Metallica gets into...

Tick

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 10:06 PM)
QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Apr 6 2009, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 6 2009, 05:24 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 6 2009, 05:34 PM)
I'm fairly certain it was what you consider their "good albums" (pre Load) that got them into the Rock Hall in the first place, so I don't really see where you're going with this argument. Their influence on metal is arguably unmatched to this day. Also, Master of Puppets is considered by many to be the greatest metal album of all time. No reason Metallica should not be in the Rock Hall.

Oh, and if making crappy albums is what it takes to get into the hall, then Yes should have a one way ticket. They made some really, really shitty albums after Relayer.

Kiss, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Styx, Journey, just to name a few are not in.

Why ? Because they did not become cartoon characters, who attention whored there way in.

"attention whored their way in"........ rofl3.gif

Dude, they are one of the most important Metal bands of ALL TIME. That is a fact.......

Yeah so ? Who gives a shit, thats not why they are where they are, and you know it. Read my last post. It makes perfect sense.

Examine what your saying for a minute and think hard...

The "rock and roll hall of fame" just inducted Metallica.... Say it again. Now say it again. Meditate on it.

Now read my last post again.

Your trying to give credit to a joke museum for getting something right ?

Meditate on that. Its bullshit if you think the reason they put them in is because there astute enough to recognize the brilliance of such an important act. eyesre4.gif You know its bullshit !

The same jackasses who have Ricky Nelson in, and Rush on the outs. wacko.gif

Yup, thats credible ?

Is it a little clearer now. trink38.gif

Are you going to contribute something new to the argument, or are you just going to keep acting like a broken record, repeating the same thing over and over again? So you don't like that Metallica got inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and that Rush hasn't. We get that. So you think the HOF is a joke. We get that too. Here's something I want you to meditate on:

WHO THE f**k CARES?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's just music. It's subjective. My ying to your yang. I could sit here and give you an argument as to why I think Mario Lemieux was a better hockey player than Wayne Gretzky, but I won't because it's pointless to and it wouldn't accomplish anything. Why should you care who gets into a Hall of Fame that you keep calling a joke? Should it really matter that much as to who is inducted and who isn't?

The "rock and roll hall of fame" just inducted Metallica.... Say it again. Now say it again. Meditate on it.

And if you really want to get technical, Heavy Metal is a genre that traces it's roots back to Rock N Roll. So technically, any metal band that gets inducted into a "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" would be deserving of the title and the honor. That didn't seem to stop them from inducting Black Sabbath, now did it?

QUOTE (naturalsciences101)
No, definitely not. Their popularity in the 90's was entirely dependent upon the foundation laid down by them during the 80's. Theirs is a fan base and a momentum that had been building slow and steady steam for a long, long time before it finally appeared on the public's radar.

But, those two Load albums are definitely an inspiration to many of the crappy bands that are around today. I don't know their names, but my cousin's kid has played some of this stuff on his computer and it all sounds like it is direct descendant of the two Load albums. Crappo begets more crap.

Even a close friend of mine has a band that he still writes music for and still plays out with on occasion. Well, actually the songs have been sitting around for quite some time now. The guy is no kid either...but the songs sound like a cross between the Load albums and the Creed albums. Real Pop drivel. And, I'm sure that a bunch of younger morons who only know these Pop-Rock albums have gone and written a smattering of songs which have used 90's Metallica and Creed as the template. Some writers are no more than the sum of their influences.

Be that as it may, I doubt that if you asked any of those bands what their influences are, they would say "yeah man, Metallica's Load album was a real touchstone for us, and shaped our sound." Metallica didn't start the so-called "post grunge" era (from which terrible bands like Creed and Nickelback emerged), they just sounded like everybody else sounded in that era. Whether you like that sound or not is subjective.

Edited by PuppetKing2112

Also, the idea of a kid "only knowing Metallica's '90s albums" in 2009 is silly. That may have been an issue at the time, but a young person just starting to get into Metallica is obviously going to start with Lightning, Puppets, And Justice, or the black album. I don't know anybody who listens to Load or Reload.

For the record, I think those two albums are somewhat underrated and have quite a bit of solid material between them. But that's my personal view, and it's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Doesn't pop icon status, mtv etc come from the body of work? Even if Metallica did get in because of their status from the last 20 years, and all the 'crappy' albums what got them that status? The early stuff.

Odd, that in the world today, people are getting really riled about who's in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and who isn't.

QUOTE (kazzman @ Apr 7 2009, 03:11 AM)
I'm fairly certain it was what you consider their "good albums" (pre Load) that got them into the Rock Hall in the first place, so I don't really see where you're going with this argument. Their influence on metal is arguably unmatched to this day. Also, Master of Puppets is considered by many to be the greatest metal album of all time. No reason Metallica should not be in the Rock Hall.

Oh, and if making crappy albums is what it takes to get into the hall, then Yes should have a one way ticket. They made some really, really shitty albums after Relayer.

Kiss, Rush, Yes, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Styx, Journey, just to name a few are not in.

Why ? Because they did not become cartoon characters, who attention whored there way in.

Dude, they are one of the most important Metal bands of ALL TIME. That is a fact.......

Yeah so ? Who gives a shit, thats not why they are where they are, and you know it. Read my last post. It makes perfect sense.

Meditate on that. Its bullshit if you think the reason they put them in is because there astute enough to recognize the brilliance of such an important act. eyesre4.gif You know its bullshit !

Yup, thats credible ?

Are you going to contribute something new to the argument, or are you just going to keep acting like a broken record, repeating the same thing over and over again? So you don't like that Metallica got inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and that Rush hasn't. We get that. So you think the HOF is a joke. We get that too. Here's something I want you to meditate on:

It's just music. It's subjective. My ying to your yang. I could sit here and give you an argument as to why I think Mario Lemieux was a better hockey player than Wayne Gretzky, but I won't because it's pointless to and it wouldn't accomplish anything. Why should you care who gets into a Hall of Fame that you keep calling a joke? Should it really matter that much as to who is inducted and who isn't?

And if you really want to get technical, Heavy Metal is a genre that traces it's roots back to Rock N Roll. So technically, any metal band that gets inducted into a "Rock N Roll Hall of Fame" would be deserving of the title and the honor. That didn't seem to stop them from inducting Black Sabbath, now did it?

Gretsky was better then Lemieux. No arguement there. eyesre4.gif

Your an arrogant person Kaz, and if you don't like my opinions, tough shit. moon.gif

Rush must be planning to get in as well... Appearing on talk shows, planning to make a documentry movie, walk in parts on another 3 movies, making crappy albums over the last 15 years...

tongue.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 02:24 AM)
I don't know anybody who listens to Load or Reload.

For the record, I think those two albums are somewhat underrated and have quite a bit of solid material between them. But that's my personal view, and it's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

laugh.gif Well, you know one right here. I'm one of those 'crazy' Metallica fans who actually enjoys those albums alot.

Like I said earlier, I'd be willing to hold 'Bleeding Me' and 'The Outlaw Torn' up beside some of their best stuff.

I also obviously agree with your second point. I think both albums bring alot of good material to the table. I think there is some obvious filler on each of the albums, but overall, if you take all of the strongest songs from both albums, you could make one hell of a great album IMO. Let's see:

1) Ain't My Bitch

2) Fuel

3) The Memory Remains

4) Until It Sleeps

5) The Unforgiven II

6) King Nothing

7) Bleeding Me

8) Carpe Diem Baby

9) Wasting My Hate

10) Prince Charming

11) Low Man's Lyric

12) The Thorn Within

13) Attitude

14) Fixxxer

15) The Outlaw Torn

Maybe they could call it FULLY LOADED?!? laugh.gif bolt.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 7 2009, 08:28 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 02:24 AM)
I don't know anybody who listens to Load or Reload.

laugh.gif Well, you know one right here. I'm one of those 'crazy' Metallica fans who actually enjoys those albums alot.

Like I said earlier, I'd be willing to hold 'Bleeding Me' and 'The Outlaw Torn' up beside some of their best stuff.

I also obviously agree with your second point. I think both albums bring alot of good material to the table. I think there is some obvious filler on each of the albums, but overall, if you take all of the strongest songs from both albums, you could make one hell of a great album IMO. Let's see:

1) Ain't My Bitch

2) Fuel

3) The Memory Remains

4) Until It Sleeps

5) The Unforgiven II

6) King Nothing

7) Bleeding Me

8) Carpe Diem Baby

9) Wasting My Hate

10) Prince Charming

11) Low Man's Lyric

12) The Thorn Within

13) Attitude

14) Fixxxer

15) The Outlaw Torn

Maybe they could call it FULLY LOADED?!? laugh.gif bolt.gif

nah , A LOAD OF SHIT would be a perfect title tongue.gif

1022.gif

Yup, thats credible ?

I really do appreciate your passion on this subject Tick, I just think your views are a little off IMO. I really respect your opinions here, but I think you're letting your dislike for Metallica get the best of you in this case.

There is a huge difference between bands that you want to get in or (don't want to get in) AND who actually deserves to get in.

If I was judging who should get in or not based purely on my personal tastes, big-time bands like Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones would NEVER make it into the Hall IMO. biggrin.gif

I'm not really a fan of either band, BUT I would look like a complete ass if I said they didn't deserve to get in. How could they not? Both have lasted 30+ years, have sold massive amounts of records, sold-out many tours (even to this day), and probably had a huge hand in influencing a number of bands over the years.

Also...and I say this as a HUGE KISS fan, all your talk about Metallica being "attention whores", and then following up with how KISS is NOT like that?! Seriously?

Who currently has their own family reality series? Oh yeah, GENE SIMMONS. Also, who SELLS their name on EVERY single possible thing out there (ie. Tombstones, Condoms, etc)? Again, I believe it's KISS.

You may not think of them as "sellouts" musically, but no band has done more to put themselves "out there" in the media spotlight, and NO musician is more of an "attention whore" than Mr. Simmons. yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 7 2009, 09:46 AM)

Yup, thats credible ?

I really do appreciate your passion on this subject Tick, I just think your views are a little off IMO. I really respect your opinions here, but I think you're letting your dislike for Metallica get the best of you in this case.

There is a huge difference between bands that you want to get in or (don't want to get in) AND who actually deserves to get in.

If I was judging who should get in or not based purely on my personal tastes, big-time bands like Aerosmith and The Rolling Stones would NEVER make it into the Hall IMO. biggrin.gif

I'm not really a fan of either band, BUT I would look like a complete ass if I said they didn't deserve to get in. How could they not? Both have lasted 30+ years, have sold massive amounts of records, sold-out many tours (even to this day), and probably had a huge hand in influencing a number of bands over the years.

Also...and I say this as a HUGE KISS fan, all your talk about Metallica being "attention whores", and then following up with how KISS is NOT like that?! Seriously?

Who currently has their own family reality series? Oh yeah, GENE SIMMONS. Also, who SELLS their name on EVERY single possible thing out there (ie. Tombstones, Condoms, etc)? Again, I believe it's KISS.

You may not think of them as "sellouts" musically, but no band has done more to put themselves "out there" in the media spotlight, and NO musician is more of an "attention whore" than Mr. Simmons. yes.gif

Your right on Gene and Kiss. They should in in. The voters must think Gene is a complete dick I guess ?

Someone needs to tell me why Ricky Nelson is in the rock hall of fame ?

That one baffles me greatly. wacko.gif

Lastly. Opinions are what they are, so mine is not necessarily the right one. Even though it is. tongue.gif trink38.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 10:01 AM)

Lastly. Opinions are what they are, so mine is not necessarily the right one. Even though it is. tongue.gif trink38.gif

I'll probably look like a moron here, but who the hell is Ricky Nelson? confused13.gif unsure.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 04:30 AM)

Yup, thats credible ?

Your an arrogant person Kaz, and if you don't like my opinions, tough shit. moon.gif

Too bad Kazzman is also completely right about everything in this thread (Hall of Fame/Metallica-related that is, I don't know shit about hockey so I can't say anything about that).

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 7 2009, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 10:01 AM)

Lastly. Opinions are what they are, so mine is not necessarily the right one. Even though it is. tongue.gif  trink38.gif

I'll probably look like a moron here, but who the hell is Ricky Nelson? confused13.gif unsure.gif

Exactly. trink36.gif

http://www.rickynelson.co.uk/images/albums/rickynelson.jpg

Hall of famer ! 1022.gif

Edited by tick

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 11:36 AM)
QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 04:30 AM)

Yup, thats credible ?

Too bad Kazzman is also completely right about everything in this thread (Hall of Fame/Metallica-related that is, I don't know shit about hockey so I can't say anything about that).

Too bad your both wrong. yes.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 08:30 AM)

Yup, thats credible ?

This coming from someone who refuses to take the other side of debate into question. Kazz hit the nail on the head with everything he's said thus far, and you've come back with nothing but the same old bullshit argument time and time again. Their pre Load material is what made them so well known in the public eye, it's what made them big enough for people to give a shit about them making Some Kind of Monster. You're too arrogant to realize that an artist's "shortcomings" in recent years does not by any means discredit their past work and influence on a genre. You claim that Yes should be in the rock hall, yet they completely conformed to pop culture with albums like Tormato and 90125. Should this discredit classics like Fragile and Close to the Edge? Of course not. I'm not one to bash on others simply based on their opinions, but when your defense has nothing but contradictory support backing your claims, you bring it upon yourself.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Apr 7 2009, 12:17 PM)

Yup, thats credible ?

This coming from someone who refuses to take the other side of debate into question. Kazz hit the nail on the head with everything he's said thus far, and you've come back with nothing but the same old bullshit argument time and time again. Their pre Load material is what made them so well known in the public eye, it's what made them big enough for people to give a shit about them making Some Kind of Monster. You're too arrogant to realize that an artist's "shortcomings" in recent years does not by any means discredit their past work and influence on a genre. You claim that Yes should be in the rock hall, yet they completely conformed to pop culture with albums like Tormato and 90125. Should this discredit classics like Fragile and Close to the Edge? Of course not. I'm not one to bash on others simply based on their opinions, but when your defense has nothing but contradictory support backing your claims, you bring it upon yourself.

I don't care who you think is right. Your all missing the boat, and the point.

I will repeat. Without them posturing to be pop icons, they aint in yet.

The whole forum can disagree for all I care, but it woudn't make you right.

Oh, and Kazz is exactly what I said he is, and I care not if you agree with that either. trink38.gif

When it comes to music, Puppethead, and Kazz are two of the most smug and arrogant on this board. Thats my opinion and once again. I can give two shits if you or anyone else agrees.

Edited by tick

Okay, just to be a little sarcastic and lighten to mood here;

Raise your hand if you think Nirvana will make it into the RRHOF before Rush.

*raises hand* laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 12:28 PM)

Yup, thats credible ?

Oh, and Kazz is exactly what I said he is, and I care not if you agree with that either. trink38.gif

When it comes to music, Puppethead, and Kazz are two of the most smug and arrogant on this board. Thats my opinion and once again. I can give two shits if you or anyone else agrees.

Yeah, dodge his Yes reference and namecall.

By the way, if you don't give a couple shits about what anyone else thinks and would rather just throw out insults, don't post on a forum. Talk to yourself.

QUOTE (baxtrice @ Apr 7 2009, 11:37 AM)
Okay, just to be a little sarcastic and lighten to mood here;

*raises hand* laugh.gif

You know what, in 5 years, NIRVANA will be inducted. If they aren't, it's a damn shame. Like RUSH, they belong there.

From what I recall, I don't think there are many Nirvana fans on this board, but regardless, NIRVANA was THE sh*t in the 90's. There were other great 'grunge' bands (ie. Alice In Chains, STP, Pearl Jam, etc), but Nirvana had arguably the biggest impact on the Grunge scene.

NEVERMIND is incredible, and to this day, still one of the most important albums ever released. It may not be for everyone, but you cannot deny its impact on music. yes.gif

You can toss stones at me all you want...but NIRVANA belongs in the HOF.

Oh, and if they make it in, they can't be accused of "attention whoring" themselves. It was well-documented that Kurt Cobain was never comfortable with the idea of being 'popular'. It essentially just happened.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 7 2009, 11:28 AM)

Yup, thats credible ?

I absolutely love the fact that you had to change the subject of the argument to me and puppetking being arrogant. That just goes to show how stupid this argument really has become. It seems like you're taking this a little too personal buddy. Maybe I'm wrong, in which that case I would love to be proven wrong.

Seriously? I'm arrogant? That's the best you can come up with? I dunno. I've studied music my entire life and I make my living based around music. Maybe I am arrogant. I'll take it as a compliment if I am. I could easily turn around and say the same thing about you, because you've most definitely shown qualities of arrogance, but I won't. Why? Because it's silly and childish to do so.

Again, I'll ask you this question because you keep dancing around it and not giving a straight answer: Why should you even care who gets in to the HOF when you call it a pile of crap?

laugh.gif Me.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 7 2009, 11:46 AM)
You can toss stones at me all you want...but NIRVANA belongs in the HOF.

Not tossing stones, trying to lighten the mood. smile.gif