Led Zeppelin, where they've grown so dang big that radio will play selections from their catalog which stand in stark contrast to the formula...But, you is a shifty one, Lenny. Lemme tell ya.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 06:27 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 7 2009, 02:22 PM)

This is the part where I stop posting and let the thread play out. I can already tell this is about to get ugly. Once we start getting into calling longtime members trolls it's bad news. I'm staying out of the personal stuff. Let me know when we get back to talking about Metallica.

Nah, I aint going there. I think calling me a troll deserves no real responce. eyesre4.gif Its too stupid to even dignify.atickhum.gif

QUOTE (naturalsciences101 @ Apr 7 2009, 06:32 PM)
Oh, you just a cunnin' and crafty sorta fella, now ain't cha there, Fred? Tryin' to assign messages and meanings to things in retrospect. That ain't whatcha was thinkin' the first go 'round tho. Don't chu try and pull a swifty on me, Matt.

And, regardless of whether they play more 80's Metallica, or more 90's Metallica at present, there is nothing mainstream-sounding about Metallica's 80's catalog. Nuthin' in the least, Mike. They might play the stuff more often now, but that doesn't change how un-conducive that brand of music is to mainstream radio airplay...in any era.

They wouldn't play any of the stuff back when it was fresh because it doesn't, in any way, shape or form, fit the formulaic 'radio format'. Metallica's 80's catalog features mostly tracks that are seven-plus minutes long, fairly progressive in nature, featuring heavy, crunching guitar licks, and featuring NO vocal hooks, choruses or harmonies. That kinda music violates all the rules of Pop radio airplay, Sven.

In contrast, their 90's singles like Turn The Page, Until It Sleeps and Do ya think I'm Sexy? are precisely what the doctor ordered. The abide by the rules of radio airplay. But, Metallica has become another Led Zeppelin, where they've grown so dang big that radio will play selections from their catalog which stand in stark contrast to the formula...But, you is a shifty one, Lenny. Lemme tell ya.

No need to get snide, Dick. tongue.gif

This is the kind of thread where I really wish Floydfanatic hadn't gotten banned. I haven't been told the entire Billboard charting history of Pink Floyd or Styx in the context of this thread, and that is concerning to me.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 07:24 PM)
This is the kind of thread where I really wish Floydfanatic hadn't gotten banned. I haven't been told the entire Billboard charting history of Pink Floyd or Styx in the context of this thread, and that is concerning to me.

Give it a bit it may show up.

QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 7 2009, 05:22 PM)

. this is in the top ten of the most stupid posts i have ever seen here . get a clue

Edited by metaldad

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 8 2009, 09:47 PM)
QUOTE (Rushian King @ Apr 7 2009, 05:22 PM)

. this is in the top ten of the most stupid posts i have ever seen here . get a clue

Yeah, I agree.

While I can honestly say that I pretty much completely disagree with Tick's opinions in this thread, I would not consider him any sort of "troll".

He has his opinions, and was stating them with passion. That's not being a "troll" in my books.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 8 2009, 10:04 PM)
Ha, I'm sitting in my dorm watching South Park and the Guitar Hero commercial with Metallica and the NCAA coaches just came on. Hilarious. I love it.

goodpost.gif That is quite funny.

Go Bobby Knight!

My $.02 on Metallica's radio airplay. After MoP went gold and they were blowing up arenas opening for Ozzy, some in radio actually responded to the phenomenon. Here it was the classic rock station (now Xtian) who had the vision to see Metallica's music as classics in the making and play cuts from AJFA and promoted Metallica in '88, not the 'flagship' rock station (which when it started in the 70's was an exemplary FM rock station). Their version of classic rock was pretty good: lotsa Sabbath, BOC; playing Animals or Relayer in their entirety...the flagship station didn't deign to play Metallica until the black album. Now, of course they're playing plenty of RtL and MoP cuts... 20 years later., along with the corporate crap bands like Puddle of Mudd, etc.

Anyhoo, JMVHO.

Edited by MalNarpet