Weird or Gross Food Combinations Thread

-D-RocK-

QUOTE (Janie @ May 8 2009, 03:56 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 8 2009, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ May 8 2009, 07:06 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 7 2009, 10:58 PM)
Two of my favorites involving peanut butter:

1. Peanut butter and hummus together.

2. Peanut butter on tofu (uncooked) with salt.

YUM

I'm going to try that second one. I can see that being a good combination. I have tofu in the fridge. How exactly do you make this snack of yours?

for the tofu with peanut butter, first it has to be firm or extra firm tofu or it won't work. but it into strips (squares or rectangles) maybe 1/2 inch wide - then spread a THIN layer of peanut butter on top - this takes a little practice to spread it without breaking the tofu - it doesn't have to look perfect. if you cut a piece of tofu from a 1 pound block, it's easier to spread it on the inner part you cut, rather than the part that was on the surface - the part on the surface is smoother and actually harder to spread on to. then use a tiny bit of salt (or even spike) on top of it, and voila - a delicious snack. the salt is optional....

here's another one that i used to love even more before i gave up bread:

toast a piece of bread and then spread butter on it. on top of that add about a 1/2 inch layer of uncooked tofu and put salt on the top - it's unbelievably delicious. yes.gif

I'm trying both of those. They do sound good. Before you mentioned it, I was thinking it would be good to toast some bread up, spread on some pb and then crumble tofu on top.

That combines two foods I can't stand. Tofu and PB. (I do like tempeh, though).

A friend of my husband eats mustard and onion sandwiches. 062802puke_prv.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Janie @ May 8 2009, 12:56 PM)

YUM

I'm going to try that second one. I can see that being a good combination. I have tofu in the fridge. How exactly do you make this snack of yours?

for the tofu with peanut butter, first it has to be firm or extra firm tofu or it won't work. but it into strips (squares or rectangles) maybe 1/2 inch wide - then spread a THIN layer of peanut butter on top - this takes a little practice to spread it without breaking the tofu - it doesn't have to look perfect. if you cut a piece of tofu from a 1 pound block, it's easier to spread it on the inner part you cut, rather than the part that was on the surface - the part on the surface is smoother and actually harder to spread on to. then use a tiny bit of salt (or even spike) on top of it, and voila - a delicious snack. the salt is optional....

toast a piece of bread and then spread butter on it. on top of that add about a 1/2 inch layer of uncooked tofu and put salt on the top - it's unbelievably delicious. yes.gif

I'm trying both of those. They do sound good. Before you mentioned it, I was thinking it would be good to toast some bread up, spread on some pb and then crumble tofu on top.

Update: I tried the pb toast with tofu and it was great! Tofu has such a light taste though. It's important to have a thin layer of pb and a pretty decent amount of tofu on top of that and it's totally necessary to sprinkle salt on top of the tofu. All-in-all, it's a healthy snack. High in protein. A great way to boost your energy.

I didn't realize these were weird until pointed out to me:

- Dipping BBQ potato chips in cottage cheese. (Must be thick chips and extra dry cottage cheese. YUM!)

- Combining Ranch dressing and diced pickles with Top Ramen noodles. A old-time favorite I discovered when I was dirt poor and had three ingredients in the house. It's actually quite decent.

- Mayonnaise laden tomato and fried egg sandwiches. A boyfriend turned me onto these.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 10 2009, 09:11 AM)
I didn't realize these were weird until pointed out to me:

- Dipping BBQ potato chips in cottage cheese. (Must be thick chips and extra dry cottage cheese. YUM!)

- Combining Ranch dressing and diced pickles with Top Ramen noodles. A old-time favorite I discovered when I was dirt poor and had three ingredients in the house. It's actually quite decent.

- Mayonnaise laden tomato and fried egg sandwiches. A boyfriend turned me onto these.

you and I have the same taste in food Janie! I have eaten all those foods.

Also tuna fish with sliced up pickles stirred in with mayo, onions, bacon bits, carrots and rasted peppers.. with or without cheese.

Cream corn and ketchup

Yogurt and cereal with jam

QUOTE (Janie @ May 10 2009, 07:06 AM)

YUM

Update: I tried the pb toast with tofu and it was great! Tofu has such a light taste though. It's important to have a thin layer of pb and a pretty decent amount of tofu on top of that and it's totally necessary to sprinkle salt on top of the tofu. All-in-all, it's a healthy snack. High in protein. A great way to boost your energy.

This is my new favorite mid-afternoon pick-me-up snack I have with a cup of coffee.

Wheat toast, thin layer of crunchy pb with warmed up, crumbled tofu on top (with a little salt). Add a banana on the side and this is an incredibly healthy snack.

Thanks rushgoober! I never would have thought of putting this combination together. smile.gif

Rice cooked in turkey broth

Steamed veggies

soy sauce

plum sauce

chilli sauce

spaghetti sauce with beef and peppers

All mixed together

QUOTE (Janie @ May 11 2009, 03:22 PM)

YUM

This is my new favorite mid-afternoon pick-me-up snack I have with a cup of coffee.

Wheat toast, thin layer of crunchy pb with warmed up, crumbled tofu on top (with a little salt). Add a banana on the side and this is an incredibly healthy snack.

Thanks rushgoober! I never would have thought of putting this combination together. smile.gif

np smile.gif

i actually like tofu with peanut butter and salt by itself

OR

toast with butter, tofu and salt

i've never combined toast, peanut butter and tofu with salt all together but i'm sure that would be interesting.

lately i've been dipping celery sticks into peanut butter - yummy and very healthy if it's no-sugar pb.

celery is one of those foods that i love if it's dipped into peanut butter, or hummus or a nice dip or dressing, but by itself i find it really bland and somewhat unpleasant. celery rules with tuna fish and egg salad.

one place i used to work years ago would make this turkey salad consisting of small cubes of turkey, mayo and celery that was indescribably delicious - i'll have to make that myself one of these days here... unsure.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 06:22 AM)

YUM

np smile.gif

OR

i've never combined toast, peanut butter and tofu with salt all together but i'm sure that would be interesting.

lately i've been dipping celery sticks into peanut butter - yummy and very healthy if it's no-sugar pb.

celery is one of those foods that i love if it's dipped into peanut butter, or hummus or a nice dip or dressing, but by itself i find it really bland and somewhat unpleasant. celery rules with tuna fish and egg salad.

one place i used to work years ago would make this turkey salad consisting of small cubes of turkey, mayo and celery that was indescribably delicious - i'll have to make that myself one of these days here... unsure.gif

Celery with peanut butter is amazing! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ May 12 2009, 05:41 PM)
I was at a wedding reception the other day and they had a plate of bacon dipped in chocolate. It was actually not that bad.

this seems to be making a name for itself...been featured on The Food Network on at least 2 shows.

Again, and I don't know why......steak washed down with milk.

Talk about ruining a streak!!

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 7 2009, 04:34 PM)
Pita bread with French Onion dip smeared on it and letticue. OMG SOOOO GOOD! I just came up with this today. laugh.gif

Sounds interesting, 'specially the letticue, what is that?

QUOTE (-D-RocK- @ Jun 7 2009, 06:36 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Jun 7 2009, 04:34 PM)
Pita bread with French Onion dip smeared on it and letticue. OMG SOOOO GOOD! I just came up with this today. laugh.gif

Sounds interesting, 'specially the letticue, what is that?

It's a typo. eyesre4.gif

It actually was pretty good. Im having boneless grilled chicken, rice and steamed broccoli for dindin.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ May 12 2009, 02:59 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ May 12 2009, 06:22 AM)

YUM

np smile.gif

OR

Celery with peanut butter is amazing! biggrin.gif

add raisins to the peanut butter and it only gets better.

Last night my husband was eating leftover chicken-fried rice drenched in mustard. 062802puke_prv.gif

Of course, I do not like fried rice anyway, because it has eggs in it.

QUOTE (Janie @ Jun 17 2009, 05:06 AM)
I love mashed potatoes with ketchup.

I will only eat this combination at home, when no one else is around to give me a hard time about it.

You are wise about eating it only at home. You should be hiding & dining in the back of a closet in the basement with your bowl of ketchup-drenched mashed potatoes

pokey.gif tongue.gif

OK, the next time you're having hot sake, put three or four drops of soy sauce in it (your cup, that is, not the pitcher), it's really good! A friend of mine introduced me to this, he calls it a Black Samurai. laugh.gif

I rediscovered an old childhood favorite: barbecue potato chips with ketchup

The next time you have kielbasa or smoked sausage, try dipping it in spicy mustard. It's fantastic!

Archived