hey "older" Rush fans...

liddybuck01

I remember hearing Moving Pictures in fifth grade, as quite a few of my friends bought it.

I bought Signals when it was released, and have been a fan ever since.

I'm 38 now, and didn't get to see Rush live until HYF, but I am very thankful for my memories of those great shows.

But....but....I also believe that the shows since 2002 are just as great as the earlier shows. I have never seen Rush put on a sub-par show!

I love reading these stories of "older" Rush fans. Thanks for sharing guys. Us newcomers to the Rush "phaze" are terribly jealous. tongue.gif

Its been a good run.

The very first band I ever got into seriously and still my favorite. I started listening in the 10/11 year old range and then saw the permanent waves tour when I was 13( with my mom ). Seen every tour since except Presto. I am 42 now.

QUOTE (MrHands @ Dec 15 2008, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (Finbar @ Dec 15 2008, 03:48 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Dec 14 2008, 07:19 AM)
Concerts were $12.50, and T-shirts were $15, I think.

Yeah, it was cool.  653.gif

f*cker.

Best I can remember...

My ticket for Moving Pictures tour was $9.50, and I got front row, center for Power Windows for $40.

Those were the days...

right? my moving picture tic was also $9.50, and that was in the 'gold section' if only i could find my tiny baseball style MP shirt! damn!! boy, i'd photoshop my ticket if i could figure out how to make a flippin signature!! angry.gif

of course growing up, looking at the covers while listenting to the album, reading every credit and lyric. used to tent my album cover over the speakers while lying on the basement floor with my head between them - no ipods with bose headphones for us, boy!! tongue.gif old.gif

my hemispheres album is RED VINYL - bought it in Toronto on a school field trip - imigine my surprise when I opened it!

remember the pain in the *ss paper sleeve that held the album?

yep, a long and privileged ride with some of the most incredible musicians of out time. 2.gif tongue.gif

Wow, way back in the dark ages, old.gif after listening to a friend's copy of 2112, I remember cracking the seal on my own vinyl copy of 2112. That was of course, when they stopped making rock albums out of real rock. unsure.gif I've never turned back. I've eagerly awaited every release since then.

I remember my 1st Rush concert, Moving Pictures at age 18. What an experience. After the first show (of two), me and some guys followed Rush's limo after the concert. One guy had a camera with only a flash(lol) and proceeded to continue flashing the back of the limo on the way to the Watergate hotel in DC, just to make them think we were totally crazy about them(Crazy, but not totally). When we arrived at the hotel, we were blocked from following them to the back door, but they let us in after some guy yelled "Is this what we get for dedication"(I cringed big time when he yelled this). There we were- Me and three other guys standing right there with Geddy, Neil, and Alex at the small back entrance. It was surreal. They were standing there actually waiting for US. Just us guys and the boys right there, no-one else. I was in shock.. there was my idol Alex standing just three feet in front of me. My vocal chords were nearly paralyzed as I asked if I could shake his hand. He said "sure!". I was shaking and probably as pale as a ghost. They were the nicest guys, I'll never forget that. I left stunned and feeling completely spent from the adrenaline overload. It was an experience I'll never forget and laugh about to myself once in a long while. What you think of when you're just a kid, lmao.. Edited by GeminiRising79

I love all these old Rush stories from the older fans. Makes me wish that I grew up in the 70's and 80's Im only 20.

It also sucks to think that by time the year 2112 actually rolls around that all of us crazy Rush fans, including Rush themselves will be long gone. Almost crazy to think that this amazing thing called Rush will one day be just a memory. Atleast the music will outlast us all. eh.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Dec 16 2008, 03:39 PM)
I remember my 1st Rush concert, Moving Pictures at age 18. What an experience. After the first show (of two), me and some guys followed Rush's limo after the concert. One guy had a camera with only a flash(lol) and proceeded to continue flashing the back of the limo on the way to the Watergate hotel in DC, just to make them think we were totally crazy about them(Crazy, but not totally). When we arrived at the hotel, we were blocked from following them to the back door, but they let us in after some guy yelled "Is this what we get for dedication"(I cringed big time when he yelled this). There we were- Me and three other guys standing right there with Geddy, Neil, and Alex at the small back entrance. It was surreal. They were standing there actually waiting for US. Just us guys and the boys right there, no-one else. I was in shock.. there was my idol Alex standing just three feet in front of me. My vocal chords were nearly paralyzed as I asked if I could shake his hand. He said "sure!". I was shaking and probably as pale as a ghost. They were the nicest guys, I'll never forget that. I left stunned and feeling completely spent from the adrenaline overload. It was an experience I'll never forget and laugh about to myself once in a long while. What you think of when you're just a kid, lmao..

Wow , what a great post and experience. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif goodpost.gif trink39.gif

Back when MTV was new (and actually played music), we used to go to a friend's house and watch the channel all day and night. One evening a sound came out of the TV speakers and bit me on the ass: "Tom Sawyer," the ESL version. The hardness of it was new to me, someone who listened to pop stuff like the Go-Go's! I also liked the fast keyboard solo, the time and tempo changes, etc. And the image of the band appealed to me, too: I thought Geddy seemed dark and moody, maybe even witch-like, and I thought he had a certain cool detachment. I loved that; this was dangerous music! (I laugh at this early Rush impression; today, I love Rush for the opposite reason: they're NOT dark, moody, and detached!)

Soon I was appropriating my brother's copy of Moving Pictures, listening to the whole thing, and bought my own copy of the album just before high school resumed in the fall. Within a year I had the whole back catalogue. I had the Rush bug. (First concert wouldn't be until GUP in 1984.)

i was 10 when i saw my first concert: rush's new world tour. but i already loved them thru moving pictures. and it helped that mtv at the time was rush friendly...played smack dab between duran duran's "her name is rio" and men at work's "who can it be now?". laugh.gif . because of older bros, i was first introduced to them through a farewell to kings when i was about 5. they used to throw me in the closet with the lights off and blast the intro to cygnus x-1 with the speaker against the door. scared the crap outta me!

i went through junior high having the new albums grace under pressure and power windows and graduated high school alongside presto. i really have grown up with 2.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

I`m 36 years old, I`ve been playing the drums since I was a very young child, and I first heard Rush in 1982 on base in Quantico,Va (USMC) I was 10 years old!! By then I was playing the drums. I could play you a, "Mean" 4/4 beat back then rofl3.gif Just don`t ask me to crash a cymbal!!

I`ve been a fan ever since!!

I`ll let ya`ll decide if that makes me, "Old" But theres nothing like being a fan!!!

Quick Story.....

My daughter, ALEXandria, who turned 13 today!!!! was at our youth pastors house this past weekend for a Christmas Party. They were playing one of the Rockband type games on X-Box or one of the game platforms. They were scrolling through songs when Alex saw, "The Trees" She told them they had to play this. She played bass, and got a 95% on the hard level. She laughed at how much trouble the guy playing guitar had. She said she tried to warn him!!

Ya`ll take care