Mastodon!!!!

RUSHMUSE

I'm gonna have to get back to ya on that one, son. I know that I like it to some degree....but, that 'degree' to which I like it is still yet undetermined. It's 'pending' further consideration and further examination. The approach is fundamentally different from the last effort. Not something that should rattle my bones considering that all the other Mastodon titles were departures from the earlier efforts. Probably will love it loads. Just have to slowly easy into this project with utmost caution.

In the interim, who of the Mastodon set still hasn't acquired Baroness's The Red Album yet? I'm tellin' ya guys, if you really dig where Mastodon has been in the past, and dig where they goin' now, then you will, no doubt, dig Baroness. I would say to go with their two early EPs as well. Why not? Plan on living twice? I think not. Aside from those three healthy titles, I would also think about acquiring that masterpiece from Giant Squid.

A Mastodon fan will surely flip over the first, full-length title from Giant Squid. That one is called Metridium Fields, friends. Damn, is that thing tasty. Yum! Maybe even more so than Blood Mountain. In fact, Mastodon - Blood Mountain, Giant Squid- Metridium Fields and Baroness - The Red Album is a modern trilogy of sludgy progression that will be difficult, if not impossible, to match. Whenever ya'll get these other two titles, please post your feelings on them here, yo. I'm curious to hear what these two other releases did to your mushy innards.

It's between Crack the Skye and Leviathan for my favorite. After that I'd actually take Remission over Blood Mountain, and then Lifesblood/Call of the Mastodon. I love all of them though, and those five albums are all I've been listening to for about a week now.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Mar 31 2009, 04:10 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHMUSE @ Mar 31 2009, 09:43 AM)
Metal is BACK!!!!

When did it go away?

confused13.gif

goodpost.gif

Big article in the new Rolling Stone about them has a couple of Rush comparisons. The band are fans too. Also calls Mastodon "the greatest metal band of their generation," which I, as a non-metalhead, can't really argue with.

Hmmm, they sounds interesting.

They're supporting Metallica, Alice In Chains(who's this DuVall guy?) & Thin Lizzy(wrong, wrong, wrong) in Dublin this year.

Who do they sound like?

Are they melodic, or is it all angry, shouty piss-up-against-the-wall stuff?

it is #11 on billboard this week

1022.gif

Anyone go and do this yet?

http://www.smnnews.com/WP/wp-content/baroness_fleurskull.jpg

It must be acknowledged that how good a band is has absolutely NO BEARING on whether that band will rise to national attention.

Actually, the success of bands like Mastodon and Tool are confounding to me because they're most defnitely anamolies in the grand scheme of things.

Their music is complex on more than one level and it's surprising that they've been accepted by the number of fans they have. Both bands seem much smarter than the population on average. It makes sense that things like Garth Brooks and Creed are popular, but not Mastodon and Tool.

Have you also noticed that people are always ready to grab for a band that's been accepted to some degree by the media, but they're reluctant to touch something that hasn't already garnered some media support?

What's with that? It's like we never outgrow our reverence of the media. Like, some clueless joe in a suit giving support to some band he's never heard of somehow lends credence to that band now. I still see that people have a problem getting into a band that hasn't been sold to them by Entertainment Tonight and the like.

Edited by naturalsciences101

I must say, after Blood Mountain, I expected this album to be a lot better. I've only listened to it a few times, but only a few of the songs have really grabbed me. On Blood Mountain, I thought almost every song was awesome. But hey, I'm not complaining... I guess I just had my expectations too high tongue.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 7 2009, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 7 2009, 02:39 PM)
Just playing Crack The Skye now. God, this is good stuff indeed.

1022.gif

It just keeps growing on me. I love all of it. Song of the day is Quintessence!

Every listen, another layer is peeled off. Amazing, absolutely amazing.

I finally got used to this frakkin thing....Now I simply just adore it. Love it to tiny bits, to smithers and beyond. It's a dense and complex work, this one....and it demands repeat spinnage 'fore the listener fully acquaints he-self with the material...and a tad longer 'fore he entirely appreciates what is being offered through 'im. This is a good 'un. No doubt, playa. Sho' is, pal. Real solid piece of Metallearing we got on our hands here with this 'un, huh'? And, a true case of reinventing the wheel, ta boot too. Gnome Sane? These guys know how to phrase things in such a manner that ya feel like you've never heard their particular language 'fore. My drug-addled noggin has definitely endured quite the many sonic beatdowns in the past, and a number of the physical variety as well, but none never so bewildering as what Mastodon has delivered unto me. It's a blessing bestowed unto me by the Gods. The Gods who inhabit the belly of The Mastodon. And, I'm appreciative. Don't think that I'm someone who doesn't count 'is blessins. They're all registered and tallied up, son. I'm gonna do right by them in the future. You watch. You see. Pay it Forward.

I will be seeing them a week from tomorrow!

I saw a setlist of a recent show and am quite psyched for the show.

Who else is going to see these guys? Storm Shadow are you still catching the show at Cats Cradle?

hu 05/07/09 Boston, MA House Of Blues

Fri 05/08/09 Philadelphia, PA Theatre Of The Living Arts

Sat 05/09/09 New York, NY Fillmore New York At Irving Plaza

Sun 05/10/09 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall Of Williamsburg

Tue 05/12/09 Washington, DC 9:30 Club

Wed 05/13/09 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle

Thu 05/14/09 Asheville, NC The Orange Peel

Fri 05/15/09 Atlanta, GA Center Stage

Fri 06/05/09 Sheffield, United Kingdom Corporation

Sat 06/06/09 Manchester, United Kingdom Academy 2

Sun 06/07/09 Glasgow, United Kingdom ABC1

Tue 06/09/09 London, United Kingdom O2 Academy Islington

Appearing with Metallica

Sun 06/14/09 Helsinki, Finland Hartwall Arena

Mon 06/15/09 Helsinki, Finland Hartwall Arena

Wed 06/17/09 Oslo, Norway Oslo Spektrum Arena ANS

Appearing at "Nova Rock Festival"

Fri 06/19/09 Nickelsdorf, Austria Pannonia Fields

Appearing at "Sonisphere Festival"

Sat 06/20/09 Nijmegen, Netherlands Goffertpark

Appearing at "Hellfest - Summer Open Air"

Sun 06/21/09 Clisson, France Hellfest Grounds

Appearing with Metallica

Mon 06/22/09 Assago, Italy Mediolanum Forum

Wed 06/24/09 Rome, Italy Pala Lottomatica

Appearing at "Graspop Metal Meeting"

Sat 06/27/09 Dessel, Belgium Boeretang

Appearing at "Gods Of Metal"

Sun 06/28/09 Bologna, Italy Arena Parco Nord

Appearing at "Rockwave Festival"

Tue 06/30/09 Athens, Greece Festival Grounds

Appearing at "With Full Force Festival"

Fri 07/03/09 Roitzschjora, Germany Flugplatz

Sat 07/04/09 Hockenheim, Germany Hockenheimring

Appearing at "Rock Werchter Festival"

Sun 07/05/09 Werchter, Belgium Festivalpark

Mon 07/06/09 Paris, France Le Trabendo

Appearing at "Optimus Alive! Festival"

Thu 07/09/09 Lisbon, Portugal Passeio Maritimo De Alges

Sat 07/11/09 Barcelona, Spain Barcelona Forum

Appearing with Metallica

Mon 07/13/09 Madrid, Spain Palacio de Deportes

Tue 07/14/09 Madrid, Spain Palacio de Deportes

Thu 07/16/09 Zurich, Switzerland Hallenstadion Zurich

Sat 07/18/09 Hultsfred, Sweden Folketspark

Appearing with Metallica

Mon 07/20/09 Copenhagen, Denmark Forum Copenhagen

Wed 07/22/09 Copenhagen, Denmark Forum Copenhagen

Thu 07/23/09 Copenhagen, Denmark Forum Copenhagen

I really quite like what I've heard so far, but the vocals are really rather poor, and a good singer would improve things considerably.